Olympic Games - Brazil 2016 (qualification process)

• Handball is infinitely more Euro-centric than volleyball. There are basically two good non-European teams, Brazil and South Korea, and they're both going down recently. It's totally different in volleyball, it's much more spread out globally and thus the qualifying system can't be the same.
    Not to mention, if the handball system was used in volleyball, Poland for example would not even have a chance to qualify for the Olympics.

if handball system is used Poland (men) already qualified as WCh and Poland (women) no qualification to final tournament

Ok but please check other sport - basketball fair qualification system:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…_the_2016_Summer_Olympics
    WCh, Continental Champions and tournament(s) where best not qualified teams from each federations fight for last spots

I still feel present qualification volleyball system for 2016 is the worst one in history.

• gee, compadre, are you defensive or what? i didn't say ARG doesn't deserve to be in rio. i just said i'm not happy they are there, because they'd easily lose to TUR, BEL, PUR, BULG, and probably AZE, KAZ and KEN too. you know beating PER doesn't really make you hot shit.

Lose to Kenya, Kazakhstan? ?( I don't think we have lost to them ever.

• Lose to Kenya, Kazakhstan? ?( I don't think we have lost to them ever.

Yeah I also agree.. That's an overstatement.. Argentina is not that bad.. not world class of course but way better than Algeria, Kenya and etc. I don't see the problem with Argentina in the Olympics... yes they'll probably lose their matches and games against them won't be fun to watch but what should be done? Brazil is qualified, someone has to qualify instead of them... Look at it this way - if for example Serbia and Russia (which are currently the best European teams) qualified in the WC, them Netherlands won the EQT.. do you think that Netherlands can play head to head with China, Brazil, USA? I am not trying to say that Argentina are as good as Netherlands, just saying that someone from South America has to Qualify instead of Brazil. They only unfair thing to me is Asian teams have better chances to qualify, as well as the Dominican R. for example

• I guess it is an advantage Argentina is taking since Brazil is the host country. The same happened when Brazil classified directly from the World Cup for the 2008 OG. It was Venezuela who took advantage and qualified to 2008 OG.

I can understand that some people are upset that some few very good teams in Europe like Germany, Turkey or Belgium are outside and others like Argentina or any African team will be competing in Rio, but again, this is only fair. The idea of expanding from 8 teams to 12 teams in the OG (this transition occurred in 1996 if I'm not mistaken) was to give opportunities to all the confederations to have at least one team representing them in the OG.

• Lose to Kenya, Kazakhstan? ?( I don't think we have lost to them ever.

maybe but i wouldn't be surprised if they did. KEN is improving a lot, they beat PER at last WC, which is what ARG just did. KAZ kept KOR out of the WCh in 2014, i doubt ARG could beat KOR. so in a good day, i wouldn't be surprised if ARG lost to both teams.

anyway, nobody said ARG didn't get its ticket to rio fair and square, i was just saying, i'd rather see TUR there, i said i was sad some of my favorite girls won't be in rio. :(

• very late but i finally watched the final match in the NORCECA qual. very puzzling what DOM and kwiek are doing, they have definitely gotten worse since their historic finish at the WCh 2014, judging from their perf. at the WCup and now this tournament. obviously they were not going to purposedly lose to PUR just to go to the easier tournament, but they played really badly against US in the final.

first off, too many serving errors. i mean, how many times can you throw the ball away? i didn't check the stats but they probably finished with 15 service errors (in 3 sets).

also, too many hitting errors. and more puzzlingly, too many services to the US libero. even when megan easy was on, they didn't target her with serves.

tori dixon played well, so i'm surprised to hear she's now injured?

the good news for DOM is how brayelin martinez has evolved. kwiek has been using her as a passing OH and in spite of her size, she's actually getting better at it. definitely better than easy or diouf or any of the big girls. she can even dig some balls in the back court and chase them down. she was DOM best attacker.

puzzling also why kwiek likes lisvel eve as OPP. she struggled to kill the ball as mambru's sub. he could have used pena as OPP, who's a much better spiker. even moreno would be better than eve.

martinez and her sister jineiry are the bright spots for DOM's future.

• Because they want more competions in volleyball because of popularity for NT.

• Day 1
    Egypt bt Uganda 3-0 (25-12, 25-18, 25-19) - Pool B
    Egypt upset resurgent Uganda 3-0 (25-12, 25-18, 25-19) in Pool B match lasting 61 minutes. After Egypt started aggressively in the first and second sets, Uganda emerged in the third set where they led several times before Egypt returned back to their rhythm at the end of the set to win in straight.

