Eurovolley 2023 (men)

• Surprised there's not a thread about this tournament so far.

Satisfied with our group as a Greek fan, think we could make it to the next round ahead of Romania and Israel and although the latter are not a threat in volleyball, they are hosts of group D so that makes them dangerous to say at least. Also it will be the 3rd straight time we'll be facing Portugal in the group stage.

Good thing is that in case we do qualify to the next round, none of the group B teams are unbeatable aside of Slovenia so I'm slighty optimstic about our campaign.

Satisfied with our group as a Greek fan, think we could make it to the next round ahead of Romania and Israel and although the latter are not a threat in volleyball, they are hosts of group D so that makes them dangerous to say at least. Also it will be the 3rd straight time we'll be facing Portugal in the group stage.

Good thing is that in case we do qualify to the next round, none of the group B teams are unbeatable aside of Slovenia so I'm slighty optimstic about our campaign.

Do you know if Anthi will join to the NT this season?

I don't really keep up with all the Men's NTs, but I do watch men's NCAA volleyball here in the US. Do you think Spyros Chakas of Hawai'i will make the roster? I'm not sure how he compares to other Greek OHs, but he's playing a high level here in the states.

• Well I think he was in the roster in some games, I remember him figuring in the last game against Norway. Tbh even if Greece ain't a deep team, we do have a few decent players in OHs, like Protopsaltis of Maaseik, Koumentakis of Olympiakos, Raptis of Paok and Andreopoulos of Taranto even though I'm not aware how's the latter doing this season. It would be hard for Chakas to make the roster ahead of someone of these guys.

• In preparation to the EC, Poland is hosting Memorial Hubert Wagner and France, Italy and Slovenia were invited.

Poland lost 0-3 against Slovenia, same result in the other match with Italy winning against France. I didn't see the matches, but I doubt they can provide valuable information for the upcoming championship.

• As I said before, it's difficult to extract valuable information from these friendly matches, but it looks like both Bottolo and Bovolenta are revving up. I won't be suprised if the latter will enjoy some playtime in relief of Romanò to be honest. Lavia wasn't bad too.

• Matthias

Changed the title of the thread from “Eurovolley 2023” to “Eurovolley 2023 (men)”.
  • Turkey won all friendlies so far (Japan, Egypt and Serbia) and it seems like yiğit Gulmezoglu is recovered from his injury and he will be in the final roster🎉 I have big hopes from the team for this ECh 🙏

• De Giorgi named the 14 players for the upcoming European Championship with basically no surprises among the calls. The best thing is that this team is still quite young, so there's still some room for improvement and a chance to see a lot of these guys in Los Angeles too.

S: Simone Giannelli, Riccardo Sbertoli.

OH: Mattia Bottolo, Daniele Lavia, Alessandro Michieletto, Tommaso Rinaldi.

MB: Gianluca Galassi, Leandro Mosca, Roberto Russo, Giovanni Sanguinetti.

OPP: Alessandro Bovolenta, Yuri Romanò.

LIB: Fabio Balaso, Leonardo Scanferla.

Very happy to see Bovolenta already a part of the senior group, he's a great prospect and if everything goes the right way he's going to be a cornerstone of the team for many years to come. Very sorry for Anzani though, I wish him a speedy recovery.

• It's nice to see Bovolenta here cause of the fact that Gironi ain't it. Him taking a spot in EC roster shouldn't create big expectations for shorty run tho, it might crack him. He still needs more time. I expect to see him play some minutes in geoup stage and then just experience the atmosphere.

• Turkey's roster

Setter: Arslan Ekşi-Arda Bostan

Opposite: Adis Lagumdzija-Kaan Gürbüz

OH: Mirza Lagumdzija-Efe Bayram-Burutay Subaşı-Yiğit Gülmezoğlu

MB: Faik Samet Güneş-Bedirhan Bülbül-Vahit Emre Savaş-Mert Matic

Libero: Berkay Bayraktar-Volkan Döne