South Korea - Women's V-League 2020-2021

• What is it MIP?

It has been heartbreaking to watch such a poor performance from my idol Kim Yeon-Koung. I will be sad for long time after such an unexpected defeat.

I had to google it and I presume it means Most Improved Player.

• Congratulations to GS Caltex!!! :drink:

The team showed an awesome defensive job at digging. Lee So-Young played pretty well, alongside with Merete Lutz.

Pink Spiders seemed to rely mostly on attack and were out of balance. Good for the league that this wasn't enough.

• took me acouple of days to actually want to watch the whole game, (only watched 1st game, and that was it). cant say I'm surprised heungkuk loss, but I am disappointed. sometimes you win, sometimes don't. im not disappointed at the loss as much as the multiple repeated mistakes from earlier games until the finals. i hope they get it together, and hopefully the players rest well.

Congratulations GS KIXX

• That is very amusing, considering that they gave it to probably the most established korean volleyball player.

lol, I decided not comment on it, google didn't help me but QPL did

• 2020-2021 KOVO Women's Rookie Draft Applicant List

No.High SchoolPlayer NameHeight (cm)Weight (kg)Middle SchoolPosition
    1Gangneung Girls' H.S.
    강릉여고
    KIM Su-Bin
    김수빈
    16358Haeram M.S.
    해람중
    Li
    2Gangneung Girls' H.S.
    강릉여고
    SONG Yoo-Jeong
    송유정
    172.871Jungang Girls' M.S.
    중앙여중
    OP, OH
    3Gwangju P.E.H.S.
    광주체고
    SIM Ah-Ryang
    심아령
    16461Haeram M.S.
    해람중
    Li
    4Gwangju P.E.H.S.
    광주체고
    CHOI So- Eun
    최소은
    173.465Gwangju P.E.M.S.
    광주체중
    OH, MB
    5Namsung Girls' H.S.
    남성여고
    YANG Si-Yeon
    양시연
    18368Busan Girls' M.S.
    부산여중
    MB
    6Namsung Girls' H.S.
    남성여고
    LEE Seon-Woo
    이선우
    18469Busan Girls' M.S.
    부산여중
    OH
    7Namsung Girls' H.S.
    남성여고
    JO Eun-Su
    조은수
    16558Busan Girls' M.S.
    부산여중
    Li
    8Daegu Girls' H.S.
    대구여고
    KWON Min-Sook
    권민숙
    17062Daeguil M.S.
    대구일중
    OP, OH
    9Daegu Girls' H.S.
    대구여고
    PARK Ji-Min
    박지민
    17573Daeguil M.S.
    대구일중
    OP, MB
    10Daejeon Yongsan H.S.
    대전용산고
    SEO You-Kyeong
    서유경
    16761Sintanjungang M.S.
    신탄중앙중
    OH
    11Daejeon Yongsan H.S.
    대전용산고
    HAM Ji-Hyeon
    함지현
    172.862Sintanjungang M.S.
    신탄중앙중
    OP, MB
    12Mokpo Girls' Comm. H.S.
    목포여상)
    KIM In-Yeong
    김인영
    169.452Younghwa M.S.
    영화중
    OP, OH, MB, Li
    13Sunmyung Girls' H.S.
    선명여고
    PARK Ji-Won
    박지원
    17767Gyeonghae Girls' M.S.
    경해여중
    MB
    14Sunmyung Girls' H.S.
    선명여고
    PARK Hae-Jin
    박혜진
    17760Gyeonghae Girls' M.S.
    경해여중
    S
    15Sunmyung Girls' H.S.
    선명여고
    CHOI Su-Jin
    최수진
    18170Gyeonghae Girls' M.S.
    경해여중
    MB
    16Sunmyung Girls' H.S.
    선명여고
    HAN Mi-Reu
    한미르
    16660Gyeonghae Girls' M.S.
    경해여중
    Li
    17Sehwa Girls' H.S.
    세화여고
    RYU Seo-Hyeon
    류서현
    166.663Sehwa Girls' M.S.
    세화여중
    Li
    18Sehwa Girls' H.S.
    세화여고
    SONG Ha-Yeon
    송하연
    178.867Sehwa Girls' M.S.
    세화여중
    OP
    19Sehwa Girls' H.S.
    세화여고
    LEE Hyo-In
    이효인
    173.769Sehwa Girls' M.S.
    세화여중
    OP, S
    20Sehwa Girls' H.S.
    세화여고
    HYEON Moo-Lin
    현무린
    167.667Sehwa Girls' M.S.
    세화여중
    OP, OH, S
    21Ilshin Girls' Comm. H.S.
    일신여상
    KIM Min-Seo
    김민서
    15854Ilshin Girls' M.S.
    일신여중
    Li
    22Ilshin Girls' Comm. H.S.
    일신여상
    PARK Chae-Bin
    박채빈
    18171Sungsan M.S.
    성산중
    OP
    23Ilshin Girls' Comm. H.S.
    일신여상
    CHONG Hyo-Jin
    정효진
    17366Ilshin Girls' M.S.
    일신여중)
    OP, OH
    24Jeonju Geunyoung Girls' H.S.
    전주근영여고
    MOON Seon-Hwa
    문선화
    172.669Cheongju Geumcheon M.S.
    청주금천중)
    OP
    25Jeonju Geunyoung Girls' H.S.
    전주근영여고
    IM Se-Eun
    임세은
    17058Jeonju Geunyeong M.S.
    전주근영중
    OH
    26Jecheon Girls' H.S.
    (제천여고)
    KIM Jeong-A
    김정아
    171.262Jecheon Girls' M.S.
    제천여중
    OH
    27Jecheon Girls' H.S.
    제천여고
    KIM Ji-Won
    김지원
    173.168Gyeonghae Girls' M.S.
    경해여중)
    S
    28Jecheon Girls' H.S.
    제천여고
    JO Yun-Hee
    조윤희
    171.962Jecheon Girls' M.S.
    제천여중
    OP
    29Jungang Girls' H.S.
    중앙여고
    OH Se-Yeon
    오세연
    18062Wongok M.S.
    원곡중
    MB
    30Jungang Girls' H.S.
    중앙여고
    IM Ye-Rim
    임예림
    16662Sinchang M.S
    신창중)
    OH
    31Jungang Girls' H.S.
    중앙여고
    LEE Ryeong-Gyu
    이령규
    16360Jungang G.M.S.
    중앙여중
    Li
    32Cheonan Cheongsu H.S.
    천안청수고
    KO Ji-Hye
    고지혜
    170.359Cheonan Bongseo
    천안봉서중
    Li
    33Cheonan Cheongsu H.S.
    천안청수고
    KIM Hyeon-Ah
    김현아
    165.863Cheonan Bongseo
    천안봉서중
    Li
    34Cheonan Cheongsu H.S.
    천안청수고
    SIN Hyeon-Ho
    신현호
    179.869Cheonan Bongseo
    천안봉서중
    MB
    35Pohang Girls' H.S.
    포항여고
    CHOI Da-Hyeon
    최다현
    17159Pohang Girls' M.S.
    포항여중
    OP, OH
    36Hanbom H.S.
    한봄고
    PARK Ji-Woo
    박지우
    17261Suil Girls' M.S.
    수일여중
    OH
    37Hanbom H.S.
    한봄고
    SIN Yu-Bin
    신유빈
    166.464Wongok M.S.
    원곡중
    Li
    38Hanbom H.S.
    한봄고
    YOO Ji-Yeon
    유지연
    162.465Suil Girls' M.S.
    수일여중
    Li
    39Hanbom H.S.
    한봄고
    CHOI Jeong-Min
    최정민
    179.167Suil Girls' M.S.
    수일여중
    OH

