Serbia NT 2020

• De Gennaro is getting praised literally from every player and every coach.

We are watching living legends like her and Maja. Enjoy in them because soon they will be "history" after ends of their career and We can say that We watched them "live". :heart:

Did Maja said anything, is this her last year with both club and NT season ??? Or We have still some hopes for 1 more season after Olympics ?

• Now that Tokyo is moved a year back, it's 100 % certain that it will be the last year of her NT career. As for club career, it's still an open question (I doubt she herself knows). Many of us have been sending her into retirement for a number of years (partly because of her own statements of wanting to start a family with Ikodinovic), but it still hasn't come. I stopped anticipating anything, and am just enjoying the ride, as long as it may last.

• De Gennaro is getting praised literally from every player and every coach.

The same thing is with Maja, Haak said it becore couple of days on CEV interview that she is the best player of all time, also in this seminar was mentioned that Kiraly said that she is the best world setter, and many others.....It is unnecesary to and dont all of us share that opinion, but we certainly have the opportunity to enjoy a unique and magical player like Maja and De Gennaro, and as for Maja, unfortunately that opportunity will be one more year IMO, especially if she wins everything what she wants to win.

• I am curious about this so I want to ask it in here because it is related to Serbia. I know that Bosnia and Herzegovina is actually is divided to Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina and Republica Srpska. However I believe the people from both sides have the Bosnian passport so why dont these players from Republica Srpska choose to play for Bosnia and Herzegovina. Is it easy to swith the nationality that easy?

• Because people in that part of BIH are Serbians. But they are living in BIH.

So they are citizens of Bosnia but their nationality is Serbian.

Republic of Serbia wants to become independent and they are acting like that but noone recognize them. Similar as Catalonia.

Same goes with many Croatian sport players. Who are living in BIH but they are Croats.

BIH would have hell good NT with Brankica, Boskovic and Begic :whistle:

• Republic of Serbia wants to become independent and they are acting like that but noone recognize them. Similar as Catalonia.

Please be careful what are you writing.

Republic of Serbia is independent and sovereign country, you talking about Republika Srpska and that is the only name use on all language.

I want to believe that this was just carelessness. Please correct yourself.

• In addition to what crovolley said, in cases such as these, there's always an added aspect (that plays a non-quantifiable but important part in player's decisions) of deciding to play for countries they not only identify with, but ones that also have strong teams and developed traditions in said sport. For another, very similar case in the same sport, just look at Ukraine.

• Please be careful what are you writing.

Republic of Serbia is independent and sovereign country, you talking about Republika Srpska and that is the only name use on all language.

I want to believe that this was just carelessness. Please correct yourself.

In this case, I don't think he meant anything bad. It has to be admitted that when translated into English, the names for both Serbia (the country) and Republika Srpska are the same (which is why it's very rarely translated in the latter case, as you said).

• I am curious about this so I want to ask it in here because it is related to Serbia. I know that Bosnia and Herzegovina is actually is divided to Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina and Republica Srpska. However I believe the people from both sides have the Bosnian passport so why dont these players from Republica Srpska choose to play for Bosnia and Herzegovina. Is it easy to swith the nationality that easy?

There are many things and explanations, the topic is very complex and for me personally quite poignant, so please end it on could be said a satisfactory explanation by crovolley (with one crucial error but essence is more or less corect and true).

• In this case, I don't think he meant anything bad. It has to be admitted that when translated into English, the names for both Serbia (the country) and Republika Srpska are the same (which is why it's very rarely translated in the latter case, as you said).

I also dont think he meant anything bad, i just pointed and explained what is wrong. Serb Republic is maybe only possible other translation. But Republic of Serbia surely dont.

• I am aware that the Serbians are living in Republica Srpska region but they are BIH's citizen so they can play for BIH NT as well. And as far as I remember before joining the Serbian NT, Mihajlovic did play for BIH NT so Serbians can play for BIH NT as well. I would be pissed by Serbia if I were Bosnian because of stealing the talented girls from BIH (just kidding, I know players choose to play for Serbia)

• It happens all the time, in all the sports. In some cases, it's at least partly a reflection of how inadequate some political structures and decisions were/are, but that's beyond the topic of this thread.

