2014 FIVB World Championship - Italy - 9/23

• Argentina qualified to Italy 2014! Already 2 sets up (25-20, 25-19) :super: :drink: Castiglione and Nizetich are playing a good match! This is Bastit´s job, who despite of the several loses against Peru, he kept his process with many young players (Fresco, Curatola, Fernandez, Gaido). He commented many times: "Peru is still some steps up because there are veterans like Keldivekova, Chihuan, Soto and Zamudio. Once they retire, Peru doesnt have good players for replace them". And he was right. Fortunately FEVA respected his process despite of the defeats. In other hand, Peru has had 4 trainers in 3 years and the age gap between players is too big (older 37 years, younger 16). I hope FEVA can convince Bossio in order to play the WCH, she is a young player with a great future. And also, Orduna has to look for other MBs.
    What a pity for Peru. Since 2010, they have been walking backwards. I´d like to see Leyva in WCH.

Last time was in Germany 2002 (there were Costagrande, Lamas and Pinedo)

• Argentina won 25-20, 25-19, 13-9 and the Peru coach forfeited the match (!) because he disagreed with a point the referee gave to Argentina in the third set when everything was already decided!

8| this is the most stupid and ashaming thing I have ever seen a coach do.

• Argentina won 25-20, 25-19, 13-9 and the Peru coach forfeited the match (!) because he disagreed with a point the referee gave to Argentina in the third set when everything was already decided!

8| this is the most ashaming thing I have ever seen a coach do.

This coach is a joke :D I dont know if you watched the SouthAmerican championship, but he was close to the same when Peru played against Colombia. And well, that coach even doesnt know how to speak spanish or english :lol:

• And also, Orduna has to look for other MBs.

I'm not knowledgeable in Women's volleyball as I'm in Men's (in Women's I only follow national team), but at least this Busquets girl doesn't seem too bad for me, she has good height for argentine standars and she isn't old, she can keep improving. Are you sure of that?

I think they have to improve reception though, they could have won a lot easier today if it had been a bit better.

• Points stats + video of the incident:

Argentina: Yael Castiglione (8 ), Lucía Fresco (16); Florencia Busquets (5), Emilce Sosa (5); Yamila Nizetich (8 ), Josefina Fernández (2).

Perú: Alexandra Muñoz (1), Raffaella Camet (1); Mirtha Uribe (3), Clarivett Yllescas (6); Ángela Leyva, Karla Ortiz (2). Subs: Zoila La Rosa (1), Yulissa Zamudio (5), Angélica Aquino (6).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?f…er_embedded&v=YrdPlkhQ8_o

• Argentina 3-0 Peru to secure the ticket for WCH 2014 in Italy, 25-20, 25-19, 25-9

Argentina: Yael Castiglione (8 ), Lucía Fresco (16); Florencia Busquets (5), Emilce Sosa (5); Yamila Nizetich (8 ), Josefina Fernández (2). Líbero: Lucía Gaido.
    Substitution: Tatiana Rizzo.

Perú: Alexandra Muñoz (1), Raffaella Camet (1); Mirtha Uribe (3), Clarivett Yllescas (6); Ángela Leyva, Karla Ortiz (2). Líbero: Vanessa Palacios
    Substitution: Zoila La Rosa (1), Yulissa Zamudio (5), Angélica Aquino (6).

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

Edited once, last by pappi ().

• I'm not knowledgeable in Women's volleyball as I'm in Men's (in Women's I only follow national team), but at least this Busquets girl doesn't seem too bad for me, she has good height for argentine standars and she isn't old, she can keep improving. Are you sure of that?

I think they have to improve reception though, they could have won a lot easier today if it had been a bit better.

I dont follow so much women´s vball either. Argentinian League is very poor, 2 years ago there were just 4 teams :gone: As you said, for the argentine standard she isnt too bad and she is still young, but for a WCH, she has to improve tons of tons. Argentina has never had a good MB. The only exception is Sosa, that despite of her 180 cms, she is able to block and spike in a good level. The other MB (Busquets, Carlotto,etc) can block teams like Peru, but against other teams, no more than 3 points per set. Orduna has to look for a 3rd MB in order to increase the competition between them. Busquets has improved a little when she played in peruvian league, but it isnt enough.

It´s like playing with 5. In reception, Gaido does a good job and Yamila can improve a lot now that she will play in Russia. :)

Btw, according to CSV, Argetina won 25-0, 25-0, 25-0 8|

• I dont follow so much women´s vball either. Argentinian League is very poor, 2 years ago there were just 4 teams :gone: As you said, for the argentine standard she isnt too bad and she is still young, but for a WCH, she has to improve tons of tons. Argentina has never had a good MB. The only exception is Sosa, that despite of her 180 cms, she is able to block and spike in a good level. The other MB (Busquets, Carlotto,etc) can block teams like Peru, but against other teams, no more than 3 points per set. Orduna has to look for a 3rd MB in order to increase the competition between them. Busquets has improved a little when she played in peruvian league, but it isnt enough.

