2018 FIVB World Championship - Japan

• Schedule for second round (all local Tokyo time, in Nagoya and Osaka respectively):

7 Oct
    10:40 13:25 16:10 19:20
    Mexico v. Serbia Germany v. Brazil Italy v. Azerbaijan Japan v. Dominican Republic
    Turkey v. Russia Bulgaria v. USA Netherlands v. Puerto Rico China v. Thailand
    8 Oct
    Germany v. Serbia Mexico v. Brazil Netherlands v. Dominican Republic Japan v. Puerto Rico
    Bulgaria v. Russia Turkey v. USA China v. Azerbaijan Thailand v. Italy
    10 Oct
    Mexico v. Dominican Republic Netherlands v. Brazil Germany v. Puerto Rico Japan v. Serbia
    Turkey v. Azerbaijan Bulgaria v. Thailand Italy v. Russia China v. USA
    11 Oct
    Mexico v. Puerto Rico Germany v. Dominican Republic Netherlands v. Serbia Japan v. Brazil
    Bulgaria v. Azerbaijan Turkey v. Thailand Italy v. USA China v. Russia
  • Russia is better off without Kosheleva, I hope she doesn't come back to NT anymore.

Like I said yesterday, I see Italy as the favorite, they are just better in pretty much every department.

Italy's reception is way better than China's, which makes it easier to block, China's been struggling with the reception since the second set.

Italy is almost guaranteed in the third round, and if they should secure the spot after the match with Russia, they would probably play their back up players against USA, which would be good news to USA.

• It's really hard to predict the outcome of POOL F, Turkey still has chance to qualify, they're definitely not afraid USA and Russia, they have played each other many times throughout the summer, if they can beat one of these teams, it's actually good for China and Italy, especially China. :/

• Oh no, Italy always plays the first match :(

That's cruel... (for the Italian fans, I mean, not for the team: even if morning matches aren't our usual cup of tea, at least we always play at the same time and we have time to rest properly between the matches).

Sorry, just updated the timetable based on the adjusted schedule.

• Thanks to Japan's special treatment, China is once again getting almost all of the prime time:lol:

Almost? All ( oh sry except one match)! Really unfair and I don‘t care about prime time due to time difference a 12:20 CET match may also be a prime time for European teams instead of 3:40 CET.

A 10 o clock or 13 o clock match (local time Japan) is not that bad for China or Asian teams. It is a world championship and you want to get as much viewer as possible so put some European teams in the last spots so european habits could watch the games, too. Same of course the other way around if such a tournement is in Europe or America.

• Yeah, I noticed that and canceled my post, but you were to fast quoting it :P

Very good first match (and draw) for Italy. Good start also for Russia, Serbia and Brazil while a VERY tricky one for China and USA.

Why do you think it's a tricky start for USA? Bulgaria should be the easiest... Plus, as other pointed out, Italy may happen to be already qualified before the last match (obviously I'm crossing my fingers, but who knows)

• Looking at FIVB site it looks like this year ALL results from 1st round are taken to 2nd round. Last time those against the teams that were eliminated after preliminary got taken out of the ranking too. Not that it changes much, just noticed it...

Too bad Germany couldn't take a set from Japan despite being so close and apparently playing rather well. I don't understand why Stigrot didn't get to play at all, she could have added some firepower at the net at times...

• Yeah, I noticed that and canceled my post, but you were to fast quoting it :P

Why do you think it's a tricky start for USA? Bulgaria should be the easiest... Plus, as other pointed out, Italy may happen to be already qualified before the last match (obviously I'm crossing my fingers, but who knows)

Looking at the calendar: Bulgaria, Turkey, China and Italy. Very strong teams overall.

Bulgaria is an excellent team, technically and athletically flawless that could bother a lot the Americans, who looked a bit shaky. Of course it could end 3-0 USA but I think they could drag the match to a 5th. Turkey comes right after, and I refuse to believe Guidetti will go out without a bang. China and Italy might have the chance to kick them out of the tournament. IMHO they need to improve their level dramatically to go to the final six, and you know what I think of breathing and cheerleading trainer Karch.

• I'm so sorry for team as Bulgaria. They have HUGE talents but they just can't get it. I mean their players plays in very good clubs but something is missing, maybe coach ? They are like Croatia 2011-2014, very good names but as team nothing special.

• For me Italy has good schedule :/ they can rest some players if things are going in right way in last match. Even against Thai and Aze they can give some rest to few players...

• Looking at FIVB site it looks like this year ALL results from 1st round are taken to 2nd round. Last time those against the teams that were eliminated after preliminary got taken out of the ranking too. Not that it changes much, just noticed it...

True, I'll keep an eye on that.

And when Vabo said the third of the pool needed 13 points in the last edictions, I had't realized that meant 13 points not counting the points made vs the two eliminated teams of the first phase.

vabo

I still don't really get it: I agree with you about Bulgaria and especially Turkey not being easy match for USA (I mean, USA needs to play good to win), but I still think that a schedule that goes from the (on paper) easiest team to the (two) strongest is a good schedule, in fact I thought it worked well for Italy.

How could be that Italian schedule is good and USA is not? I mean, of course we'll play differet teams, but the 'graduality' is the same, and I guess it's like that because we were both first of our own pool.

• Jesus Christ, torn ACL for Milenković :wall::wall::wall::(

Not only is the tournament over for her, the 18/19 club season almost certainly is too.

And she was playing so well...

I'm still can't believe this happened.

I hate to say this and of course I'm not blaming her... But that set Zivkovic gave her was not good... I wish Bojana had just tiped it over. During VNL I was so worried that Boskovic would get hurt trying to reach for those terrible sets....and tonight she gave Bjelica some terrible sets, after Bojana went down I noticed that Bjelica started to simply pass over a free ball instead of trying to reach for those off sets.

Again I'm not blaming Zivkovic ..injuries are part of the sport and there's nothing to stop. Is just a fatality.

But I'm not only saying this now.. U guys can look up my past posts and see that I mentioned before about someone getting hurt with Zivkvoic's bad sets

• Oh come on, don't do this. This had nothing to do with Zivkovic or bad sets. ACL injuries simply happen and there are tons of intrinsic factors involved. You can only prevent them from happening to a certain extent.