Serbian Women's NT 2024

• Yeah but that performance rarely transfers to senior level, while players who are physically superior although not at their peak rn have much bigger chance at senior level.. Danilovic although being benched rn has much higher potential then Stjepovic and Simovski. That’s just my view on it

This girl Danilovic, is she related to WTA-player Olga Danilovic and her father, NBA-legend Predrag Danilovic?

• Boričić :rose:we finally gonna see Tisma take starting spot she deserves

I don’t know much about Vulović tbh

Vasović is gonna make this generation, which is already a mess, into even bigger mess..

And ofc Zekić gets youngest gen so he can force federation’s nepotism from youngest age so Tent players don’t lose their starting spots in any U NT category forward. I might be too harsh on a guy but I really don’t like him :down: especially after U17 disaster last year

• Boričić :rose:we finally gonna see Tisma take starting spot she deserves

I don’t know much about Vulović tbh

Vasović is gonna make this generation, which is already a mess, into even bigger mess..

And ofc Zekić gets youngest gen so he can force federation’s nepotism from youngest age so Tent players don’t lose their starting spots in any U NT category forward. I might be too harsh on a guy but I really don’t like him :down: especially after U17 disaster last year

Vulović promoted Klek last year to superleague, and Novi Sad almost this year, she is definitely good choice.

I don't think Vasović can do worst than Musulin last year with this generation.

Zekić don't do good job for years in u16, I don't know how he keep his job. Also he don't have good CV compared to rest.

• U20 team for Ech Qualifications in Vrnjacka Banja 4-6.4

Setters:

Elena Baić

Teodora Kričković

Opp:

Anastasija Ivković

Milica Vidačić

MB:

Djurdja Stanojević

Lana Mijačić

Bojana Miljević

L:

Višnja Žigić

Lara Žigić

Oh:

Ana Mihajlović

Simona Mateska

Dragana Korolija

Mina Stanojević

Sonja Danilović

______

Maša Kirov is not available, she played for Volero last night and have at least one more game in french 1/4.

• Random question: people who have a surname without '-vić' ending, do they have a different ethnical background, or coming from a different region of Serbia?

• Random question: people who have a surname without '-vić' ending, do they have a different ethnical background, or coming from a different region of Serbia?

Its not all ecompassing but it is most of Serbia and the ending would really just be "ic" that is almost 66 percent of the population although the v is very common too obviously.(Think like Rasic, Kurtagic, Jegdic, etc as some who don't have the v) the ending "ic" means "son of" which is why its so common and how it was adopted in Serbia. Like the son of Ivan given the surname Ivanovic back in the day

Yes, it's about region.

After ić, most common last name are finished with AC, CA, NIN, JA

Uzelac, Lisinac, Meljanac, Šarac...

Bjelica, Tica, Raduljica, Kusturica (movie maker), Koštunica (former president) and many more

Podraščanin, Gočanin, Bićanin...

Sakradžija, Korolija...

• Thanks for the answer guys (or girls😅)

Do these endings AC, CA, NIN, JA also mean 'son of'?

In Turkish we have '-oğlu' ending meaning exactly same, 'son of'. But it is not as common as Serbian surnames with -ic. Indeed most of Turkish surnames stem from nature such as rock, iron, steel, star, thunderbolt, hawk, falcon, lion, wolf etc 😂

It’s gonna be longer post for those who are interested. Short answer- Many of those surnames without “ić” have Serbian origin but from different region.

It’s more regional then anything, but even then there is no real rule to that.

2/3 of Serbian population have ić/ović

“IĆ” is suffix that means “the little one”

Jović for example would mean “little Jova”

same goes for Jokić for example

“OVIĆ” would mean “the little one of”

Jovović (our men NT setter) would mean “Jova’s little one, little one of Jova” or litterally Jova’s son

Bošković would literally mean “little one of Boško” basically Boško’s son.

This surnames are present all around Serbia but mostly native and concentrated in Kosovo, Southern and Western Serbia, Montenegro and Herzegovina (lands that are considered “old Serbia” from medieval times Serbian state). Due to high migration towards north during Ottoman times, now ić/ović surnames are present everywhere and they are almost unique to Serbian origin. Some of oldest and most common surnames (Jovanović, Djordjević, Stojanović etc) are native to Kosovo and South Serbia as a result of center of Christianization wave during Medieval times.

Popović, Petrović, Nikolić, Bošković are most common and likely native amongst Serbs in Montenegro, Western Serbia and Herzegovina.

Now, surnames that end with ac/ač/ar/ca etc.. are Serbian in origin but with different meaning then “ić” variety. Those are more prevalent in North, North West and Serbian part of Bosnia and can come from “job, occupation, nickname” like “Smith, Baker, Stone, Bird” in English. Those are just common words in Serbian language for different things like Kovač (smith) as some of more common and for example Tesla (Nikola Tesla) meaning “tool”, Uzelac meaning “the taken one” (roughly translated), Bjelica (white one).

Serbs of Northern and Middle Bosnia have large number of this random object version of surnames present. Examples Miš (mouse) Zec (rabbit), Kukolj etc..

Some surnames are taken during Ottoman times and have a meaning of how family was knows during those times, basketball player Jaramaz for example. They usually know their “ić” family surname they used before being known by nicknames of Turkish origin.

Lastly ov/ski surnames are not of Serbian origin but are present in Serbia for a long time and point out to that persons late late paternal ancestor being Bulgarian, Macedonian or Russian. Most of those people still identify as Serbs as they are present in Serbia for very long time. Some of those are of Macedonian origin that migarated to Serbia during Yugoslavian times.

Serbs of Muslim faith would have Turkish words as base and then Serbian “ić” ending to their surnames.

Serbs of Catholic/Protestant faith would have Austrian/Hungarian base and “ić”, but those are very rare.

Lastly there is big number of surnames of national minorities present and those are evidently of Hungarian, Croatian, Albanian, Slovak, Romanian, Bosnian origin.

• Thanks for the answer guys (or girls😅)

Do these endings AC, CA, NIN, JA also mean 'son of'?

In Turkish we have '-oğlu' ending meaning exactly same, 'son of'. But it is not as common as Serbian surnames with -ic. Indeed most of Turkish surnames stem from nature such as rock, iron, steel, star, thunderbolt, hawk, falcon, lion, wolf etc 😂

I don't know explanation for every one, someone are connected to family, some to region.

For example NIN are connected to region, while MatesKA is connected to male family, her brother is probably MatesKI. There is similar thing in Macedonia.

Or in Bulgaria, with OV/VA where father is Nikola and than girl is Nikolova and boy Nikolov. Also in other Slavic countries like Slovakia.

• I don't know explanation for every one, someone are connected to family, some to region.

For example NIN are connected to region

I totally forgot about those

Gočanin, Podraščanin etc..

Podraščanin would literally mean “the one from lower/below Raška” roughly translated, I guess :lol: haven’t heard of it other then for Marko Podraščanin

• Simona Mateska (OH, 2005) absolute MVP of U20 ECH qualification tournament and hopefully new star in the making :heart:

Still A LOT of work in front of her but she has everything to be great OH in future imo

• Good tournament for Mateska, attacking wise, she also can attack on the right with is plus.

Great player against her age, but still nowhere near vnl level at the moment.

Next club season is hers, she will probably play the whole season.