* Table is not based on the post from KOVO Instragram account but from the table found on KOVO website minus two columns the Grade column (3rd column) and Middle School (7th column).

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

The draft will take place at 14:00 KST on September 22nd, 2020 at Cheongdam Riveria Hotel. This year there is a total of 39 players from 15 high schools. Seem like the draft will be conduct online with no players or club officials. The draft will be broadcast on Naver. Base on the ranking from 2019-2020 season, the draft lottery is as such:

Korea Expressway Hi-pass - 35%

IBK Altos - 30%

KGC - 20%

Heungkuk Life Insurance Pink Spiders - 9%

GS Caltex KIXX - 4%

Hyundai E&C Hillstate - 2%

From various articles the players to lookout for this year is LEE Seon-Woo (#6), CHOI Jeong-Min (#39), PARK Hae-Jin (#14) and HAN Mi-Reu (#16). Overall this year batch isn't as good as the past two seasons.

P.S. I will add the players' name in Han-gul later and maybe the middle school.

Edited 4 times, last by theloneracer: Added player's name in Hangul and middle school. Amended the romanisation of a few players to match FIVB records. Added players' profile from 2019 FIVB Volleyball Girls' U18 World Championship. Added additional sources. Correction of player's name. ().

• The players seem pretty short compared to the current NT, yeah?

Yeah, the majority of players this time are really short.

Here is a good article about some of this year applicants and it mention about the lack of height for a lot of these players,

Part 1 - http://thespike.co.kr/news/new…hp?ncode=1065542374778079

I also found this fan ranking/summaries of some of the key players.

https://gall.dcinside.com/mgal…omanvolleyball&no=1403085

• Thank you. I was going to post this but forgot to do it.

The final was played from the most recent tournament, the 75th National Men's & Women's Volleyball Championship. I think this is the third time Sunmyung Girls' H.S. and Hanbom H.S. (formerly Suwon Comp. Girls' H.S.) have met at the finals since last year with Sunmyung now ahead 2-1.

Both teams colour are primarily red and black but Hambom libero is in blue and black.

