Germany - VBL 1. Bundesliga 2023/24

• The volleyball players from Allianz MTV Stuttgart face a huge challenge in the quarter-finals of the Champions League. But sports director Kim Renkema said before the duel with Fenerbahce Istanbul: “I am convinced that we will have our opportunities.”

Ms. Renkema, your team is facing special days. The cup final will take place on March 3rd, followed by the quarter-finals in the Champions League. How big is the anticipation?

It is extremely large. Just because of the first leg of the quarter-finals of the Champions League on Tuesday evening, my heart beats a little faster.

Apparently not just you. The Scharrena is sold out . . .

. . . and we certainly could have sold them out twice for that game against Fenerbahce Istanbul. The interest was huge. On Monday alone we had to cancel hundreds of interested people. It will be a celebration – with an extraordinary atmosphere. Turkish fans are known for being very loud.

And the team for being very strong. Fenerbahce leads the table of the top league in Turkey.

The team is at the absolute top level and is well staffed from the first to the last squad position. And in Melissa Vargas they have an absolutely exceptional player on the team.

The one who was injured last.

But last weekend she was back on the field and introduced. This shows that Fenerbahce really wants them to play against us - which in turn is also an honor for us.

How do you rate your team's renewed push into the top eight teams in Europe?

We haven't achieved this for the first time - and yet for me it is and remains something magical. When you know that the top teams from Turkey, Italy or Poland sometimes have a budget that is five times as big as us, then that is a special achievement.

The Champions League is not lucrative, but it is important

Which is as possible?

By working well over the past few years and always putting our squad together wisely. It was also important that we were able to keep important players like Krystal Rivers, Roosa Koskelo and Maria Segura in Stuttgart for a long time.

What role does the prospect of successful participation in the Champions League play?

This is an important argument for many players - especially since we can't entice players with high salaries. This is why we have become a good address, especially for aspiring players; we can recommend you here for the next big step into one of the top leagues already mentioned. Although the Champions League does not bring us any direct financial gain, it is still very important for our club.

In Germany, there are always big question marks about the economic strength of many volleyball Bundesliga teams. Why can so much more be invested in this sport elsewhere?

To be honest, in some cases I wonder that too. There are some leagues that are financially thriving and it's hard to explain. Greece is one of them, as are Hungary and Ukraine. In countries like Italy or Poland, on the other hand, the sport of volleyball is much more important than in Germany, and companies are happy to invest a lot in the clubs. State funds also play a major role in Turkey. And of course the tax system also helps in some places. For us, gross is not the same as net.

Can the German Bundesliga close the gap a little in the future?

Unfortunately, it will be even more challenging.

Why?

A newly created professional league will start in the USA this year and there will be a lot of money in it. This will ensure that many talents from the colleges do not come to Europe in the first place. And that many who are already playing in Europe are returning to the US - probably up to 70 percent of them. This can already be felt on the transfer market and will have an impact on numerous leagues in Europe. This means our other good players are even more in the focus of Europe's top teams.

Is it even more important to enjoy the next two quarter-final games?

In any case, such a duel is the cherry on the cake for us. And there is actually no guarantee that we will still manage to reach the quarter-finals of the premier class.

And yet it may be that they will not play with the best team in the second leg in Istanbul - because the cup final is in Mannheim a few days later.

Basically, our players are used to playing a game every three or four days. Which is why I'm basically not worried. But one thing is also clear: the cup final is the even more important match. And if we don't have a chance in the first leg, we have to plan the second leg wisely with a view to Mannheim, because the travel strain also comes into play.

Will your team have no chance?

The opponent seems overwhelming, but I am convinced that we will have our opportunities. Especially since even with a team like Fenerbahce the players don't have their best day.

What will it matter?

We have to manage to show our fast game and get the hall behind us. We have to put a lot of pressure on the serve so that a player like Melissa Vargas can't develop to her full potential. Once Fenerbahce's attack gets rolling, it will be difficult for us.

• Portrait of Nova Marring: https://www.svz.de/sport/lokal…auf-nova-marring-46511615

Koslowski describes her development over the past few months as "crazy".

Marring is already looking forward to her second season in Schwerin. "It will feel like coming home," says Marring.

She would like to play in Italy in the future. But first she wants to improve her reception and learn to make even more consistent use of her advantages as a left-hander.

• Portrait of Nova Marring: https://www.svz.de/sport/lokal…auf-nova-marring-46511615

Koslowski describes her development over the past few months as "crazy".

