South Korea - Women's V-League 2020-2021

• Holy cow this is much worse than expected. Rather than a mere battle of egos, it seems the twins literally tried to bully the entire team. The obliviousness of the twins in thinking this was okay and not putting an end to it until it reached a boiling point is remarkable. Probably didn't help that the coach and the twins' mother were supposedly close and were friends from having been teammates a while ago.

All speculation, but LJY seems alright but perhaps subservient whereas LDY is :sos::read::wall:.

what do you mean by bullying the whole team? LOL

park mi hee already denied the accusations about the twin's mother regarding their practices, and park mi hee is the senior of their mother, not the other way around. lee Juah? slave? I don't think so because she's often the one who always posts funny and stolen pictures of LJY and she always hangs out with LDY, yeah dayeong is not close to the seniors of the team but she is to the Juniors especially the two rookies.

about the two practicings together I think it's the coach's fault they should have done something about it unless they're the one who instructs the twins to do that.

And Kim Seyoung is already 40 years old so it's no surprise if she already wants to retire.

About the suicide, the police said they didn't saw anything on the scene.

• Please do take down your translation as half of the translation is completely wrong. A wrong/misleading translation is far more damaging than having no translation at all - google translate would be better as even if confusing, its more accurate than false/misleading translations + people know to read them with a pinch of salt.

1. It's not Lee Juah and Do Subin, in both cases it was "팀 막내 D 선수” (maknae player D) - and they used the English alphabet D, which does not correspond to their Korean names.

The had also used “A 배구 선수” (volleyball player A) in the same article - its equivalent to A, B, C, D.

If you wish to guess their identities, maknae players can only be Hyeon Moolin & Park Hyejin.

Who are both very close to Dayeong and have played in her room multiple times + showed up in her IG lives + thanked her for always sharing her snacks with them.

2. "Show put on by sisters” is not even found in any part of the article - where did you even get this from?? This is why a false/

Misleading translation is more damaging than having none.

"이다영 숙소에서 번개탄을 피고 자살하려 한 사건을 단순 배탈이라고 축소 해명했다."

Regarding the suicide attempt, the article says above that "the club clarified it was a stomachache"

And this claim was already retracted by the club as a false statement soon after too - which is a clear sign that this article has no basis for everything else they’re claiming.

This reporter has likely simply compiled whatever they’ve found across forums to add to this article for clicks. Do note that most Korean reporters are not required to fact check, and their sole purpose is to put out as many articles as possible and get as many clicks.

3."다른 세터 3명은 누구의 눈치(?)를 보느라 거의 훈련을 하지 않았고"

"The other 3 setters were watching out for someone's(?) gaze and almost didnt train at all"

Article didn't even say “the other two setters barely had the chance to practice with the rest of the team.” (how did you mix up 2 & 3?)

It simply said they almost didn't train (거의 훈련을 하지 않았고)

This statement is likely implying that the twins’ mom was watching the training and they were wary of her gaze.

However this too was already disproved by Coach Park Mihee who said personally that the twins mum never visited. The logic is also false as their mum has zero authority over Coach Mihee, as Park Mihee is older and more senior to their mum.

If haters wished to claim baselessly that DY did not train with other attackers, at least that is believable to a certain extent.

But what reason would other setters have to not train at all? None.

If they truly did not have the chance to train - it’ll be on Coach Mihee or the player’s own fault.

I will end this with, all the other claims made in this article,

junior being told what to do all the time (“slave”)

“black sheep” of team

two players FA (this is believable/likely even without any issues on the team)

DY taking half body bath & singing

DY trying to commit suicide by burning coal (releases carbon monoxide)

Mihee telling players to “take the twins when you go out”

though the ‘translation’ is correct, they are all baseless rumours without any proof or real sources.

