2022 FIVB World Championship - POL/SLO

• I was going to ask about him. Is he injured or something? I think he performed poorly in the friendlies too.

No injuries . He is just playing bad. Looks like his dream days are over. I would give a chance to Kazemi

• There are rumors (which I would normally ignore, but they come from a trusted user that is WITH the Cuban NT rn) on one of the volleyball discords I follow that Volleyball World demanded that the Cubans lose this game or they will not be allowed to participate in the VNL2023...

• Japan is almost certainly qualified after winning the first set. Mexico/Bulgaria cannot surpass them anymore and I doubt Tunisia will win two sets vs Serbia.

And even if the second condition is not fulfilled with Tunisia they can still hope for one of Germany, Canada or Turkey to lose their last game 3-0.

• Volleyball Japan:thumbup:

• Updated after 2 Tuesday matches

Clinched Round of 16 Spots

Poland

USA

France

Brazil

Netherlands

Serbia

Iran

Italy

Japan

Cuba

Cuba is in due to the loser of Canada-Turkey even if it goes five will have a worse sets ratio record (.857 (6-7) to .833 (5-6)), goes to Cuba. Also winner of Bulgaria-Mexico cannot match on points, 4-3. Making two 3rd place teams (with matches finished) below them before Argentina even plays, let also Canada-Turkey playing.

Slovenia is kind of in the same boat, but the points ratio could be a question if they lose to Germany

Clinching Scenarios for Round of 16 on Tuesday

Winner of SLO-GER

Clinching Scenarios for Round of 16 on Wednesday (as of now)

Winner of CAN-TUR

Ukraine WIN over PUR

Argentina WIN AND CAN-TUR not going 5 sets, CAN-TUR loser only reaches 1 win, 3 points, Argentina would be at 1 win, 4 points.

• Even with loss USA will finish ahead of Japan on sets ratio

USA win over Poland would put them in a good position to be 3rd in seeding, but the points ratio, let alone if it goes 5, may be leapfrogged by Italy and Serbia, playing weaker competition.

• Slovenia needs two set wins to basically clinch their spot in the Round of 16. Right now Turkey has a better points ratio, and if tied on 4 points and sets at 5-6, Turkey may advance due to points ratio.

• Bulgaria-Mexico winner basically needs a 20+ point sweep to even have a chance of making round of 16.

Let alone 10+ point 3-0 sweep by teams in 2nd place right now if they are playing 3rd place teams.

• Even with loss USA will finish ahead of Japan on sets ratio

USA win over Poland would put them in a good position to be 3rd in seeding, but the points ratio, let alone if it goes 5, may be leapfrogged by Italy and Serbia, playing weaker competition.

USA is 1.291 in points ratio, Italy is 1.281, so basically USA would need to defeat Poland with at least the same point/set score than Italy against China, and that's unlikely.

But there's a question mark if Italy will play seriously against China, I've taken different scenarios under considerations (every score in Poland-USA game with the most probable results in the other games), and in most scenarios Italy gets very difficult draw (Poland as well). If they finish with #3 seed, there's a big chance that they'll play against Cuba (unless Argentina doesn't defeat Egypt 3-0/3-1 and Germany defeats Slovenia) in 1/8 and Brazil or France in 1/4.

Bulgaria-Mexico winner basically needs a 20+ point sweep to even have a chance of making round of 16.

Bułgaria is -32, Tunisia is -1, Germany is +12, Canada is -13, so the chances for Bulgaria is to win 3-0 and wish that Tunisia and Canada will lose 0-3, then +15 today (25-20, 25-20, 25-20) could be enough, but it's difficult, since Cuba and Argentina will be ahead, and Germany with non-blowout 0-3 will be higher as well.

• If they finish with #3 seed, there's a big chance that they'll play against Cuba (unless Argentina doesn't defeat Egypt 3-0/3-1 and Germany defeats Slovenia) in 1/8 and Brazil or France in 1/4.

Btw. what would happen if Slovenia finishes as a 3rd team in a group? They'll be regardless seeded as the highest-seeded 3rd team (#2), so the 13th team would be the lowest-classified 2nd team, 14th would be the highest-ranked 3rd team besides Slovenia, and #15-16 would go to the 3rd/4th-highest ranked third team, right?

• Btw. what would happen if Slovenia finishes as a 3rd team in a group? They'll be regardless seeded as the highest-seeded 3rd team (#2), so the 13th team would be the lowest-classified 2nd team, 14th would be the highest-ranked 3rd team besides Slovenia, and #15-16 would go to the 3rd/4th-highest ranked third team, right?

If Slovenia ranks 3rd in its pool, then we has to see if it qualifies as the best top 4 3rd ranked teams or not. If so, Slovenis will be classified as host#2 which will be placed at 2rd place in round of 16.