Marring is already looking forward to her second season in Schwerin. "It will feel like coming home," says Marring.

She would like to play in Italy in the future. But first she wants to improve her reception and learn to make even more consistent use of her advantages as a left-hander.

Oh...I didn't know that she signed for two years! Lovely to have her in the Bundesliga next year as well.

• Schwerin lost in Tie-Break in Potsdam, i.e. Stuttgart stays at top in intermediate round and can cement it with a three point win against Dresden at home today.

The underdogs from Westphalia managed upsets in the bottom group: Aachen defeated Vilsbiburg in three sets as well as Münster against Wiesbaden.

• Schwerin lost in Tie-Break in Potsdam, i.e. Stuttgart stays at top in intermediate round and can cement it with a three point win against Dresden at home today.

The underdogs from Westphalia managed upsets in the bottom group: Aachen defeated Vilsbiburg in three sets as well as Münster against Wiesbaden.

Aachen is not in Westphalia :P But thanks to use the correct region wording für Münster!

• Intermediate Round 1-5

Potsdam - Schwerin 3:2 (24:26 25:23 25:13 24:26 15:13)

Stats

MVP: Rodica Buterez / Patricia Llabres

Intermediate Round 6-9

Aachen - Vilsbiburg 3:0 (26, 19, 17)

https://live.volleyball-bundesliga.de/2023-24/Women/2307.pdf

MVP: Jolijn De Haan / Pauline Martin

Münster - Wiesbaden 3:0 (19, 19, 20)

https://live.volleyball-bundesliga.de/2023-24/Women/2306.pdf

MVP: Luisa Van Clewe / Tanja Großer

With these results Aachen's playoff chances are still alive as well as Münster's chances for 6th place.

• After suffering from shoulder problems for months, Demi Korevaar now had surgery and is out for the rest of the season so Münster has to finish the season with just 2 MBs.

But I have to say that this is their own fault. I just don't understand how you can let a player play in pain for almost five months. And especially considering that you only have three middle blockers in the squad, I can't understand why you aren't looking for alternatives. Neuwied's league exit would have provided cost-effective alternatives.

• In an article from Mannheimer Morgens, which is unfortunately behind a pay wall, the future of the DVV Cup final is discussed a little. The SAP Arena in Mannheim will be the host of the cup final until next season. It is currently not known what will happen after the season. According to this article, there is a tendency for the cup final to continue to take place in Mannheim in its current form. There will also be discussions about bringing the final forward to Saturday.

Link: Wie die Zukunft des DVV-Pokalfinals in der Mannheimer SAP Arena aussieht

• In an article from Mannheimer Morgens, which is unfortunately behind a pay wall, the future of the DVV Cup final is discussed a little. The SAP Arena in Mannheim will be the host of the cup final until next season. It is currently not known what will happen after the season. According to this article, there is a tendency for the cup final to continue to take place in Mannheim in its current form. There will also be discussions about bringing the final forward to Saturday.

Link: Wie die Zukunft des DVV-Pokalfinals in der Mannheimer SAP Arena aussieht

There are only a few suitable halls in Germany for this event, and with this one DVV fared very well. Therefore I guess they will stick to it.

• There are only a few suitable halls in Germany for this event, and with this one DVV fared very well. Therefore I guess they will stick to it.

Personally, I think Mannheim and the SAP Arena as a hall are good as hosts and I could understand why they would decide to continue the partnership. I would also prefer a postponement to Saturday. Because this means you can push the games a little more into the evening than is possible on Sunday.

Nevertheless, there were at least from outside ideas about changing the current “format”. Because not every official likes it when, like last year, the women's game takes place after the men's game, and there were certain obscene comments from officials who of course wanted to remain anonymous. That's why there was the idea of introducing a Final Four tournament like it is done in Italy or Turkey. This would also mean that the women's and men's finals would be separated.

The SAP Arena in Mannheim would perhaps have been too big for such a tournament, which is why the Frankfurt am Main ball sports hall, for example, was brought into discussion. With a capacity of 5,002 seats, it would certainly not have been a problem to fill this hall given the good number of spectators at the women's Super Cup. But as I said, I know this discussion from outside the VBL and don't know to what extent the discussion also took place within the VBL.

• Stuttgart very well organised in the first set! Every player doing a great job👏

• Knollema is really good at hitting down the line:love:

• Clear 3-0 victory for Stuttgart, congrats! My MVP is Bongaerts, but probably Rivers will get it:)