Opposite Aya El Shami led the Egyptian scorers with 12 points followed by outside hitter Nahla Abdelfattah 10. Uganda's Peace Busingye led her team with 6 points. Egypt overhhelmed the net with 9/4 advantage in blocking and 39/13 in spiking beside leading in serving 3/1.

Algeria bt Botswana 3-0 (25-22, 25-22, 25-10) - Pool B
    Algeria overcame Botswana 3-0 (25-22, 25-22, 25-10) in the second match of Pool B lasting 72 minutes. The Botswana team was very competitive in the first and second set and frequently led in the 2nd set before the Algerian team used their experience to win the crucial points and lead in both sets. The third set showed complete dominance for the Algerian team to finish the match in straight sets.

The Algerian outside hitter Safia Boukhima led her team scorers with 18 points and played a great role in her team's victory followed be her teammate Yasmine Abdelrahim 11 points. Botswana's big gum Gasekonwe Gaoleseleise contributed 8 points in her team loss

Cameroon bt Tunisia 3-2 (25-20, 25-20, 29-31, 21-25, 15-6) - Pool A
    Cameroon struggled for 128 minutes to overwhelm Tunisia 3-2 (25-20, 25-20, 29-31, 21-25, 15-6) in Pool A. After Cameroon went easily to 2-0 with a group of successful attacks and combinations, Tunisia came back aggressively after the coach replaced the main setter Maroua Boughanmi by the substitute Nihel Kebaier who led her team to come back to 2-2 after great struggle in the third set which was the longest in the competition so far. The Tunisian performance decreased, while Cameroon regained their solid blockers to win the tiebreak widely 15-6.

Cameroon highly dominated the net in blocking making the competition team best blocking perormance scoring 19 points from stuff blocks against 6 for Tunisia. Moma Laetitia led the winner's scorers with 20 points, while Rahma Agrebi led the losers with 11.

• Day 2
    Algeria bt Uganda 3-0 (25-22, 25-14, 25-12) - Pool B
    Algeria become the first team to book semifinal ticket at the Women's African Olympic Qualifier after they took over Uganda 3-0 (25-22, 25-14, 25-12) in Pool B match lasting 67 minutes.

Algeria improved their win- loss ratio to 2-0, while Uganda dropped to 0-2. Algeria still had 1 match in the preliminary round against Egypt to determine the pool leaders.

The Algerian coach played with most of his line up and started with the substitutes until he finished the match with the standing line up. Uganda started the match very competitive in the first set until they draw 22-22 and won the set hardly 25-22. The second and third sets showed complete Algerian dominance with the main players doing the role.

Outside hitter Kahina Arbouche led the match scorers with 13 points followed by Safia Boukhima 10. Saidat Nnungi led the Ugandans with 9 points.

Egypt bt Botswana 3-0 (25-21, 25-13, 25-17) - Pool B
    Egypt set second win against Botswana 3-0 (25-21, 25-13, 25-17) to clinch the second ticket of Pool B to the semifinal of Olympic qualifier. Egypt improved their record to 2-0, while Botswana dropped to 0-2.

Botswana started the match in their best form and succeeded to lead several time until Egyptian coach changed some players to regain the rhythm and win the set narrowly 25-21 before Egypt controlled the match with their better defense and win the second and third sets.

Mariam Metwally led Egyptian scorers with 12 points, while Gasekgnwe led the losers with 7 points. The Egyptian team had advantage in blocking 11/1 and in serving 6/1 to control the victory.

Kenya bt Tunisia 3-0 (25-20, 25-17, 25-23) - Pool A
    Kenya led Pool A with 3-0 victory (25-20, 25-17, 25-23) against Tunisia in the match of the day. Kenya started their campaign with 1-0, while Tunisia dropped to 0-2.

Kenya led pool A with 3 points followed by Cameroon who were in rest day (2 points from 1-0) and Tunisia 3rd with 1 point from 0-2.

Suzuki Moim led the Kenyan scorers with 9 points, while Kaothar Gemail led the losers with 7 points.

Kenya dominated the first and second sets to win widely before Tunisia came back in the third set to overcome 10 point deficit and draw 22-22, but again Kenya used their experience to win the tough set 25-23.

• Pool A
    1. Kenya 1 3
    2. Cameroon 1 2
    3. Tunisia 2 1

Pool B
    1. Egypt 2 6
    2. Algeria 2 6
    3. Botswana 2 0
    4. Uganda 2 0

After 2nd day of African Women's Olympic qualifying action in Yaoundé, the semi-final picture is now clear. In Pool B, Algeria and Egpyt are through to the final four, while in Pool A, hosts Cameroon and Kenya moved through.

