World Grand Prix 2010

• I am so proud of this Brazil's team. After Mari's injury, Paula entered and she was playing a great match and got injured too. In fact she was playing way better than Jaqueline in that match. After Paula's injury, Natália played really bad in the match against USA, but even so, the team didn't let USA open a comfortable lead and the tie-breaker was very close. A serve mistake by Sheilla gave USA the match point. WIth Sheilla on the back of the court, without being able to count on Natália's attacks, it was very obvious that Sheilla would be given the ball to try to score Brazil's 14th point and she ended up being blocked.

The score of Brazil's matches in the WGP so far were the following:

Brazil 2-3 Japan (25-13, 23-25, 25-18, 22-25, 13-15)
    We only lost in the tie-breaker by the minimum amount of points. And if we had played a little better in the 2nd set, we could have won this match in straight sets.
    Brazil's defense in this match just didn't exist and the team's attitude on court was not what we are used to see.

Brazil 3-1 Poland.(25-21, 23-25, 25-20, 25-17)
    Brazil's team performance against Poland didn't convince me. Poland helped Brazil a lot with their mistakes, they gave us an entire set in errors.

Brazil 2-3 USA (25-22, 19-25, 28-30, 25-17, 13-15)
    Again, if Brazil had played a bit better in the third set, we could have won this match in four sets. Even so, if it wasn't for Paula's injury and Natália's bad performance, I strongly believe we would beat the american team. Brazil lost its confidence in the second set when the American's team service started to cause trouble to Brazil in the second set. In the third set Brazil opened a comfortable lead but the team's mistakes brought USA back to the match. Even so, Brazil wasted a set point when the match was 25-24 for Brazil but then Brazil's team started to play much better in the fourth set and I believe we would keep on playing like that if it wasn't for Paula's problem and more importantly, for the fact that Natália played really bad in that match and as lacking confidence when she had to enter the court.

Brazil 3-0 Italy (25-18, 25-13, 25-16)
    Brazil played a great match against Italy. Natália played a great match too playing in the OH position and this was Brazil's best performance so far in the WGP final round. What's more is that we had lost to Italy in 4 sets in Brazil against Italy's B team and today's result show that Brazil's team have improved from the 1st week of the WGP until now.

It is nice to see Brazil's team fighting spirit. If we were to lose a match, let it be in the tie-breaker, by the minimum difference of points.

• USA winning set 1 vs China.....

same story, USA blocks are out of this world.... :thumbsup:

edit:

USA 2-0 vs China..... Wang blocked several times

edit:

USA 3-0 vs China 16 blocks for USA..... :dance6: :cup:

USA already put the gold medal in the bag that's for sure.

• It goes without saying that the US team block is good, but Wei Qiuyue sets in the counter-attacks helped USA a lot in this task. The american blockers didn't even have to run in the net, cause the ball was set right in front of the double blocking.

The American team is playing a very consistent volleyball, they are blocking well but what amazes me the most is their defense. They are defending like Italy was doing last year, which makes other teams a lot less confident when they attack.

• Oh...USA is so good :!: :white:

So... It's probably that tomorrow Poland-Italy is the bronze medal match :whistle: The question is: Can Brazil lose points against China ? Today USA showed how to play with China :super:

• After today sure is only that USA (gold) and Brazil (silver) will get medals. Rest, all 4 teams has got chance to take bronze. I think that everything will be clear after match Poland vs. Italy. I have no doubt, that USA and Brazil will win tomorrow matches, so Japan and China doesn't have got so big chances like Poland and Italy.

• It goes without saying that the US team block is good, but Wei Qiuyue sets in the counter-attacks helped USA a lot in this task. The american blockers didn't even have to run in the net, cause the ball was set right in front of the double blocking.

The American team is playing a very consistent volleyball, they are blocking well but what amazes me the most is their defense. They are defending like Italy was doing last year, which makes other teams a lot less confident when they attack.