Just a warning for those with high expectation, this isn't at the same leave as the Japanese high school volleyball.

The other players in the draft from each team are as follow:

Sunmyung - No. 10 PARK ji-Won (MB), and No. 11 CHOI Su-Jin (MB).

Hanbom - No. 17 PARK Ji-Woo (OH), No. 4 SIN Yu-Bin (Li), and No. 14 YOO Ji-Yeon (OH).

• I hope the coverage of HS ball picks up and carries on here. It's fascinating and educational to spot young talent and see patterns of schools. I notice someone recently added a whole bunch of High Schools to SK players over at volleybox.

What's University V-ball like in Korea? In Japan it seems like a black hole. Very little coverage and it also seems like players who go to university don't get the love they deserve. I get it that if you're a star in HS you go right to the V.League to make a career of it, whereas going to Uni suggests you have another career in mind and just like playing volleyball. It's not a rule. A number of good players go to Uni and then play well in V.League, some even reach the NT (Miya Sato and Mai Okumura, Arisa Inoue, and Mako Kobata come to mind).

Do they have a 9-ball league in SK?

• I hope the coverage of HS ball picks up and carries on here. It's fascinating and educational to spot young talent and see patterns of schools. I notice someone recently added a whole bunch of High Schools to SK players over at volleybox.

What's University V-ball like in Korea? In Japan it seems like a black hole. Very little coverage and it also seems like players who go to university don't get the love they deserve. I get it that if you're a star in HS you go right to the V.League to make a career of it, whereas going to Uni suggests you have another career in mind and just like playing volleyball. It's not a rule. A number of good players go to Uni and then play well in V.League, some even reach the NT (Miya Sato and Mai Okumura, Arisa Inoue, and Mako Kobata come to mind).

I hope whoever adding the high school players into volleybox didn't use my translation. I tend to make quite a few errors and I had to fix one just before. :aww:

There are a some videos on youtube of high school matches. Sometime a production crew cover a tournament like isports TV Korea (and there 2nd channel isportstv2). Before covid, fan like jipuragi do live streaming on afreecatv (their youtube channel 수시아의 발리TV).

There isn't much coverage of women's university volleyball (much more coverage for the men's competition). To me it seems like the level is more amateur than pro, think university club level competition. If I remember correctly the KUVF re-established the women's competition again late last year or early this year after getting enough teams but not sure what is happening with that. Unlike the Japanese, I have not seen a case where a female university player joining the V-League, this only happens in the men.

I pretty sure there is 9-ball but there is no coverage and it is more toward recreational level of competition.

Rookies preview from TheSpike

Part 2 - http://thespike.co.kr/news/new…hp?ncode=1065540303001017

• I hope whoever adding the high school players into volleybox didn't use my translation. I tend to make quite a few errors and I had to fix one just before.

Not sure if you mean the translations of the players or the school name, but man oh man it's tough on both fronts. I only noticed High Schools being added to League players, didn't notice high school players still in school being added (but that may be true too).

:heart: I added Sunmyung and Jungang, I put quite a lot of effort into finding the players, adding them to the database and even finding good pictures from them :D Edit: Forgot that most of the players I added were from Pohang City Semi-Pro but yeah whatever ^^

• :heart: I added Sunmyung and Jungang, I put quite a lot of effort into finding the players, adding them to the database and even finding good pictures from them :D Edit: Forgot that most of the players I added were from Pohang City Semi-Pro but yeah whatever ^^

Good on you! It's a lot of work.

• So I watched a few matches focusing on number 1 or 2 ranked draft pick Choi Jeong-min (OH). Her skills on the attack certainly stand out among her peers, but from the games I saw, she doesn't receive at all. Her coach employs her quite a bit at center too. I'm curious to see how that will translate as a pro. Obviously, with her size, she won't ever be able to play as MB. Jung Ho-young struggled quite a bit as a rookie too because she can't defend, but now she seems to have found her footing in the middle. That won't be an option for Choi.

And a non-receiving OH under 180 doesn't seem that attractive either.

It's gonna be a steep road of hard work ahead if she wants to have an impact as a pro.

I'm trying to find more videos of Lee Seon-woo.

• Heungkuk Life seems to have new home jerseys for the upcoming season, as seen on several players' social media.

Nothing officially announced as of yet but the players already posted selfies in the new kit.

Looks like some sort of pattern ? Idk if it's supposed to look like something I would recognize lol but I think it looks cool

Also it seems like KYK will be the captain for the next season and not Kim Miyeon unlike previously announced. Nothing against KMY of course but KYK as captain feels like the natural choice anyway since it felt weird seeing her play in KOVO Cup in the well-known Number 10 jersey but not having her number underlined. Im just going by what I saw on her instagram with the captain's jersey so lets see if Heungkuk Life announces anything of the sort.

Park Eunsoo

Do Soobin

Kim Chaeyeon

Kim Nahee

Backup of KYK IG Story