• In this case, I don't think he meant anything bad. It has to be admitted that when translated into English, the names for both Serbia (the country) and Republika Srpska are the same (which is why it's very rarely translated in the latter case, as you said).

Thank you. :)

• Thanks Bogdan ! Great read! I didn't know Maja was a jump server before!

• Add meliha to the list:whistle:

• I'm confused.

All I know is when I had a Croatian classmate from BiH and told her: "Oh cool so you are from Bosnia? 🇧🇦" she was quite triggered and responded by saying: "that is bosnia and HERZEGOVINA pls yes"

:lol:

I remember saying just Bosnia so many times after that sti, no wonder she kinda hated me jdjdjdkskdjx

• In addition to what crovolley said, in cases such as these, there's always an added aspect (that plays a non-quantifiable but important part in player's decisions) of deciding to play for countries they not only identify with, but ones that also have strong teams and developed traditions in said sport. For another, very similar case in the same sport, just look at Ukraine.

This is probably true, with all those names BiH would indeed have a strong team on paper right now, but would all those players have been where they are right now had they have chosen BiH as their NT, some could ok, but it isn't a given either surely. Aside from the political aspect, I agree with you that there are probably other things a player considers in the modern era/21st century, they're likely to pick the nation with better volleyball history, better resources and better chances for them to develop all in all. Some might think going to a country with no competition in your position might be an easy way to grow and be a starter but it's harder than people think to start something from nothing especially when your federation might simply not be the best either.

I bet some Bulgarian girls would love to play for other nations if possible tbh with that federation...

• Can someone explain a bit what will happen to the Serbian NT after Olympics and next ECH, hope I didnt miss this discussion? Some really world class names will be quitting like Maja, probably adding Popovic, Stevanovic, Veljkovic and Rasic. Besides, Mihajlovic will be over 30...

Are there any good prospects coming? I can only think of Busa, Milenkovic and Mina Popovic in addition to Boskovic. Mirkovic will be nowhere Maja's quality etc. There were also rumours of Terzic quitting the NT? What do you think, will Serbia become like Poland or will they recover quickly?

• Can someone explain a bit what will happen to the Serbian NT after Olympics and next ECH, hope I didnt miss this discussion? Some really world class names will be quitting like Maja, probably adding Popovic, Stevanovic, Veljkovic and Rasic. Besides, Mihajlovic will be over 30...

Are there any good prospects coming? I can only think of Busa, Milenkovic and Mina Popovic in addition to Boskovic. Mirkovic will be nowhere Maja's quality etc. There were also rumours of Terzic quitting the NT? What do you think, will Serbia become like Poland or will they recover quickly?

IMO Rasic will not retire after the Olympics i think she want to play for at least one more year (maybe whole olympic cycle). With this news that Veljkovic wants to become mum, she seems as surefire candidate for at least a break. Popovic is the logical candidate for retireing, just like Maja, but with Maja can never be sure. Stevanovic is already out of the national team.

About prospects coming i would add:

Lazovic, Mirosavljevic on OH postion, on MB postion Aleksic for sure and few very young good prospects wich i hope to see in some of the next editions of VNL. Opposite IMO no one at least quality like Bjelica, Malagurski not to compare with Boskovic ofc. libero position Pusic and Gocanin and maybe Sanja Djurdjevic(girl from UB - Cup titleholder, 22 yo) i think that she deserve a chance in national team also. Setter position is obviously the biggest problem, so as not be, when we have Maja on that position, with her withdrawal the loss will be great in terms of level of playing, but i believe it will not reflect too much on the results, as long as Boskovic play in addition at least solid players which we will always have, also we will be among the best in Europe,surely not dominant as now, but i expect that we would challenge also world best teams in future.

On setter position i pay attention on Veselinovic and Rada Perovic (2 young setters from Serbian Superleague, Veselinovic 21yo, Perovic 19yo)