Japan Women's NT 2023

• WADA is not stepping up in the right times. She might get 2016 Koga'd if she continues this.

I dunno about that. It was going to be just a matter of time before data caught up to her. She had a less than stellar match tonight 5/12 with 3 freaking errors but I don't think that's been her pattern

Watanabe 5/9 and 4 blocks. I think she's been a solid player for years

• It was a nice effort on their part but still so much errors and still the same way of getting ahead in points but still losing. They still can't get past that. Mayu didn't even get to do anything. Koga with only 15 points is not it. Airi was also pretty underwhelming.

• If Wada fades away it'll be because she has no defensive game. I like her a lot but without D-Chops I lose interest. Her offense will diminish as the data and countermeasures roll in on her

• If Wada fades away it'll be because she has no defensive game. I like her a lot but without D-Chops I lose interest. Her offense will diminish as the data and countermeasures roll in on her

I hope that's not the case but if she doesn't get more hours during regular season I don't see how she's going to develop decent defense in time for Paris.

• I think the OPP position is bleak in terms of composition especially since Hayashi is such a special player in that she is one of the teams primary receiver too. The team is kind of a mess if she is off with the Koga-Inoue duo lol.

The next in-line are Wada and Nagaoka seems to be the biggest picks from the roster but they are not the greatest of defenders and barely used in the tournament. I do not if there are other options or maybe Kurugo's performance with Ageo (I heard they were already included in the long list) or have a Yamaguchi Mai situation. This season would be an interesting bench mark for sure. I just know Manabe is willing to make those unpopular opinion if he deem fit.

OT: China is a mess. Its looks like its gonna be SRB(3)-DOM(9)/TUR(1)-?/USA(2)-? with an African team and Six. That's 6 positions already. [JPN(8), BRA(4)],[ITA(5), POL(7) and NED(10)] still in the running. CHN(6) is practically a ranking qualification at this point. JPN's qualification is pretty much assured.

• I think the OPP position is bleak in terms of composition especially since Hayashi is such a special player in that she is one of the teams primary receiver too. The team is kind of a mess if she is off with the Koga-Inoue duo lol.

The next in-line are Wada and Nagaoka seems to be the biggest picks from the roster but they are not the greatest of defenders and barely used in the tournament. I do not if there are other options or maybe Kurugo's performance with Ageo (I heard they were already included in the long list) or have a Yamaguchi Mai situation. This season would be an interesting bench mark for sure. I just know Manabe is willing to make those unpopular opinion if he deem fit.

OT: China is a mess. Its looks like its gonna be SRB(3)-DOM(9)/TUR(1)-?/USA(2)-? with an African team and Six. That's 6 positions already. [JPN(8), BRA(4)],[ITA(5), POL(7) and NED(10)] still in the running. CHN(6) is practically a ranking qualification at this point. JPN's qualification is pretty much assured.

The reason Shinnabe and Sakoda did well during 2012 was because Sakoda didn't have to worry about her defense since Shinnabe was there to go in when she had to. The reason Nishida is successful is definitely not because he has D-chops alongside his massive jumps. I'm not saying it's not important but having a specialty gives players focus. Someone handles the offense while others take on the defense. Having 1 player that isn't good at defense but is the team's freakwhacker serves their purpose. Having multiple players good at defense without guns is going to keep them in this state forever.

• The reason Shinnabe and Sakoda did well during 2012 was because Sakoda didn't have to worry about her defense since Shinnabe was there to go in when she had to. The reason Nishida is successful is definitely not because he has D-chops alongside his massive jumps. I'm not saying it's not important but having a specialty gives players focus. Someone handles the offense while others take on the defense. Having 1 player that isn't good at defense but is the team's freakwhacker serves their purpose. Having multiple players good at defense without guns is going to keep them in this state forever.

I agree, but don't know if Wada is at freakwhacker level. If she is can she maintain it? Data collection is a bitch.

2012 was before my time so I also don't know if other teams back then had the dominant OPs that seem to be around today, making defense in position 1 more difficult/important

• I agree but I guess my message is more of having court time as an starter. Sakoda, Nabeya, Yamuguchi played significantly more in National team and their home team. Both Nagaoka and Wada are second stringers in there team and barely a presence in this current team.

Wada did well when she starts(vs USA probably is her best) but Manabe has really looks on Chokers and would defiantly remove at will, even if its a very shallow pool regardless. If Manabe deems to find other players, I would not be shocked. She has little options to prove herself outside the Nat'l team.

• I want Manabe to bring back Momii and Shibata but since that's not happening at least let Shibata join. I don't think their setter does anything for this team. I've seen her ace serves but that's hardly enough to convince anyone that she's good.

Koga was paired with Inoue so Koga can look good during difficult matches and to make Inoue fight Denso-level NT teams and Koga can take it easy. Recipe for Herbots disaster. Unlike the Hayashikawa pairing both girls compliment each others strengths this is of course my opinion but feel free to check all the stats so far to see the difference in their dynamics. Seki does not make a good pair with any of them she's just there which makes it all the more dull despite having 3 special allrounders.

Wada is new. She can probably redeem herself in the fight against Brazil with some proper backup. Her and Koga do not make a good duo either. But if she were paired with Ishikawa like during their first match against Turkey which was another close fight that they won, sparks may happen.

It's just so different when Araki was around because she kept Koga grounded. No one in this team can do that and the only other one isn't even in this squad. Sad.

• Wada is new. She can probably redeem herself in the fight against Brazil with some proper backup. Her and Koga do not make a good duo either. But if she were paired with Ishikawa like during their first match against Turkey which was another close fight that they won, sparks may happen.

It's just so different when Araki was around because she kept Koga grounded. No one in this team can do that and the only other one isn't even in this squad. Sad.

Mayu and Koga made an effective duo during VNL pandemic. I don't know why Manabe decided to not stick with it since Inoue came into the picture.

Also you guys are overreacting a little about Wada. One foot fault won't ruin her lol. She won't be the next Yoshino Sato.

• I agree with some of the points you made here. You're the first to point out that Mayu and Wada would make a good duo and I completely agree with that. First of all Japan won that match against Turkey because Vargas wasn't with the team but if she was, they most likely would have lost it too. That match was so sloppy. Koga made so many errors and almost all her serves flopped. Airi was always prematurely yanked despite doing well that was the weird part.