2020 Olympic Games - Tokyo (Female)

• USA is not going to miss Carlini. With her or without they can’t beat Italy or China.

Truthfully, same as bringing swp 😂 i mean can't believe the stans are believing they can make BIG difference over those who made the roster. USA doesn't have go to player. They need to train drews/Thompson 24hrs 7x a week starting today just to defend the zone 1!!

• I think Italy or China, one of these two is basically secured at the Final match, will depend who will be the 1st of the Pool B. On the other hand, I think Brazil, if they face the US in a semifinal, can upset them and be in the final too, but if they face China or Italy will be almost impossible (I don’t know how the SFs system will work). So, a little bit blinded, since I’ m not sure about the possibles match ups, here are my predictions:

Gold: Italy

Silver: Brazil

Bronze: China

MVP: Paola Egonu

Top scorer: Paola Egonu

Most disappointing team: Serbia

• If Brazil ends up at 1st in Pool A and Pool B finishes like that:

1- Italy

2- China

3- USA

4- Turkey

Is it possible for Brazil to play agains the US on a semifinal? And Italy and China play against each other on the other one?

• Yes, it's possible. The random drawings would have to go their way for that to happen. (and Brazil would most likely have to finish 1st in their pool)

• Yes, it's possible. The random drawings would have to go their way for that to happen. (and Brazil would most likely have to finish 1st in their pool)

Thanks! Yeah, and even if it happens, it’s far from being and easy way for Brazil

• Gold: China

Silver: Italy

Bronze: Serbia

MVP: Zhu

Top Scorer: Egonu

IMO China & Italy are the top 2 teams without any doubt, they are really 50/50 that I can’t tell who really has the edge. I bet China to win the Gold just because I’m the fan of JLP, and I like the more all-around Zhu than Egonu.

Italy has both the best offender & defender of the world in their team, but their setter & 2nd OH remain their most unstable and unreliable positions.

China has the most balanced team and the best coach with best tactics and fastest reaction during a match that helped her teams win some miracle matches in history. However, the wrist injury of Zhu, and whether their best blocker Yan Ni can physically cope with so many
    matches in consecutive days considering her age and injuries, will be the biggest concern of this Chinese team.

Many predict Serbia to be the biggest disappointment, but their draw just makes them have the easiest way to reach the semifinal. Their only difficult match in pool stage is the one vs Brazil, which I believe Serbia still has the upper hand. After securing the 1st position of Pool A, they will face Turkey or Russia in the quarter unless some major upsets happen in Pool B. I believe they have no problem to beat either team to reach the semi.

• I wonder who will be the "blamed" player(s) here in Italy if they really flop hard. I remember after Rio Orro was getting blamed way too much, until the last couple of seasons she was judged way too harshly by a lot of people claming Malinov (and Cambi) were the far superior setters

I guess Sylla and Malinov

• I wonder who will be the "blamed" player(s) here in Italy if they really flop hard. I remember after Rio Orro was getting blamed way too much, until the last couple of seasons she was judged way too harshly by a lot of people claming Malinov (and Cambi) were the far superior setters

Mazzanti.
    He can be only blamed if this names that He has in Italian NT flops.

• Everyone seems to be written off Brazil from podium finish and rightfully so. Just hope that they can pull some major upset and end up on podium again. 💪🏼

The fate of Brazil will be depended a lot on the match against Serbia in pool stage. Even though I think Serbia is the favorite, but not by a large margin. And I’ll definitely root for Brazil to pull the upset against Serbia to get the 1st position of Pool A.💪🏻💪🏻

• The fate of Brazil will be depended a lot on the match against Serbia in pool stage. Even though I think Serbia is the favorite, but not by a large margin. And I’ll definitely root for Brazil to pull the upset against Serbia to get the 1st position of Pool A.💪🏻💪🏻

Haven’t seen Serbia played as a full team for so long. I wonder how they will perform especially now that Mihajlovic is in a questionable state. Just hoping that they can pull some London Olympic magic. Having Brazil VS USA again on semifinal will be a sight to see and maybe VS China on the final for the continuation of Beijing & Rio final.

Whatever it is I am looking forward for some great high quality matches from all teams participating.

• Since China seems the heavy favorite, I feel they will fall apart in the final :/ I support China though.

I think only Italy has chances to beat China if ever they meet in the Final. Or maybe China will do what they did in 2016 and start badly in the competition only to win it in the end. For real though, I hope Pool B has some upsets, as most of us already have the Qfs planned out :win:

• avid How does this alternate player situation work? So these players will travel to Tokyo, but only will be able to replace a player due to Covid or does that include injuries as well now?

Seems like USA is the only ones bringing alternates (SWP, Plummer, Dixon, Carlini, Courtney, Tapp), don't think any of the other teams that released a roster talked about alternates.

• avid How does this alternate player situation work? So these players will travel to Tokyo, but only will be able to replace a player due to Covid or does that include injuries as well now?

Seems like USA is the only ones bringing alternates (SWP, Plummer, Dixon, Carlini, Courtney, Tapp), don't think any of the other teams that released a roster talked about alternates.

Yes, they can replace anyone (for any reason) up until first serve. Once the competition starts, then there will be no exchange/swap due to injury. (I'm not sure if covid is affected by this)

FIFA/IOC got approval (or was rumored) to just roster all of their alternates so there was no swapping for soccer... I was hoping IOC/FIVB might do the same

• Who are the japanese olympians who made the roster for Tokyo as well? Araki, Shimamura, Ishii and Tashiro if I remember correct?

• Yes, they can replace anyone (for any reason) up until first serve. Once the competition starts, then there will be no exchange/swap due to injury. (I'm not sure if covid is affected by this)

FIFA/IOC got approval (or was rumored) to just roster all of their alternates so there was no swapping for soccer... I was hoping IOC/FIVB might do the same

I feel like alternates will have to leave once competition begins so even if a player does catch covid midway throughout the competition, they won't have alternates available to replace them.

• Who are the japanese olympians who made the roster for Tokyo as well? Araki, Shimamura, Ishii and Tashiro if I remember correct?

Yes those 4 made it.

S: Momii, Tashiro

OPP: Kurogo,

OH: Koga, Ishii, Ishikawa, Hayashi

MB: Araki, Shimamura, Yamada, Okumura

L: Kobata

4 middles was definitely an interesting choice for Japan.