Japan Women's NT 2023

• Koga is about the same height as ChatchuOn and Gabi but with less intensity. Her swings aren't as sharp and her vertical doesn't pack as much force as the other 2. But I distinctly remember when Koga first came to the scene or the very first time I saw her, there was a lot more thunder to her spikes. Crazy how different it is from now. She's not built to be a terminator.

Her and Chatchu-On are on the same level of power to me. Neither are built to be terminators.

• In general,The Japan OHs are not trained to with explosiveness, which is funny coz teams like ITA and BRA has a long history of sub 6' players who can bring the house down. I think the closest they have to a power spiker is Inoue and Mayu.

OT: Not US losing against POL. There are now only 6 positions (SRB(3), TUR(1), FRA, African team, USA(2) and BRA(4)) assured but now, USA and BRA might be qualified via Continental qualification. Pool C is now wide open, who ever loses the ITA vs NED game would be eliminated - NED being ideally losing for JPN's chances for the Olympics. [GER(12), DOM(10)], [JPN(8), BRA(4)],[USA(2), ITA(5), POL(7) and NED(10)] still in the running. CHN(6) is highest team surely not qualified so far and the likely ASIAN rank qualifier(if JPN fails to win against BRA). If POL, NED and some team in Pool A pulls through. ITA(5) and CHN(6) is likely 9 -10th with JPN(8), either of DOM(10) or GER(12), and CAN(11) on the verge but is too close to tell.

• OT: Not US losing against POL. There are now only 6 positions (SRB(3), TUR(1), FRA, African team, USA(2) and BRA(4)) assured but now, USA and BRA might be qualified via Continental qualification. Pool C is now wide open, who ever loses the ITA vs NED game would be eliminated - NED being ideally losing for JPN's chances for the Olympics. [GER(12), DOM(10)], [JPN(8), BRA(4)],[USA(2), ITA(5), POL(7) and NED(10)] still in the running. CHN(6) is highest team surely not qualified so far and the likely ASIAN rank qualifier(if JPN fails to win against BRA). If POL, NED and some team in Pool A pulls through. ITA(5) and CHN(6) is likely 9 -10th with JPN(8), either of DOM(10) or GER(12), and CAN(11) on the verge but is too close to tell.

I don't have the brain power to digest all these "if" scenarios. Can you just tell me if you are comfortable and optimistic Japan makes Paris?

I always kick back and think: "If you want to advance you have to win games". Simpler :)

• I don't have the brain power to digest all these "if" scenarios. Can you just tell me if you are comfortable and optimistic Japan makes Paris?

I always kick back and think: "If you want to advance you have to win games". Simpler :)

Japan will make to Paris 100%, but i give them 40% to make from this tournament.

Japan would need to lose 8 games in VNL, against weaker teams to miss Paris.

• I should watch more J-VLeague teams lol. Not familiar of her.

Saiki might be the freakwhacker everyone wants but she's got no game beyond that. Most disappointing for me is that she doesn't seem to care about it. Would have been a lot better for her to be somewhere besides Okayama because Coach K doesn't care about serving or back attacking and if Saiki added one of those to things to her game it would huge

• Japan will make to Paris 100%, but i give them 40% to make from this tournament.

Japan would need to lose 8 games in VNL, against weaker teams to miss Paris.

Thanks. I like that second part

I'll come after you if they miss Paris :rolll:

• Saiki might be the freakwhacker everyone wants but she's got no game beyond that. Most disappointing for me is that she doesn't seem to care about it. Would have been a lot better for her to be somewhere besides Okayama because Coach K doesn't care about serving or back attacking and if Saiki added one of those to things to her game it would huge

Also Okayama coach doesn't even put her in a lot of the time. Lesser chances of improvement 😔

• Also Okayama coach doesn't even put her in a lot of the time. Lesser chances of improvement 😔

I don't think Okayama has a gang of training coaches either, to provide insider tips on improving details. Seems like Kawamoto or nothing

• Koga is about the same height as ChatchuOn and Gabi but with less intensity. Her swings aren't as sharp and her vertical doesn't pack as much force as the other 2. But I distinctly remember when Koga first came to the scene or the very first time I saw her, there was a lot more thunder to her spikes. Crazy how different it is from now. She's not built to be a terminator.

