2013 FIVB World Grand Prix

• I think Durr used to be best german libero until 2 years ago. She was better than Tzscherlich, who's to be one of the weakest main libero among all NTs. But when Bujs came to Schwerin she improved so damnly! I remember her match against Villa Cortese, she was a dig machine! She is even so stable receiver. Durr is not that young right now (she's 23), when you can find 18 years players on international level, so she was impressive until some years ago, but now Thomsen is far away better. No doubt. It looks like Durr's level is alway the same, while Thomsen's one is rising up so quickly.

:what: Are you kidding me? Just towards the very end of her career when her bad knee harmed her a lot she was bad, but whenever I get to watch old matches of German NT I realise how good Tzscherlich has really been. She hasn't been one of the spectacular liberos, but an incredibly solid receiver and also defender.

• I think Durr used to be best german libero until 2 years ago. She was better than Tzscherlich, who's to be one of the weakest main libero among all NTs. But when Bujs came to Schwerin she improved so damnly! I remember her match against Villa Cortese, she was a dig machine! She is even so stable receiver. Durr is not that young right now (she's 23), when you can find 18 years players on international level, so she was impressive until some years ago, but now Thomsen is far away better. No doubt. It looks like Durr's level is alway the same, while Thomsen's one is rising up so quickly.

It is easy to look good or improved if you have the kind of players on your side that Lisa had in Schwerin. This is why it looks like Lisa is rising up, when in fact it was her level which was the same. But with good players on her side it doesn´t attract ones attention that it were the other players who make her look good!
    But isn´t it in fact Lenka who has improved by having to play with weaker players? I think so.

Why do you think Dürr is no. 1? Why do you think she and NOT Lisa have to take the responsibility i talked about in my previous post? Sure, Lenka may have looked better two years ago, but back then she didn´t have to take the above mentioned responsibility. Even though it makes her look bad now, it is the next step in her career and also the next step to be able to play on a higher level - be it in her club or NT.

Lisa is 27 years of age. But she never reached the level Lenka has, because Lisa never had to improve herself due to playing with weaker players. On a higher international / NT level, that is. The level she plays on now, she must have reached four or five years ago. She hasn´t! If she´s good, she will be 32 or 33 years old. But then Lisa would have reached a level which is actually expected by liberos the age she is now.

So the question is, will you go with a 27 year old libero who only now at that age reaches a certain level, or do you go with a younger one (and 23 years IS young for a libero) who in fact is already on a very good level and who you can plan with and actually build up for the future?

• Italy will go to the final round with the best players and probably travel from there directly to Zürich. De Gennaro is OK, no serious injury, and maybe Lucia Bosetti can also join the team (I don't understand volleyball.it news about this point well)...

• NEW RANKING POSITION FROM 7-10

07-RUSIA 175 PUNTOS
    08-DOMINICANA 128 PTS
    09-ALEMANIA 126 PTS
    10-TURQUIA 120 PTS

Seriously did you spend that much time to calculate all the points in order to show us how great level DR would increase? Get a life :aww:

• Playing with italy in semifinal and losing 3-1 and then losing against poland 3-0 and being 4th in the europe is not a 'real' success for me.More there were not much competitive teams in europe and germany probably would finish 4th also without guidetti. :roll: The only big success was ECH 2011 and i already said that this was the best german team but thanks to grün not guidetti.Cause we see now what is german level without her when the other players even improved.

I dont say guidetti is a bad coach or something like that but for me guidetti is done for german NT thats all.Hope everything would be good as u expect :)

Aren't you also get bored with writing the same comments again and again? Grün make Germany reach to silver medal or Guidetti is bad coach (Which is not true at all! He is doing a great job by considering what he has as player options) At least you can try to paraphrase your comments sometimes :roll:

• DR really needs to have a more stable starting six.
    The have to decide stable position, because OHs once are on position 4 and then on position 2. MBs once on position 3 and then are on position 2 or 4.
    They should start building a team around their phenomenal players (Castillo and de la Cruz) their best setter (Marte) and their rasing star (Arias).
    A pure opposite is really needed. Nunez or Mambru. One between them.