Agree with you on this. The Chinese commentators were also very complimentary of USA's defense especially in that 3rd set. The whole team ,and Sykora and Tom especially, were playing like mad women on defense going after everything!

So great blocking in front and great defense backrow plus USA getting kills when they needed = victory.

Well deserved and now just one more opponent to face to claim gold.

• Oh...USA is so good :!: :white:

So... It's probably that tomorrow Poland-Italy is the bronze medal match :whistle: The question is: Can Brazil lose points against China ? Today USA showed how to play with China :super:

You're right. The champion is the United States and the vice is Brazil .. How things can be funny .. The Poland that until now had not won any games .. You can finish in 3?? This edition of WGP had been marked by the balance of the teams ..

• Current standing after round 4

1 USA USA 10 4 360 342 1.053 12 4 3.000
    2 BRA Brazil 8 2 2 391 335 1.167 10 7 1.429
    3 CHN China 6 2 2 302 298 1.013 6 7 0.857
    4 JPN Japan 4 2 2 388 408 0.951 8 10 0.800
    5 POL Poland 4 1 3 341 357 0.955 6 10 0.600
    6 ITA Italy 4 1 3 281 323 0.870 5 9 0.556

Note: Match won 3-0 or 3-1: 3 points for the winner, 0 point for the loser
    Match won 3-2: 2 points for the winner, 1 point for the loser
    In case of tie, the teams will be classified according to the following criteria: number of matches won, points ratio and sets ratio

United states still needs two sets to win their 3rd WGP title, its a piece of cake for them im sure
    Brasil needs a win to China to ensure their second place.
    Italy or Poland is still alive for top 3 if one of them win with a 3-0 or 3-1
    Japan and China are gonna be really difficult on the last days fights facing strong US and BRA respectively

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• Wow, what a game! Superb display of defense from both USA and China!

But yeah! What a fine performance by the American girls.

I think USA is at least assured of the Silver, they could get gold if they beat Japan tomorrow. Hope they won't allow Japan to defeat them (as much as I love Saori and Ebata :lol: )

I agree with everyone in a way..hehehehe

The american girls are in great shape, and still have so many out of the team, it is incredible how many options McCutcheon is making for the team...(just to imagine Harmotto is out now, and she did incredible in first tournaments....and if you think, in place of who she can enter???IT is really hard to think..heheh but I guess that is a doubt that all coaches want!!heheheh)

Mccutcheon is trying to create some depth on multiple positions. As what Joana mentioned, Harmotto and Paolini may not be travelling with the team but they're very capable MBs. What's good about the 2 is that they are still young (both 23 y/o) and will be playing in Italy this coming professional season. So losing Bown or Tamas after the olympics wouldn't be much a problem. Same goes for the OH.. USA has Hodge and Barboza (Plus Kim Glass) on the bench yet they're very capable and young as well. (Hodge is 22, Barboza 23)...Losing Tom in the future is a huge blow but I am sure somebody will step up! Glass is 22 and phenomenal at the setting position. She'll have that spot together with whoever (Berg or Spicer or Thompson) for the next few years! And most importantly, the Opposite. Hooker is young as well so she'll be able to play for many years as well...plus the back up, Nnamani and Fawcett are very good.

"[size=8]It's years and years of work and sacrifice and dedication. Along with a lot of these girls, we've sweat and we've bled and we've cried together in past Olympics. It just brought tears to my eyes, & I'm more than thrilled. This will be forever." -LOGAN MAILE LEI TOM (Silver Medallist - 2008 Beijing & 2012 London Olympic Games, 2011 World Cup runner up, 2003 & 2007 World Cup 3rd place, 2002 World Champs runner up, 4-time World GrandPrix Champs)

• You're right. The champion is the United States and the vice is Brazil .. How things can be funny .. The Poland that until now had not won any games .. You can finish in 3?? This edition of WGP had been marked by the balance of the teams ..

