USA Women's NT 2021

• Article about Carlini (hopefully not geoblocked)

LOL

'We recognize you are attempting to access this website from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA) including the EU which enforces the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and therefore access cannot be granted at this time.'

• Few athletes have worn their Olympics aspirations on their sleeves like Lauren Carlini.

The dream took hold as a 9-year-old who drew a picture of herself wearing a No. 7 USA jersey.

That fanciful ambition took on a realistic glow during Carlini’s four-time All-American career at the University of Wisconsin and seemed to be on the brink of becoming reality when she helped lead the USA team to the FIVB Volleyball Nations League championship in 2019.

She seemingly had established herself as the No. 1 setter heading into an Olympic year. But COVID then caused the Tokyo Games to be postponed, and she found herself in the runup to the 2021 games in a tight competition with former Big Ten Conference rivals Jordyn Poulter (Illinois) and Micha Hancock (Penn State) for the position.

Carlini's dreams were dashed, at least for the time being, with an email informing her that she was not among the 12 players selected to go to Tokyo.

She instead was among a handful of alternates left home to watch as the U.S. team dominated much of the competition and captured its first ever Olympic gold medal.

It was the definition of bittersweet for Carlini, who experienced the personal disappointment and heartbreak while treasuring the accomplishments of her friends and teammates.

It’s a process she’s still working through.

“It has been a learning experience,” said Carlini, 26, who spent a couple days this week in Madison, going to dinner with former teammate Haleigh Nelson on Tuesday, working out with the current Badgers and going to lunch with setters Sydney Hilley, Izzy Ashburn and MJ Hammill then having dinner with coach Kelly Sheffield’s family Wednesday.

She noted a text she recently had received from a Big Ten coach reminding her that not all experiences feel good, but they all are valuable and happen for a reason.

“It also made me kind of flip my thinking and go back to what I always go back on, that every lesson is valuable,” she said. “It may not be the funnest experience in the moment, but knowing that there are things to look forward to and moving forward is the only option I have right now.

“So what can I do in order to be better and have a chance three years from now to try and make that roster and continue making history with this team. That’s kind of where I’m at.”

While it was gut-wrenching for her to not be a part of the Tokyo experience, she said she still was rooting for the U.S. with all her heart from afar.

“It was tough watching from the sidelines, but I hope that they all know and people know that I have so much pride and love for USA volleyball and especially those girls on the team,” Carlini said. “They deserved it.

“Over the past year-and-a-half, we’ve done a lot of work within our team, between zooming and going out and having meals and finding deeper ways to connect with each other. It’s one of those things where I don’t want to make this about me because they just made history and they’ve done an incredible thing for our sport. It’s not even just about them. It’s bigger than them.”

Carlini was optimistic that she would’ve been on the squad had the Tokyo Games been played in 2020. But she could tell that the competition between her, Poulter and Hancock would be tight when the team began preparations this year.

“Coming into 2021, we all had incredible club seasons overseas, so I knew that the gap had narrowed,” she said. “Did I think that I was going to be left out of the two? No.

“The solace I have right now is that I honestly can say that I did everything that I could and I don’t regret anything. I competed hard during club season, I came into the USA gym ready to compete for a spot and the cards didn’t fall my way this time. I can sleep well at night knowing that.”

Carlini’s focus now is to do everything she can to make the team for the 2024 Olympics in Paris. The challenge will be that the competition likely will be the same, as will be those who make the selections.

“I think knowing that we are going to be in a very similar position roster-wise, decision-wise, it’s going to be about connecting with people,” she said. “And it’s also having important conversations, hard conversations maybe, with the staff and saying, ‘OK, what specifically do I need to do in order to make this roster next time around?’ Of course, there are massive tournaments leading up to it, like the world championships next year, World Cup after that. So it’s about making those rosters as well.”

Next up for Carlini is a trip Wednesday to Istanbul, Turkey, where she will return to her Turkish Airlines team. It will be the first time she’s played for the same team during her pro career, which began with two seasons with different teams in Italy and one season in Russia.

She said she enjoys the pro lifestyle and plans to continue playing overseas at least through 2024.

“I know this is exactly what I’m supposed to be doing and where I’m supposed to be doing it,” she said. “I’m getting paid to travel and play overseas and experience these cultures. For me, there’s no better job. After 2024, who knows? If a league pops up domestically, I’d absolutely be down to stay and play in front of friends and family.”

And while she’d love to be able to head out with a gold medal around her neck, Carlini knows she isn’t going away empty handed.

“One of the biggest things I’ve taken out of this whole experience was just the support and the messages I’ve gotten from fans all over, Badger fans, USA fans, fans overseas,” she said. “Them feeling gut-wrenched, like I did, and knowing they were bought in with me.

“So I want to say thank you to all the fans everywhere who have reached out and voiced their support and I guess their condolences to me. It’s made me feel great just reading these and knowing how many people are behind me and in my corner. I also hope they are equally excited that USA won because this is great for our sport and growing the game. Hopefully we can bring another one home in three years.”

• She must be felt so devastated. ;(

I love how she told us what she felt and shared the learning point. It somehow relate to most of us, when the experience we got wasnt the best one but the worst one, we have to live and deal with it. She must be grown so much from this process.

Go Carlini! Hope you can make it to Paris 2024.

• I have no idea lol

but I remember someone else getting rejected via email (like 80% sure it was Logan Tom) and she wasn't happy

No, Logan got a phone call from Karch after she emailed them that shes available for training again. She was out of the NT gym for awhile rehabbing and finishing up her degree.

Fawcett got the email. Just like Carlini she elected to received the Rio roster selection via email. Along with it, she was "thanked for her service". She apparently made it known to them ahead of time that she was retiring from the NT after Rio. (Still, should probably be 2 separate emails. Lol )

• Carlini has Italian ancestry I believe so she might pass as Italian :lol:

I think if Carlini does well in World Champs and World Cup she would have better chances. Hancock would be over 30 come Paris.

I said she wouldn't be on the olympic team... but I dont think Hancock will play a big role come this next quad.

It was pretty clear Karch didnt trust her in the Olympics. He didn't even use her serve so idk

• is beach more popular than indoor in US?

Probably. In summer rec beach regularly outpaces any other sports when it comes to participation. But we have short summers here so thats probably a factor. There was also more excitement for the AVP Tour than the last two VNL here...but then again AVP aggressively promoted the Chicago Open and FIVB barely a bleep...so yeah IDK maybe? Lol

• Deeper but are they significantly better compared to Poulter and Carlini? Higher ceiling maybe? I can actually see Carlini in Paris...If she stays with it. We will probably see the same group plus 2-3 (pins) for the 24 OG.

Same here. I can actually see Carlini in Paris. Plus i am not too familiar with the younger setter propects though. And i think its not good to replace setters too frequently also.

• i think its not good to replace setters too frequently.

Oh man. Tell me about it. Japan replacing their setter every tournament for the last four years was a little excessive, imo

sorry OT, open wound