They are all made up by haters in korean forums, just like their claim of “twins mum visiting training grounds to monitor their training” - immediately shut down by Coach Mihee

• As a I had mentioned earlier the addition of KYK and the other twin, changed the power dynamics of the team. Let alone sisters. It is one thing with a 50 person American football team roster, but another with a 14-18 player roster and with both of them starters. KYK having played overseas and with higher level stars as part of the teams there, was trying to be a voice of reason to management. Are we pulling in the same direction? This team is expected to win a title and if we have injuries we need people to step in to support us. Yes the stars are needed, but the bench/role players may be important to reach the goal.

The actions if true by the twins could have further driven a divide that KYK believed could happen.

• Many things in the article got changed since I wrote my post. I don't know how many times it was redacted, but here's a web archive of the page at around 4:26 GMT. Not sure if it's the same version I saw yesterday, but you can still see them talking about Player L and Player D. I never said that they were "not allowed to train".

http://web.archive.org/web/202…icleView.html?idxno=48729

Like I said in that post, all errors were mine and I would more than welcome a real translation. As the article was modified, which defeats the purpose of my last post, I'm going to delete it.

• Many things in the article got changed since I wrote my post. I don't know how many times it was redacted, but here's a web archive of the page at around 4:26 GMT. Not sure if it's the same version I saw yesterday, but you can still see them talking about Player L and Player D. I never said that they were "not allowed to train".

http://web.archive.org/web/202…icleView.html?idxno=48729

Like I said in that post, all errors were mine and I would more than welcome a real translation. As the article was modified, which defeats the purpose of my last post, I'm going to delete it.

the fact that the article was that much edited shows how unreliable it is

• Based on the match today, GS Caltex looks like they have picked up some rhythm and should finish R6 strong.

Predicting 1. GS Caltex 2. Pink Spiders 3. Hi-Pass/ IBK (could go either way).

But I think Hi-Pass is a better opponent for GS Caltex in the finals.

I feel sorry for KYK in the past few matches, I really hope Bruna can step up if not KYK will also probably not want to play in the next 6games/ playoffs as its really meaningless, although I'm sure she is professional and she will carry this through.

• Hey guys,

Amidst the shitstorm that is taking over V-league, lets take some time to celebrate the little things in life :)

In the latest match of Pink Spiders vs IBK, KYK finally used her signature spike serve for the first time in years (correct me if I'm wrong). In an interview she did recently, fans asked why she stopped using it so I guess it may have prompted her to try it out again!

Pardon the shitty gif.

• Oh. My. God. :love: This gif gave me the chills! I simply adored that routine back in the days... Oh the nostalgia

• Thanks for keeping us up to date with Yeum Hye Seon. Its really a mystery or uncanny timing.

She was a NT setter, wonder if this will affect OG. Honestly none of the backups like Lee Go Eun, Ahn Hye Jin (suggested by the media) look stable.

Hopefully she can come back before the VNL. They really need her.

Honestly the depth at the setter position is pretty bad in Korea, with each having glaring flaws. The idea would be to bring a duo that can cover for the other... I'd just pick Yeum Hye-seon and Ahn Hye-jin and call it a day.

The list of starters in Korea is this (in order of team ranking as of today): Ahn Hye-jin, Lee Go-eun, Cho Song-hwa, Yeum Hye-seon, Kim Da-in.

Obviously, to paraphrase loosely an ex-footballer from Korea, a short term competition of the highest level like the Olympics is not a place to learn but a place to show your skills. So in my view, it disqualifies the rookie starters who just got the main job for the first time this year. I'll still talk a bit about them since I like both of them.