Oh..In fact we've got a second chance after stupid defeat against USA 8) I'm sure that our girls can win this match but I know that POL isn't a better team than ITA. Italy doesn't show a great volleyball in this Grand Prix and this is a source of our hopes. :P I suppose that on World Championships ITA will be as strong as on World Cup 2007.

• Oh..In fact we've got a second chance after stupid defeat against USA 8) I'm sure that our girls can win this match but I know that POL isn't a better team than ITA. Italy doesn't show a great volleyball in this Grand Prix and this is a source of our hopes. :P I suppose that on World Championships ITA will be as strong as on World Cup 2007.

Let's tell the truth .. Neither would speak Polish more confident that his team would get medals until yesterday .. I do not know if it would be fair .. But rules are rules .. Japan lost the podium today ..

• FAIR!? What do you mean?

Because during the final round of the competition .. I think Japan and China deserved win over third place from the Polonia .. Because they had a better volleyball .. So the Asians have lost key games and the victories counted few points ..

• Because during the final round of the competition .. I think Japan and China deserved win over third place from the Polonia .. Because they had a better volleyball .. So the Asians have lost key games and the victories counted few points ..

The first letters of volleyball alphabet tells, that THERE IS NO TEAM, THAT DESERVE FOR SOMETHING! You have to win these.

So CHN lost 0-3 to USA, it's disappointing, but not as bad as the score board looks. CHN's MBs performance were partly hindered by their multiple injuries. :( Also, I'm totally with you that Wei Qiuyue are not good enough to carry this team on, neither is Li Juan. Now the starting setter and the opposite are the major weakness of this team, but change will not come easily as it should be. Wei and Li come from the same city with head coach Wang Baoquan, who served for the same club in Tianjin together for the last decade. I highly doubt Wang's guts to cut off any of his fellow-citizens, including Chen Liyi and his own daughter, Wang Qian, from national team. And there won't be major changes before the end of world championship, we just have to accept it and endure it whatsoever. Hopefully with Hui Ruoqi's back, CHN probably could make it into semi-finals, that's as much I can expect. :wall:

• Oh..In fact we've got a second chance after stupid defeat against USA 8) I'm sure that our girls can win this match but I know that POL isn't a better team than ITA. Italy doesn't show a great volleyball in this Grand Prix and this is a source of our hopes. :P I suppose that on World Championships ITA will be as strong as on World Cup 2007.

I think ITALI need Swing Spike, Opposite Hitter and Middle Blocker more......Angeloni, Pincerato, Melo, Guiggi, Ravetta.....

• In order to garantee the Silver Medal of the FIVB WGP all Brazil needs is 1 point in the match against China. So, if the match against China goes to the tie-breaker, we'll already garantee the 2nd place in the WGP 2010.

If USA beats Japan they will garantee the Gold Medal.
    In case Japan beats USA in 5-sets, Brazil needs a 3 or 4 set win to garantee the Gold Medal.
    If Japan beats USA in 3 or 4 sets, then a victory in the tie-breaker against China will be enough for Brazil.

In case China defeats Brazil in 3 or 4 sets, Brazil will be awarded the Bronze Medal this WGP.

I believe Japan played caused lots of trouble to Brazil and Italy. USA's only easy victory so far was against Italy. Poland and Brazil could have won their matches against USA. Even China was leading the match against USA when the score was near the 20th point. I believe that a Japanese victory is very difficult, but not impossible at all. Anyway, If Brazil were to lose a tournament, let it be the FIVB WCH. I only hope all the misfortune of Brazil's team this WGP were followed by a period of good luck during the WCH.

• Actually, USA just need one point to have Gold MEdal. Even if they loose to Japan in tie-break, they go to 11 points, if Brasil win 3x-0 or 3x1 also goes to 11 points, but USA has one more victory, would be 4 victories-1 defeat, and Brasil 3 victories and 2 defeats, so USA recieves gold.
    The only chance for Braisl is to win 3x0/3x1 China and Japan beats USA 3x0/3x1