I don’t think Koga has ever been explosive. I still remember her spike speed during her early years in the NT, which only ranged from 75-83 km/hr. Ishii and Kurogo are even more powerful than her (85-91 km/hr spike speed). I recall watching a video that explained how you give up power when you prioritize accuracy and lose accuracy when you prioritize power. The Japanese are trained to hit like this, which is why they always spike with an “L-shaped” arm instead of rotating their whole arms like Gabi and Drews do (if you know what I mean). What makes Koga the player we know is her accuracy, agility, and versatility.

• I don’t think Koga has ever been explosive. I still remember her spike speed during her early years in the NT, which only ranged from 75-83 km/hr. Ishii and Kurogo are even more powerful than her (85-91 km/hr spike speed). I recall watching a video that explained how you give up power when you prioritize accuracy and lose accuracy when you prioritize power. The Japanese are trained to hit like this, which is why they always spike with an “L-shaped” arm instead of rotating their whole arms like Gabi and Drews do (if you know what I mean). What makes Koga the player we know is her accuracy, agility, and versatility.

I've been saying that for years. It's obvious when you think about it. Also, when you watch Uni-Ball girls or 9-ballers or some V2/V3 girls who have no ambition to climb the NT food chain, more of them swing like Gabi--one of the things I enjoy about those genres of Japanese volleyball

• If anybody is up for watching some Uni girls swing like Gabi at OOS balls (and have a vtv subscription), one of the Kyushu Block Round Empress Cup Finals is on right now between Fukuoka University and (next in line for V.League) Fukuoka Girasol

I think Fukuoka has a chance to win All Japan this year. They came in 3rd last year and are intact except for one OH. One of favorite Uni girls is #2 Miyu Kawazoe. Smart setter, Hulk Smashing MBs, and a ferocious little OP. They're all super adorable, too. Ask Julian Chow :)

• Canada would basically have to sweep VNL and win it and Japan go like 2-10 in the pool play round to not make it to Paris.

Okay. I feel better. litolapid made me nervous because she seemed (at least momentarily) nervous in one of her rundowns and I trust she knows her stuff

Something about lower ranked teams winning some spots here in the OQTs, leaving higher ranked teams to grab spots they should have ordinarily gotten here, causing squeamishness to occur in the fight for the ranking qualification spots. But like I say, I'm not equipped to understand most of it

• I've been saying that for years. It's obvious when you think about it. Also, when you watch Uni-Ball girls or 9-ballers or some V2/V3 girls who have no ambition to climb the NT food chain, more of them swing like Gabi--one of the things I enjoy about those genres of Japanese volleyball

I'm not sure which teams you're talking about but Koga in the context of strength, started out her NT recognition because of her being absolutely explosive. 2015 Koga had that smash going on.

Also Ishii stronger than Koga? in what universe? Zack Fair Ishii most definitely is not known for power. As for Kurogo, we all know Mayu now holds a bigger swing than her.

• I'm not sure which teams you're talking about but Koga in the context of strength, started out her NT recognition because of her being absolutely explosive. 2015 Koga had that smash going on.

Also Ishii stronger than Koga? in what universe? Zack Fair Ishii most definitely is not known for power. As for Kurogo, we all know Mayu now holds a bigger swing than her.

Did you mean to quote me there?

I'm innocent

• Precision is a limited skill set for volleyball players especially those at a height disadvantage and even more for players in charge of offense and defense. Maybe for setters it would benefit them but I don't see how that helps in evolving your swing against opponents who utilizes height and strength. Just see how they've lost to the Netherlands these past few years. Where did their technique in accuracy play a part?