Japan - V.League V1 (Division 1, Women) 2023-2024

• Kurobe, PFU and Aranmare have all put out tweets saying that all players and staff are accounted for from the Ishikawa earthquake.

PFU and Kurobe would have been the closest to the earthquake and Aranmare is further northeast.

It’s just heartbreaking !

There are reports two people lost their lives and many are injured. Many houses and other buildings have collapsed...

• Kurobe is going to host this weekend, but also matches may be canceled/postponed if not safe. Kurobe did work with government to try and ensure passable routes just in cause for teams.

PFU and Aranmare will play in Shiga this weekend. This is per press release on League webpage.

• what's the schedule for this coming weekend?

If I understood correctly, there are no changes to any of the matches despite some prefectures still experiencing aftershocks and possible earthquake dangers.

Official announcement here https://www.vleague.jp/topics/news_detail/22925

Check the matches here

https://www.vleague.jp/women/match_list/v1/

3 or 4 girls from V3 team Kanoa something I can't remember the full name, will be missing out on practice due to family emergency which obviously had something to do with the noto peninsula earthquake last Monday but I don't follow V3 in case you were wondering so I don't know how their schedule will proceed

• Since I can't watch the High School matches I didn't make a HS Championship thread and probably won't comment much about it, but there were a couple whoppers already in the First Round:

Miku Akimoto and Coach LoveBunny are going home after one match

Kyoei Gakuen 0 : 2 Shin'ai Girls

Higashi Kyushu Ryukoku 0 : 2 Shujitsu

Both terribly unfortunate First Round matchups that would have been very sad whichever way they went. I'm happy for Shujitsu since they got robbed last year from even competing, but a bit surprised about Shin'ai Girls. They had a really good team last year but all their best players/starters graduated, so I don't know what they're doing this year, but Kyoei must not have much more than Miku

• They dont stream it anywhere?

• to add.... the Finals will be streamed at Volleyballworld TV / VBTV.

I don't follow Haruko but why would VBW stream that but not Empress Cup finals or League Championship? I highly doubt HS volleyball gets more views than the latter? especially now that SEA interest have shifted to college players. Copyright issues or what?

• I don't follow Haruko but why would VBW stream that but not Empress Cup finals or League Championship? I highly doubt HS volleyball gets more views than the latter? especially now that SEA interest have shifted to college players. Copyright issues or what?

Empress Cup and the League are both streamed in VTV so that's probably why it's not easy for VBW to get it. The league has their own paid platform, and is actually available internationally. The Haruko is not on VTV, and can only be accessed in Japan (well, technically but VPN exists so I got to watch lol). Haruko Finals was also streamed last year on VBTV.

It would be great if VBTV can stream it all though :lol: especially they are really expanding reach in Asia. Starting this year, AVC tournaments will already be on VBTV.

• Empress Cup and the League are both streamed in VTV so that's probably why it's not easy for VBW to get it. The league has their own paid platform, and is actually available internationally. The Haruko is not on VTV, and can only be accessed in Japan (well, technically but VPN exists so I got to watch lol). Haruko Finals was also streamed last year on VBTV.

It would be great if VBTV can stream it all though :lol: especially they are really expanding reach in Asia. Starting this year, AVC tournaments will already be on VBTV.

easiest answer is that Fuji TV owns the rights, and Fuji TV worked with FIVB/VBW. League owns the rights for the League, and can do with it what they want. Hence way too many broadcasters, but also want it available domestically. We’ll see with the shift to the Superleague if VBW gets international broadcasts.

• I believe this is a good move for Prestige, moving Meso to OH instead of resting her when Nana Okamura plays OP. Hope it works out

• It's hard for me to watch Prestige be not so good at defense when that was their game in V2, scrappy and fun. I guess that's a difference between V1 and V2

I hate to say it ... Yuri Kimura's reception is good, but she looks kinda old on floor defense

• Hey! Derya is back :box:

• Been waiting for the Araki/Shion Duo to hit the floor :drink:

Kurogo starting for Saitama

• Pimpichaya seems like a setter's dream. She can adjust to almost anything

• Dani Drews is hitting 3/19. yikes. :aww: Can we have Rai instead :whistle:

I like Drews but don't like when imports get immunity locals players don't

Meanwhile, Koga is 17/23 error free (except for 3 serve errors)