Serbian NT 2018

• Actually I have a Croatian friend and she says she also understands basically nothing about the BiH situation, or anything really from ex-Yugo and she IS from ex-Yugo so there you have that :lol:

• Actually, come to think about it, this may well cause even more confusion, but at least I tried. :lol:

It is complex, but knowing that is illuminating. Thanks

• Well done, Joana.:drink:

And to put it as simply as possible to pope's original question (because pope has a habit of asking same questions multiply times:lol:), Brankica and Tijana have no more difficulty to be understood (and to understand, in turn) people from Serbia than a midwesterner would have trouble to be understood by a New Yorker.

• You're welcome, everyone :flower:
    And that was all without going into the issue of Kosovo, the historical reasons why Bosnia and Herzegovina in its current borders is a separate country, the identity politics in Montenegro and so on and so on. :rolll:

There's just one important thing that should be said: the main thing that separates Serbs, Croats and Bosniaks from each other (and in turn unites them as individual groups) is NOT the language, but their religion. Bosniaks are Muslims, while Serbs and Croats are Christians, except that Serbs are overwhelmingly Eastern Orthodox, while Croats are almost exclusively Roman Catholic.

• You're welcome, everyone :flower:
    And that was all without going into the issue of Kosovo, the historical reasons why Bosnia and Herzegovina in its current borders is a separate country, the identity politics in Montenegro and so on and so on. :rolll:

There's just one important thing that should be said: the main thing that separates Serbs, Croats and Bosniaks from each other (and in turn unites them as individual groups) is NOT the language, but their religion. Bosniaks are Muslims, while Serbs and Croats are Christians, except that Serbs are overwhelmingly Eastern Orthodox, while Croats are almost exclusively Roman Catholic.

Yeah, I did a university course on the recent history of Eastern Europe (last 100 years or so) but we barely even mentioned the countries of the former Yugoslavia. When I asked the teacher why we weren't talking about that he said that if we focused on that then there wouldn't be any time to study anywhere else and now I can see that's probably true :rolll:.

Still, a very interesting off-topic to read about. :win:.

• Guys I have a question also.

Serbia-Montenegro got 3rd place at WCH, 2006. But after seperation which was happened on June, 2006, why do all players countinue to play for Serbia? Are they all from Serbia and none from Montenegro?

• Yes, they were all from Serbia.

A funny fact: by the time WCh '06 took place, Serbia and Montenegro had already split up. However, as the team started the qualifying cycle while the country was still united (also with players from Serbia only), they had to appear at the WCh under the name of Serbia and Montenegro. But it was in name only, and I remember Terzić being very annoyed with unacquainted foreign journalists desperately wanting to play up the "team that's together for one last time" angle and asking him about the future of NT over and over again.

• Fun additional fact: Ana Bjelica is a Montenegrin Serbian (meaning people who self-identify as Serbs, but live in Montenegro), and her two elder siblings Milko and Milka are/were (Milka is retired) basketball players who play for Montenegro. Ana is probably the most distinguished of them all (if for no other reason, than due to the successes with Serbian NT).

• oh okkk.... Well I don` know but I think at least Boskovic was born and raised in Bosnia? I say that because her sister plays for Bosnia.

She (Dajana Boskovic) was actually taken into custody in the US (while being there in order to play in the NCAA) by the police for theft some years ago! Reportedly she stole material for a value of between 100-750 dollar and faced a charge for class B misdemeanor. However, she went out of jail quickly. Not sure whether this is actually relevant to share but now I did it anyway.

• She (Dajana Boskovic) was actually taken into custody in the US (while being there in order to play in the NCAA) by the police for theft some years ago! Reportedly she stole material for a value of between 100-750 dollar and faced a charge for class B misdemeanor. However, she went out of jail quickly. Not sure whether this is actually relevant to share but now I did it anyway.

Yeah, this has been posted here when it happened.... and I think she got banned and was not able to continue with her studies and could not play anymore, so she went back home and took 1 or 2 years off.

• Guys, What happened to Sanja Hanusic? Is she still playing? I remember when she played for Serbian Youth NT in WCH 2005. She was amazing but at top level, she disappered.

• She's not, I think she retired years ago, probably soon after she maried Filip Filipović, the captain of Serbian water polo NT.

Another one on the long list of Serbian prospects whose carriers didn't really go anywhere. The one that bugs me the most (aside from Malagurski, which is a well known story) is Ivana Nešović, who seemed destined to become a world class player but never developed anywhere close to that level.

• Another one on the long list of Serbian prospects whose carriers didn't really go anywhere. The one that bugs me the most (aside from Malagurski, which is a well known story) is Ivana Nešović, who seemed destined to become a world class player but never developed anywhere close to that level.

I still remember watching Nesovic live in Junior ECH 2006 (together with Zivkovic, Drpa, Sevarika and I think Veljkovic was playing too even though she was from the younger generation) and she was the second most impressive player I watched that day; Kosheleva being number one. And other players I watched that day were Grothues, Schoot, Pietersen, Tomsia, Neriman etc, all of whom made a bigger career than Nesovic, though not necessarily comparable. I think Nesovic's mistake (though maybe not exactly "hers") was playing as OPP instead of continueing as OH, she might not have been a great receiver but IMO she could easily have been a Mihajlovic type of player as OH.

• The one that bugs me the most [...] is Ivana Nešović, who seemed destined to become a world class player but never developed anywhere close to that level.

I know that name. A stunningly beautiful woman with hopeful melancholy in her eyes. I just watched her sort of drift away and finally get booted from a Korean Club team. I was immediately drawn to her in a sea of sadness :( Now I will miss her.

• I know that name. A stunningly beautiful woman with hopeful melancholy in her eyes. I just watched her sort of drift away and finally get booted from a Korean Club team. I was immediately drawn to her in a sea of sadness :( Now I will miss her.

She was MVP ( I think) last year in Korea as they won the Championship. But this season she was not able to perform.

• She was MVP ( I think) last year in Korea as they won the Championship. But this season she was not able to perform.

That's what I heard. Surprising. She had a bitchin' serve but overall looked The Tin Man in need of oil. I didn't know what was going to happen (I didn't even know people could be cut from a team, lol) but looking back on it now I admire her so much for the smile she wore all the way through it. Makes it more sad, too

• An extremely mangled Google translation seemed to mention something about an injury. If it's true, a serious injury at this point of her career would probably mean retirement.

Matthias is right that she was a victim of the prevalent trend in Serbian volleyball back in the day of converting every single strong hitter into an OPP. She also head some health issues when she was young that stalled her career too. Also, Terzić didn't seem to like her for some reason and she never got a real chance on NT.

I think in general she lacked the ambition to take her game to the next level. She really loved living in Asia and I think that was enough for her.

• Serbia was dark horse at U18 WCH in 2005 and played against Brazil (line up: Fe Garay, Regiane, Thaisa, Adenizia, Suelle Olivera, Ana Tiemi and Suelen Pinto) in final. But the star or Serbia, Sanja Hanusic didn't play at final and lost 3-1. I still remember as today, comentator was saying if Hanusic would play, the resut could be totally different.