Lee Go-eun: If you have watched Hi-pass since the KOVO cup, you can really see how much she's improved game after game (the same could be said about Kelsie...). Coming in with a glaring lack of self-confidence, she played even smaller on the court than she already is. With Park Jeong-ah struggling and Kelsie still not finding her rhythm in a new league, LGO really suffered during the first half of the season. But as the trust in her from the coach grew more and more, so did her confidence and her play. As a defender in the back row, she's really the best there is among setters. I cannot help but be impressed with how she accepts to sacrifice her body to save a ball. With her libero level digs, she looks like a taller Kim Yeon-gyeon. However, on top of being way too inexperienced for the big game, she's just too short for the job. Even in Korea, she sometimes struggle as a blocker due to her short stature. Bring her against 190cm+ spikers and it's basically a license for opponents to go through her when she's in position 2.

Kim Da-in: she surprises me in a positive way. The way she played at the beginning of the season, I thought for sure it wouldn't take long for Lee Do-hee to revert back to Lee Na-yeon. But she stuck to her guns, and we're beginning to see the rewards. Hyundai's bad early season can't be all blamed on her though. Yang Hyo-jin played the worst stretch of her career. Not only didn't she produce much points-wise, she couldn't block a beach ball. Go Ye-rim was invisible and Hwang Min-kyung forgot how to play volleyball. Kim Da-in has looked really good the last few games. She has finally figured how to use the middle more. Not only has Yang Hyo-jin revived, but both Jeong Ji-yun and Lee Da-hyun are playing really well too. When all things fail, just give it to Hyo-jin. Like Lee Go-eun, nature didn't give her height... However, while I don't have her blocking stats, she seems to have a pretty decent blocking height for her size! At least, through the eye test, she has good timing so it never feels like she's a liability. Still too short for international play though. While not Da-yeong fast, she has pretty quick feet. Her decision making is getting faster too. That look of being overwhelmed, like a deer caught in the headlines, has all but disappeared. Good for her.

• Now let's get to the true main players: Cho Song-hwa, Yeum Hye-seon and Ahn Hye-jin. I'll start with the one who I think shouldn't be on the National Team.

Cho Song-hwa: if there is one prototype of setter that is the opposite of what Lavarini desires for his system, it's Cho Song-hwa. Lavarini wants to play fast volleyball. Against taller and stronger opponents, you need to outwit them with speed. Cho Song-hwa has the slowest feet in the entire league. This causes her all kinds of troubles if your team's reception is bad. If she's your starting setter, it is almost imperative that you put a lineup of KYK with Lee So-young and Yim Myung-ok on the court to maximize reception efficiency. In terms of in-game management, she's about as vanilla as you can get, the type of style that maybe Korean coaches like. On a good day, she'll give you stable and consistent, albeit somewhat predictable sets. Against taller better players, you need that extra dose of creativity/craziness that she lacks to give you a puncher's chance to win. Lavarini likes a high point of contact with the ball, to meet the ball as soon as possible in the air so that you can make it do what you want it to do, rather than waiting for the ball to fall to you and let it dictate what you can do with it (I'm paraphrasing). Cho Song-hwa overrelies on bump sets not only because of her lack of speed (aka not getting to the ball in time), but also because she doesn't trust her hands enough. Too many times during a game, you can see a ball slowly falling into her range (somewhere she could easily reach), but instead of taking the initiative to jump and control it with her hands, to make a bold decision, she would just let it fall down all the way for a safer bump set. This of course makes it very easy for the opposing team to read... She has high IQ and reads the play very well. I appreciate her leadership on the court. She'd be a captain on my team any day. Defensively, her smarts more than make up for her lack of speed. When she's in the back row, she anticipates the trajectory of the ball well so that she's always well positioned to receive it rather than having to chase after it. I still wouldn't take her to the Olympics since IMO her flaws are too fatal for the team I'm trying to build. But you can bring her if you want someone to slow down the pace and add some veteran leadership.

Which gets me into my final two. Note that this is more of a "by default" choice and that I'm personally not a fan of any of those two.

Yeum Hye-seon: Without Da-yeong, she should be the leader IMO, if only by default. The last couple of weeks have been hard on her and her play has decreased. I don't know what happened between her and some of her teammates, and frankly I don't care. But for international competitions, she should be a lock, for better or for worse. With the retirement of Lee Hyo-hee, she's now the only veteran with experience, both with the National Team and in the league. She has played for many teams, for many different coaches with very different styles, so she knows and can adapt to the many ways to skin a cat. She's somewhat tall for a Korean setter, but her problem is that the way her body is shaped (short limbs?) and her lack of athleticism give her an average blocking height only... What I like more about Yeum than Cho is her use of middle blockers. Han Song-yi still produces at her venerable age and Park Eun-jin keeps progressing. We don't know what could have been with Jung Ho-young this year... Cho Song-hwa still hasn't figured out a way to feed Kim Hee-jin. Kim Su-ji's patented slide attacks work from time to time, but the numbers for the MB duo have been underwhelming this year. The setter has to take part of the responsibility. While not lightning fast, Yeum's speed is not an issue. She's also better at fixing those balls resulting from bad reception. Her one-hand back sets are a thing of beauty (when they work). What I'm worried about is how she'll be able to get the maximum out of Kim Hee-jin, since Lavarini's system puts more emphasis on the OP's attack share. It seemed that only Da-yeong could get the best out of KHJ. This is of course hypothetical to the fact that Hee-jin will be your starting OP. During the last National Team games, when Lavarini used Yeum, he would often switch out Kim Hee-jin and Lee Da-yeong, and put in Yeum with Park Jeong-ah. So depending on what will be the OP lineup, it will be interesting to see how it'll fit with Yeum. What's more problematic to me is her in-game mental strength. From time to time, she is prone to get into some kind of negative spiral where things go wrong and gets worse because she's thinking too much about it...

Ahn Hye-jin: I don't really know Ahn Hye-jin. She's the one I have the most difficulty figuring out. I can't really point out what's her style of play. Physically, for a setter, she's not short, but not tall either. Her blocking height is disappointing, but she gets by in-game. She's an inconsistent player, capable of flashes of brilliance but also of being terrible. She has a NASTY serve, so she'll be useful. Against better teams, you'll have to find any way you can to steal a few points, or at least destabilize them and make them chase after a ball to give you the advantage. On the other hand, her main weakness is that sometimes in-game, she just loses her concentration. It happens just like that, without warning LOL. So as a coach you should know when to step in and give her a little break before she gets erratic. The reason I would pick her, besides because there isn't anyone else, is I think she would fit well under a Lavarini system. She's used to play with a triumvirate, to spread around the offense when all three are healthy. Playing with very good attackers might have made her appear better than she is though... Especially the master contortionist Lee So-young, who can solve a ball from every angle! GS Caltex also has good reception and amazing floor defense, so I'd like to see how she acts when she has to run after a ball. I also don't think she's ever played with a dominant middle blocker though. How will she match with Yang Hyo-jin? Ahn Hye-jin has already trained under Lavarini, so it won't be a totally new system for her. Her hyperventilation problem is a real question mark and risk though.

If they go with Yeum Hye-seon and Ahn Hye-jin, I would bring Kim Yeon-gyeon libero. After her traumatic injury last year, and struggling a bit early in the season, she's back on top. The knock against her is that she's not the most efficient as a receiver (so no Kim Yeon-gyeon + Cho Song-hwa please...), but bringing her is basically bringing a second setter to the court. If she gets the second ball, BANG, it leaves her hand fast, right in for a strike. She can develop those skills even more with Lavarini, since they are not that common/valued in Korea.

• Thanks so much for your detailed review of all the main setters, its really insightful. I only mainly noticed Lee Da Young's play ==> as she's really superior compared to the other main setters and watch GS Caltex team as I'm a fan of Lee So Young as per my avatar.

As you said Ahn Hye Jin is quite inconsistent/ erratic and playing with Lee So Young, Kang So Hwi, Lutz makes the setters look better for sure. I didn't know she suffered from hyperventilation - is it because of stress? I think for sure she doesn't have much confidence, she mentioned in an interview, she would know for sure when she was going to get "pulled", so I guess she was always looking over her shoulder.

