2019 FIVB Women's U20 World Championship in Mexico

• Turkey lost both Italy and Japan at tiebreak with 18-16😭 and 16-14 against Russia. They really missed Ebrar at clutch points but I think playing semis is already over-achiement in the absence of Ebrar Karakurt and Elif Şahin.

• Morello uses the middles a lot....Hopefully she gets some playing next season, she would do great with Veljkovic and Cristina.

Lubian and Kone were great tonight.

I like Cebecioglu, she has a lot of potential....but knowing how Tugba ended it up...I`m afraid same thing will happen with her.

• I like Cebecioglu, she has a lot of potential....but knowing how Tugba ended it up...I`m afraid same thing will happen with her.

Yeah, she's got potential, and I like her but she's riding the edge for me, yellow card and all. You probably won't be surprised that Italy turned out a little too rough boy for my taste, but give them credit. Good win. I hope Japan crushes them tomorrow :box: :rolll: :super:

I don't know Tugba -- do I? -- and what happened to her?

btw - what happened to the lovely dancing giraffe tonight #16 for Turkey. Did I miss something?

• Yeah, she's got potential, and I like her but she's riding the edge for me, yellow card and all. You probably won't be surprised that Italy turned out a little too rough boy for my taste, but give them credit. Good win. I hope Japan crushes them tomorrow :box: :rolll: :super:

I don't know Tugba -- do I? -- and what happened to her?

btw - what happened to the lovely dancing giraffe tonight #16 for Turkey. Did I miss something?

Tugba Senoglu

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu%C4%9Fba_%C5%9Eeno%C4%9Flu

She made the dream team last edition and people were saying she was gonna be the next big thing for Turkey. But like every Turkish Player with Potential, she signed with Vakifbank just to be on the bench all season long..... she has not improved or done anything ever since.

I read something about this giraffe thing......lol (but I did not pay attention)...so I don`t know what u guys were joking about, I guess she just did not play tonight?

I`m all for Japan tomorrow.

• I read something about this giraffe thing......lol

Yaren Işik has a unique approach to serve. Since it is now the stuff of legend, I refer to it affectionately as the dancing giraffe

• Definitely agree, polish defense was crazy at the match against turkey, and biggest reason was Monika. Poland always managed to raise good liberos. Seems like the tradition will last in next couple years

The funniest fuct is that she was hated by many people for this game :)

• Congrats Italy! I think they deserved to win the match, especially Populini had the courage to hit the ball with best she can when they were 14-12 behind in tie-break, while Turkish opposite and middle were just tipping the ball, that's not how you win a match unfortunately.

This match showed that only player worth watching in the future for Turkey is Derya Cebecioglu. I was hopeful of Yaprak and Merve Atlier. Yaprak played really shaky and if you can't play these kind of matches, I guess you will never find a spot in a big team. Merve spent a whole year with Eczacibasi A team and still looking amateur. Her attacking approach is extremely slow, she gotta speed up those feet if she wants to hit the ball harder.

The Turkish setter was simply horrible, she did not give a clean set to position 4 the entire match and she looked very shaky. I wonder why she didnt get benched at all :S

• i can’t believe people can make such decisive pronouncements on young players’ futures based on one tournament.

i can’t believe i stayed up so late watching that match. it’s been so hot this weekend i can’t sleep and i’m so tired.

i can’t believe ruth terry didn’t kill that ball at match point and instead hit it into the net. she was not good yesterday.

it’s been a fun tournament to watch.so many promising young players from BRA, CHN, ITA, RUS etc. i am surprised US didn’t have a better team.

• Merve 7/13 plus 4 blocks and 1 ace. She played really well, mostly important she acted like a leader on the floor

U just said the sets were horrible. That explains why she could not kill more balls.

And if performing well in the u20 was a do or die, certainly there would not be many players left playing.

Terry did not play well... Will this game define her future?. Of course not.

• I agree with Ossubtus and Pope on this.

Sadly I haven't been able to watch almost any matches due to work/timing of the matches being at midnight-7 in the morning for me. And I can't find many links for the matches, its sad because I was hyped for this tourney.

I believe our girls can already be proud :drink:I never expected them to almost beat Italy with this team. They have been so unlucky so far in this tournament tbh with those 18-16 18-16 16-14 tiebreaks. I hope they get the bronze!

Merve has enough time to improve imo, she is more a blocking MB, like Jessica Jones, Babat etc. I like her a lot! Her approach can definitely improve too.

• I remember that Merve Atlier was like this also at Eczacibasi, she attacks with her feet too close at the net and can't hit properly. She needs to work on her offense.

Derya Cebecioglu has a very good potential and I won't be surprised if Guidetti calls her for the European Championship.

• Turkey had a good campaign. Being in the SFs is already an overachievement for a team who lacks its two best players, more if one of them is a star in the making. And I also shall highlight the fact Turkey has one of the worst setters of the top8 teams.

Of course it is bitter how they lost 3 important matches in the overtime, even when they had match points. In these clutch moments, Ebrar would be the factor for sealing those matches. But it is better like this. Like some users have already stated, the main purpose of these U20 or U18 competitions is to discover and develop players for the senior NT. This team has Derya Cebecioglu and Ebrar, we could count Elif Sahin too. So, this is better than a medal. (Of course, if you got both, you wouldnt complain).

• Poland takes 5th place after exhaustive match against Brazil :cheesy:

I really like Górecka, Jagła, Damaske, Laskowska and Centka in this tournament, I hope they will join senior NT soon :flower:

• I actually like the way this dude commentator captures the rhythm and the beat of the point, but after that, let us breathe for a moment

• Lol, i was not saying these players wont become anything. I was trying to show what their weaknesses are. If you watched the matches, you could see how Merve moves in attacking.

• i can’t comment on the host organization since i’m not a player that’s over there, but the audiences have been amazing, the halls are often full, matches seem very well-attended, there’s a great atmosphere, sometimes low-key, like a small town, a real friendly vibe (it looks like there’s almost no security, because it’s not needed). it’s been really great to see. congrats to the mexican public.

• lol . that set, by #3 on a free ball, to the MB was laughable :box:

j/k

• Any Spanish speakers here watching the matches who can attest to whether or not the non-stop commentary has any merit? It's remarkable.

The sport commentator and narrator give every single detail: full names of the player, how they are serving, what kind of expression they had after an attack, block, ace, defense, how is the face of the trainer after a long rally, how is behaving the audience (even more when the match is tight), info about the trainers, etc, etc, etc. Just too speficic. It seems like if they were "narrating" for a radio audience, not tv or streaming. That is why they are non-stopping :lol:

Sometimes less is more.

• seems like if they were "narrating" for a radio audience

I figured that was likely it. I can understand them sometimes reciting the number of the player who receives, then passes, then hits, then ....

thanks for the info.