Final Pool positions will be decided on day three. In Pool B it's winner-takes-all between Algeria and Egypt, and in Pool A, Kenya just need two sets against Cameroon after their straight-sets win over Tunisia on Saturday.

• Day 3
    Botswana bt Uganda 3-2 (22-25, 25-21, 25-19, 10-25, 15-11) - Pool B
    ganda started in high performance to win the first set, but Botswana rebounded quickly to 2 successive sets and lead 2-1 after they controlled the match. Uganda surprisingly came to the game in the fourth set to extend the match to tiebreaker. Uganda early led 6-1 in tiebreak before Botswana bravely fought to win 15-11. Gasekgonwe led Botswana scorers with 17 points , while Peace Busingye led Uganda with 8 points.

Algeria bt Egypt 3-1 (18-25, 25-19, 25-20, 25-23) - Pool B
    Egypt led comfortably in the first set before Algeria came back aggressively to win 3 successive set with their tight block and successful attacks specially through the outside hitter Yasmine Abdelrrahim. Lydia Oulmou led Algerian scorers with 10 points, while Aya El Shami led the losers with 11 points.

Kenya bt Cameroon 3-1 (25-22, 25-23, 20-25, 25-9) - Pool A
    Kenya controlled the match through their dominance in attacks specially through the opposite attacker Lydia Maiyo who led the match scorers with 20 points aided by Lusenaka who scored impressive 15 points. Stephanie Fotoso led the losers as she contributed 12 points for her side.

Semifinals
    Kenya v Egypt
    Algeria v Cameroon

• Semifinals
    Egypt v Kenya 3-2 (25-22, 24-26, 16-15, 25-20, 19-17)
    The match lasting 127 minutes showed extra ordinary performance from the winners but the middle blocker Mariam Metwally and opposite spiker Aya El Shami played the greatest role in the victory.
    El Shami scored impressive 34 points making the competition best scoring performance so far, while Metwally closed the ways of the Kenyan attacks with her stuff blocks scoring 10 points. Among other scorers for the winners, Nada meawad contributed also crucial 14 points.
    Mercy Moim led the Kenyan scorers with 19 points followed by Lydia Maiyo and Kibor Chelgat 16 points each.

Cameroon - Algeria 3-0 (25-20, 25-17, 25-17)
    Cameroon completely dominated the match having a great advantage in blocking (7/1) and serving (4/1 aces). Opposite Nana Tchoudjang as usual played a crucial role in the victory with her unstoppable hits from position 2. She led her team scorers with 12 points followed by Moma Bassoko 8. Yasmine Abdelrrahim led the losers with 6 points.

Final
    Egypt - Cameroon
    3rd place
    Kenya - Algeria

• If anyone's interested here's the strem for the final game Egypt - Cameroon http://www.afrotele.net/afrotv/watch/H It's 1:1 (14:25, 27:25) after the first two sets. Currently Egypt leads 12:7 in the third.

• CAMEROON qualifies for Rio 2016. Egypt and Kenya qualifies for World Olympic Qualification Tournament.

Final
    Cameroon claimed the African Olympic ticket after they beat Egypt 3-2 (25-14, 25-27, 21-25, 25-23, 15-7) in the final of the qualification tournament. Cameroon led comfortably in the first set before Egypt rebounded aggressively using their tight block to come back and win 2 successive set leading 2-1. Cameroon rebounded back to win the fourth set extending the match to tiebreak where they used the spirit of their supporters to win it widely 15-7. The powerful opposite spiker Nana Tchoudjang led Cameroon's spikers with 21 points followed by middle blocker Stephanie Fotoso 19 points. Aya El Shami led the losers and the match with 22 points followed by Nada Meawad 15.

3rd place match
    Kenya claimed the bronze medal of the qualifier after they flew past Algeria 3-0 (25-19, 25-21, 26-24) in the third place match. Both team played a depressive game after they missed the chance to qualify to the final, but the Kenyans were more insisted to win.
    Mercy Moim led the Kenyan scorers with 7 points followed by Kibor Chelagat who contributed 6 points. Promising right attacker Yasmine Abdelrrahim led the losers with 11 points followed by captain Safia Boukhima 8. Kenya dominated the net action through their better blocking beside using the spike service to disturb the Algerians.
    Kenya qualified to play at the World Olympic Qualifier with the second of African qualification tournament and the third of South America (Colombia) and the third of NORCECA (Puerto Rico).