Agree with you, roster is too unstable for now I prefer roster:
    Marte (S) - De La Cruz (OH) - Arias (MB) - Mambru (OP) - Rivera (OH) - Vargas (MB) - Castillo (L) to them for subs should be added: Echenique (S), Martinez (OP/OH), Peńa (OH), Fersola (MB), Binet (OH/L - defense sub). To 14 we can add Rodriguez (OP/OH) and for further future, when she'll be ready - Eve-Castillo (MB/OH). Kwiek last times resigned from Nuńez, in second and third tournament we saw as OPPs Mambru, Rodriguez and Martinez. I want to see Jeoselina more, but in last games Mambru and Martinez were better OPPs than her, also as OH she isn't so valuable (reception on Yeltsin Cup :lol: ) Perespective players are also Jineiry Martinez (MB) and Winifer Fernandez (L). They should find new good OH or think about improving Martinez and Peńa.

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• I will play always with the best players at the moment. Volleyball is made by moments. Right now Thomsen is better. In future we'll see.

BTW I'm pretty sure Durr will be starter anyway, so we are talking about nothing. :S

• I will play always with the best players at the moment. Volleyball is made by moments. Right now Thomsen is better. In future we'll see.

BTW I'm pretty sure Durr will be starter anyway, so we are talking about nothing. :S

Good arguments, indeed :roll:

• How did everyone do with their pre-tournament Final 6 (excluding Japan)?

I missed with Russia as my pick and Serbia getting in. The others I was right on.

Would you recommend next year that this tournament go to a 4th week of pool play? With 8 teams advancing to the Final Round?

To me I feel like 1 more week would really make it easier to see which were the best teams. And the teams who played a weaker schedule might have a tougher match or two in the last week.
    With 4 teams tied at 19 points, an extra week and a couple of extra slots gives teams a chance at the potential podium.

• For the final round will come back Guiggi, Arrighetti, Signorile and Costagrande...

It's possible, you just have to believe in yourself and really not care what other people say, because I've heard it all.
    If you let someone else dictate what you're going to do in life, then you won't get there.

Non so neanche come onestamente: in due mesi ero di nuovo in campo.

• Aren't you also get bored with writing the same comments again and again? Grün make Germany reach to silver medal or Guidetti is bad coach (Which is not true at all! He is doing a great job by considering what he has as player options) At least you can try to paraphrase your comments sometimes :roll:

I was arguing with matthias and i have never said guidetti is a bad coach ,dont say the things you have in your mind :teach: And an advice do not try to shape someone's comment.If you cant stand to read do not read :roll:

• and maybe Lucia Bosetti can also join the team (I don't understand volleyball.it news about this point well)...

Volleyball.it says that she may join the team in Zurich for ECH :thumbup:

• Totally agree, some teams like Italy or China had easier schedule, others like Poland had the tougher one. With so many teams with the same amount of points they should organise one more weekend, they could do it, because Final Six starts in 9 days.

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• Totally agree, some teams like Italy or China had easier schedule, others like Poland had the tougher one. With so many teams with the same amount of points they should organise one more weekend, they could do it, because Final Six starts in 9 days.

I think 3 weeks enough but 8 teams should go to finals. Placing 8 teams two groups and then semi finals and final. This way every team would play 5 matches too.

• I also think 3 weeks of preliminaries then 8 teams into the Finals (4th week). Final Round with two pools, then Semis and Finals.

But what I would suggest is that there be a day of break before the semis and finals.

In the past Grand Prix Final Rounds, playing 5 matches in a row punishes the players. Everytime I talked to one in the 4th or 5th day, they said the fatigue really builds. I noticed that the quality of the play of teams had the tendency to drop -- disastrous heading into the most critical matches.

This year the extra week off before the Final Round will help address that issue. I prefer Semifinal/Final format because to me that is more exciting. But Round Robin has its merits since you play everyone and every match counts.