It´s like playing with 5. In reception, Gaido does a good job and Yamila can improve a lot now that she will play in Russia. :)

Maybe Tibaldo and Enrique of U-18 team could start to get some calls? they are both 190cm at their age and had good block stats in WCh.

• the teams qualified in WCh 2014 in Italy (updated by Oct 21, 2013):

Host (1): Italy
    Asia Qualifier Pool A (2): Japan, Thailand
    Euro Championship finalist (2): Russia, Germany
    South America Champion (1) - Brazil
    Asia Qualifier Pool B (2) - China, Kazakhstan
    South America Qualifier (1) - Argentina

Africa Qualifier Final Pool Winner (2) - determined in Jan, 2014

Pool A (ALG): Algeria, Egypt, tbc, tbc, tbc, tbc, tbc
    Pool B (KEN): Kenya, Seychelles, Uganda, Tunisia, tbc, tbc, tbc

Europe Qualifier Final Pool Winner (5+2) - determined in Jan, 2014

Pool I (TUR): Turkey, Romania, Ukraine, Cyprus
    Pool J (AZE): Azerbaijan, Serbia, Israel, Estonia
    Pool K (POL): Poland, Spain, Belgium, Switzerland
    Pool L (CRO): Croatia, Netherlands, France, Hungary
    Pool M (BUL): Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Belarus

Norceca Qualifier Final Pool Winner (5) - determined in Jun, 2014

Pool O (USA): United States, Guatemala, Panama, Honduras
    Pool P (DOM): Dominican Rep., Nigaragua, El Salvador, Guadeloupe
    Pool Q (CUB): Guba, Trinidad & Tobago, Guracao, Haiti
    Pool R (PUR): Puerto Rico, Costa Rica, Saint Lucia, Barbados
    Pool S (CAN): Canada, Mexico, US Virgin Islands, Jamaica

Norceca Continental Play-off (1) - determined in Jul, 2014

to be me...

• Btw, according to CSV, Argetina won 25-0, 25-0, 25-0 8|

the head coach of Peru retired his team in the middle of the third set by 13-9, therefore, the Peruvian team was declared absent and the official result came in 25–0, 25–0, 25–0

to be me...

• Fresco 16 points...strange, because her German club team today told that she has a shoulder injury and might be out for some time :what: :white:

• Fresco 16 points...strange, because her German club team today told that she has a shoulder injury and might be out for some time :what: :white:

She didn't look injured at all nor did anything in particular happened during the match to her... perhaps it could be some injury she's been carrying over for a while?

• She didn't look injured at all nor did anything in particular happened during the match to her... perhaps it could be some injury she's been carrying over for a while?

In the video posted above I saw that she actually has a taped shoulder, so maybe there is some kind of injury, but I think she shouldn't have played if it was any serious...so maybe she just needs some rest.

• In the video posted above I saw that she actually has a taped shoulder, so maybe there is some kind of injury, but I think she shouldn't have played if it was any serious...so maybe she just needs some rest.

She also had that in the southamerican championship a month ago, dunno about it :(

But it was the most important match for the national team in more than 10 years, there was just no way she would choose to not play.

• She also had that in the southamerican championship a month ago, dunno about it :(

But it was the most important match for the national team in more than 10 years, there was just no way she would choose to not play.

I asked on the club's FB page, they replied that their information is that she has a serious shoulder injury and might even miss the whole season, and only she and Argentina federation can know why she had to play :| :S

• I asked on the club's FB page, they replied that their information is that she has a serious shoulder injury and might even miss the whole season, and only she and Argentina federation can know why she had to play :| :S

The whole season??? i've never heard of a shoulder injury that stops you for such long time!

• According to the CSV's rules, 2 years in abeyance is what a team will get for quitting a match. Nonetheless, there's no call so far.

I will only say what I already said before in the South American Championship's thread: why this korean coach? You are going nowhere. I know Peru succeed with a korean coach in the 80's, but that's another question. He's screwing up your team. Most of korean coaches are actually really bad. Look at the Korea NT. Their calls are a complete failure. You'll be out of Rio with this coach is kept and I'm pretty sure you aren't looking forward to it.

• Any ideas how the pools will be grouped onto venues in Italy once qualification ends? Or is that too early to decide? I'm interested in knowing where Italy will play the group games, and what venues will host the final stages, etc?

• Spanish NT coach, Pascual Saurín, has announced the list of the players who will fight next january in WCH qualf. A very unnexperienced and young team with 5 new faces:

Setters:
    Silvia Araco 12/08/1989
    María José Corral 01/01/1991

Opposites:
    Milagros Collar 15/04/1988
    Jessica Rivero 15/03/1995 (also OH)

Middle Blockers:
    Ana Belén Pérez 17/03/1981
    Mabel Caro 13/03/1991
    Carlota García 21/02/1992
    Tatiana Becares 18/03/1993

Outside Hitters: