Japan Women's NT 2021

• I agree about Hayashi. I think Hayashi and Mayu will be able to work better to reinforce the defense and offense. However I think Nakada isn't likely to utilize Hayashi this Olympics because Ishii has more experience and she knows Ishii's style better

• Can someone explain what's the rule for changing of players in Tokyo 2020?

If I'm not wrong there's a list of alternate players the country will need to have announced beforehand right..? (or is it reserve players)

Is it a list of 6 alternates?

Heard there was a different term for the covid-plagued Tokyo 2020 that grants more flexibility, but I'm not sure if it counts for volleyball cause I haven't heard of it before searching up

• i mean i really hate to say it but it's starting to seem like a nakada curse. first is nagaoka, 2nd is sato, 3rd is that angry bird from ageo medics who nakada was hyping but ended up busting her acl and now koga.

im not saying it's something only this team experiences but having players getting injured one after another and the crucial ones for that matter is alarming.

• Can someone explain what's the rule for changing of players in Tokyo 2020?

If I'm not wrong there's a list of alternate players the country will need to have announced beforehand right..? (or is it reserve players)

Is it a list of 6 alternates?

Heard there was a different term for the covid-plagued Tokyo 2020 that grants more flexibility, but I'm not sure if it counts for volleyball cause I haven't heard of it before searching up

They changed it due to the Corona restriction which is why some countries did not bring any alternates at all. It now depends on the situation of the team but as much as possible JOC implements a strict rule against using alternates if the team is able to push forward with the remaining players in accordance to the measures set by the IOC.

• They changed it due to the Corona restriction which is why some countries did not bring any alternates at all. It now depends on the situation of the team but as much as possible JOC implements a strict rule against using alternates if the team is able to push forward with the remaining players in accordance to the measures set by the IOC.

If I may ask further, how does that work? I googled and saw that the US team named a list of 6 alternates (not sure if they're in Japan though, but no need for 14 day quarantine if they do fly over)

Can a country call up any player at all as an alternate? Or would they all have had to decide on a list of fixed alternate players beforehand?

Would prefer if Koga could recover and continue if it were just a less serous ankle twist/sprain though - good to know its not her knee

• there is no way Nabeya is playing. After the tournament starts you cannot replace players. All teams had 12 players named. They were all conforming to requirements for Covid testing, etc.

Alternates were participating until a certain date. After the start of the tournament, alternates are not allowed.

• there is no way Nabeya is playing. After the tournament starts you cannot replace players. All teams had 12 players named. They were all conforming to requirements for Covid testing, etc.

Alternates were participating until a certain date. After the start of the tournament, alternates are not allowed.

They already replaced so many beach volleyball players

• If I may ask further, how does that work? I googled and saw that the US team named a list of 6 alternates (not sure if they're in Japan though, but no need for 14 day quarantine if they do fly over)

Can a country call up any player at all as an alternate? Or would they all have had to decide on a list of fixed alternate players beforehand?

Would prefer if Koga could recover and continue if it were just a less serous ankle twist/sprain though - good to know its not her knee

For team sports, each team has a set of emergency alternates only in the case of injuries not for players that get infected. But it will only be approved if it affects the team's performance to an extreme degree. IOC tightened the limits per team, they changed the rules 3 times. The last change was after several players tested positive before the opening ceremony.

• It doesnt apply for players who get infected...?? I get it if it's only for serious injuries and not minor ones, but if covid isn't included then that's the weirdest part😅

Thanks for explaining, I'm going to assume it's a fixed roster of alternate players that can't be changed after

Quite curious who the players are for other countries aside from the US

(but definitely not wishing for any injuries that will make it necessary)

• We'll have to see if Ishii can carry this team and since they also have Hayashi it could work without the need to call another player. I have high hopes for Ishii since she was the most recent ace before the transition.

Another thing I'm worried about is if Koga reverts to a psychological slump like what happened to her before. It's easy to develop anxieties during a major event. Nishida is a man, he's younger, his body heals differently, his mindset is also different to that of Koga. So even if Nishida was able to recover easily, the same cannot be said for Koga. Hoping for a fast recovery of course but at the same time rushing injuries can further do harm than good.