Korean NT 2020

• It's big relief that Korea wins the match without kim yeonkoung.

I don't know the result of her examination, I guess she will play in tomorrow's matches.

Btw, I was really heart-shaken in the 1st set. Taipei digged every ball, have solid receptions, and make so many touch-outs.

It makes me remind of the last Ach's semifinal which everyone said Korea would easily beat japan u-23.

However, Korea overcame the crisis without kyk and made it!

Praying for good match tomorrow!

• I'm really worried about the final outcome. Some people are still not giving Thailand enough credit.

In the last four years Thailand won arguably every significant game against Korea. In 2017 - semifinal at Asian Championship. In 2018 - semifinal at prestigious Asian Games and shortly after another game in World Championship. I've recently looked at some of these games and was reminded how difficult Thailand serve is to Koreans. In general, it is the host team who has an edge on serve and tomorrow it might be a crucial factor.

Additionally Thailand thoroughly prepared for this one game since August. On Korean side jet lagged Lavarini reunited with his players on December 28th and had only one week to make things work. These injury reports are worrisome. I don't think they can win this game without Kim Young-koung. She'll probably play anyway, but in this condition she needs her teammates help more than ever.

Despite all this, I think Korean team is constantly growing under Lavarini's command. Lee Da-yeong is a fine example, she improved a lot during last year. Also Lavarini is a clever coach, I'm pretty sure tactically Korean's will be well prepared for this game. Besides, Thais also must deal with enormous pressure, match against Korea will be their first game against top team since August. This is a long time, meanwhile Koreans competed in World Cup and in Kovo League.

I would like to see both teams in Tokyo Olympics, It saddens me that it's not possible at this point.

• I totally understand what you're saying. That was the point I was really worried about. Starters' bad condition, short practice days, homeground for thailand, and big game loss to thailand by korea.

But there's nothing we can do if we worry about this. As captin kim said, we should believe our strength and just do our best.

Thailand seems a little bit unsettled in today's match. Their reception wasn't stable, not using middles due to that, and nootsara got her finger injured today. Korea turned kazakhstan down by 3-0, but thailand suffered a lot from them today because of their short height.

Though Korea is not at good situation with captin Kim's bad body state, they improved a lot under lavarini: Kim heejin is getting better, not to mention Lee jaeyeong. Kang sowhi is also playing good especially in serve, Kim suji is awesome in moving attacks and block, she's really consistent. Though Yang hyojin's performance dropped because Lavarini doesn't want her big weapon: zone 3 open attack, I think Korea might use this tomorrow considering an interview from Lavarini.

Tomorrow's matches worries me a bit but I decided to just believe players. They prepared well, and they are desperate because it would be the last olympic of yeonkoung kim. She makes results when the team needs her best, so I will believe her. Let's go Korea😲😲

• Previously, you mentioned last Asian Championship semifinal, I had very similar impression. Especially since many of Taiwanese players are in fact under 23 and are lead by a Japanese coach. Today they really gave Korea a scare, but ultimately lacked consistency in later sets. It is a promising team.

About Yang Hyo-jin zone three open attack against Thailand. Actually, it strikes me as weird. Is sharing your plan for the match during the interview a good idea?

And you're absolutely right. Kim Young-koung is almost always doing well when she's most needed, her dedication to National Team is quite impressive. We'll just have to hope for the best.

• Previously, you mentioned last Asian Championship semifinal, I had very similar impression. Especially since many of Taiwanese players are in fact under 23 and are lead by a Japanese coach. Today they really gave Korea a scare, but ultimately lacked consistency in later sets. It is a promising team.

About Yang Hyo-jin zone three open attack against Thailand. Actually, it strikes me as weird. Is sharing your plan for the match during the interview a good idea?

And you're absolutely right. Kim Young-koung is almost always doing well when she's most needed, her dedication to National Team is quite impressive. We'll just have to hope for the best.

Lavarini mentioned it like they might use yang's open. I think it's some of tactics to throw thailand off.

Is KYK's injury serious? Will she play the final?

I don't know it well, but in some article, Kim prepared to play semi against chinese taipei when korea lost 1st set. I think she will play today taking this into consideration.

• what i love about semis game is they overcome crisis after the 1st set and started believing that they can win even without kyk

Finally, a huge improvement in korean NT. Let's face it, they desperately need to be less dependent on kyk if they still want to be competitive after kyk era, which will come sooner.

And I love how Lee Dayeong utilized the MBs a lot when the opponent blockers focus on Lee Jaeyeong.

What they need to focus is on the receiving so the chance for successful attack is much higher.

• Wow... Kim yeonkoung played with angesics. Her abdominal muscle is ruptured. Need more examination for that.

It was amazing today, Korea played with their all heart and not giving any chances for thailand. It's sad that thailand's golden generation doesn't make it into Olympics, however it is kim's last olympics either.

Hope for good results in tokyo. I think Korea could make it because they are improving so fast!

• congrats for getting the ticket...

KYK played like she's not injured and could do no wrong... Lee JY was also on fire....

Like always, the blockers worked good... Yang HJ the star this time among the MBs..

Kim Hee Jin payed well in the first 2 sets..

Added with Thai players' errors...Notsara didn't play well, maybe because her previous injury... and sadly, as zenith mentioned, she and her fellow golden generation couldn't get through the olympic....

Side note: I find it interesting how often Lavarini singled out Lee DY in timeouts...

• Congrats to South Korea.

Lavarini has done a wonderful job with the Korean NT.

Korea Volleyball Association (KVA) should really find a way to keep Lavarini and his staffs beyond the 2020 Olympics but I don't know if they have the resource to retain Lavirini services. If I remember correctly, KVA was able to look in to signing a foreign coach was all thanks to their Chairman Oh Han-Nam who forked out his own money. I wouldn't be surprised if Thailand approach Lavarini after the Olympics.

• Korean Volleyball Association is in negotiation with Stefano Lavarini on a contract extension to lead the South Korean Women's NT until the Olympics in 2021. Both sides are reportedly viewing this positively. Lavarini's agency commented that there were no issues so far that would stop the contract extension and that Lavarini wants to lead the team at the Olympics. Sources: 1, 2

• Is Kim Hae Ran pregnant? I read in a Chinese article that said something along those lines unless they were implying that she plans on starting a family.

Edit: Just found out in the Korean League thread that she retired few months ago. I thought she did good as their libero at the World Cup. Is Oh Ji Young better?

• Is Kim Hae Ran pregnant? I read in a Chinese article that said something along those lines unless they were implying that she plans on starting a family.

Edit: Just found out in the Korean League thread that she retired few months ago. I thought she did good as their libero at the World Cup. Is Oh Ji Young better?

yep Kim Haeran's pregnant. And already retired after 2019/20 season to start a family.

She's literally a legendary libero in Korea.

As Kim Haeran retired, I guess Oh Jiyoung will be the main libero of NT. She's doing great playing for her club KGC.