Personally I like GS's backup setter Lee Won Jeong, as she seems a bit more "consistent". However, it seems like something happened at Hi-Pass and Kim Jong Min doesn't really like her, thus the trade. Honestly I feel the effort/protection that Kim Jong Min is investing on Lee Go Eun, he had better spend that time with Lee Won Jeong and maybe they would have been a stronger team this year as she is only 20 years old and has tremendous upside. To expect a 20 year old to replace Lee Hyo Hee - you would probably need a mother like Lee Da Young to overcome the mental and the hierarchical order in the team.

• KOVO Dodram V-League 2020-2021

Round 5 Match 14 (#176) - Korea Expressway Corp. Hi-Pass vs. GS Caltex Seoul KIXX - February 17th, 2021

Highlights:

https://sports.news.naver.com/…o&id=763632&redirect=true (KOR VPN needed)

http://vod.afreecatv.com/PLAYER/STATION/68732633 (KOR VPN needed)

Full Replay:

https://sports.news.naver.com/…o&id=763624&redirect=true (KOR VPN needed)

https://programs.sbs.co.kr/spo…gue/vod/66992/22000404227 (ACCT needed)

http://vod.afreecatv.com/PLAYER/STATION/68731546 (KOR VPN needed)

Match Photos & Videos:

http://thespike.co.kr/news/new…hp?ncode=1065614368541002

Match Result:

Match Stats Summary:

MVP:

Current Team Standings:

Upcoming Schedule:

• The 2021 KOVO Cup tournament will be held at Uijeongbu Gymnasium (KB Star's home court). Only the six V-League teams will participate in the women's competition.
    • The women's foreign players selection will be held on April 28 (Wed), 2021. Teams will reviewed the candidates through videos from March 2 (Tue) to April 5 (Mon), 2021.
    • There will be some changes to the annual salary for the foreign players next season, player's salary will changed from tax-excluded (NET) to tax-inclusive (GROSS), female player's first contract will increased from $160,000 to $200,000 and renewal contract will increased from $210,000 to $300,000 (I assuming it is in USD).
    • Considering the period for quarantine, players will be allowed to enter South Korea starting from July 1 (Thu), 2021. If a foreign player is replaced, teams can retain the existing foreign player until the end of the quarantine period of the new foreign player.
    • 2021-2022 V-League season will start from October 16 (Sat), 2021 to April 4 (Mon), 2022. Women's matches will start at 19:00 KST on weekdays and 16:00 KST on weekends (plus public holidays). Break days for the women's division will be on Monday and Thursday.

Sources: 1, 2

Edited 2 times, last by theloneracer: Added info regarding changes to player's salary, date of player entry into the country, and the retainment of existing foreign player until the end of the quarantine period for new foreign player. ().

• There will be some changes to the annual salary for the foreign players next season, player's salary will changed from tax-excluded (NET) to tax-inclusive (GROSS), female player's first contract will increased from $160,000 to $200,000 and renewal contract will increased from $210,000 to $300,000 (I assuming it is in USD).

Sources: 1, 2

Thanks for update! I also felt it was weird the foreign players were getting so much less especially when most were outplaying the top domestic players... Like Lazareva, Diouf for eg.

Hopefully this means also more top quality talent can be attracted.

• Considering the period for quarantine, players will be allowed to enter South Korea starting from July 1 (Thu), 2021. If a foreign player is replaced, teams can retain the existing foreign player until the end of the quarantine period of the new foreign player.

I'm not sure I'd put 110% effort for those last games knowing the team will can my ass.

It's a bit confusing. I assume from reading this that the $160,000 is net salary and the new $200,000 is gross salary? If that's the case, the new foreign players don't gain anything since they'll have to pay a 19% flat income tax rate + local income tax.