China NT 2021

• If Zheng Yixin can also play as OP then she may have chance to compete with Li Yao as the OP sub. Zheng's height hinders her as the pure MB for OG but her receiving and pass are okay. Diao Lin-yu and Lin Li need extraordinary performances to supersede Yao Di and Wang MJ respectively. Wang YY vs. Yang HY

Lang may send:

4 OH + 5 (MB+OP) + 2 S + 1 L, or

5 (OH+OP) + 4 MB + 2 S + 1 L, or

6 (OH+OP) + 3 MB + 2 S + 1 L.

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

Edited 2 times, last by samsara: addition ().

• I could never imagine that Liu Xiaotong would still be in contention for a spot in the Olympic squad.....=O

Not necessarily, Duan Fang is there and I really doubt she has a chance at the Olympics.

Liu is probably there for her experience to stabilize the team. I wouldn't be surprised if she was the captain again, although it could be ZCN or Yao Di

• Not necessarily, Duan Fang is there and I really doubt she has a chance at the Olympics.

Liu is probably there for her experience to stabilize the team. I wouldn't be surprised if she was the captain again, although it could be ZCN or Yao Di

Is Duan Fang even in the gym? lol

• I think 8 spots are already secured, so that means 4 spots are opened for contention for this VNL.

OH: Zhu, Zhang, Li

MB: Yan, Yuan

OP: Gong

S: Ding

L: Wang

Setter battle will be Yao vs Diao with Yao mostly likely secured since we have not seen any action from Diao at all. I think Diao and Lin Li are there as backups in case anything happens. So it's pretty much MBs battle and OH/OP battle for 3 spots. Players who do not see much action can be considered eliminated unless Lang Ping has some kind of secret weapon. I think it will be battle of Lius and 2 more MBs will be selected.

• Absolutely, imo WMJ is one of the world’s top liberos.... and Lin L is probably there to ‘protect’ her from injuries.

I guess that Lin Li being here is to thank you her service, her role, a respect from the team... I doubt after this cycle Lin will still be with the NT. Ni FF is for Paris, so it's okay she's absent from both VNL and Tokyo OG. The kind of Duan is destined for the VNL, Swiss Classic and Asian events. Let's watch closely how Lin and Liu XT also Liu YH performs.... Liu YH was severely criticized by fans for her appearance in test match... if some high contender makes a great slip in this tournament while lesser contender is outstanding then odds may be affected. So if Liu XT performs steadily excellent here, the door may still be open :-)

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• Diao Linyu's and Lin Li could also be there so Yao Di and Wang Mengjie don't have to play every match.

• I'm surprised Gong Xiangyu isn't there, she's usually listed when a B team roster is being sent.

I hope her missing isn't related to her bandaged elbow she had in Japan.

• There's only 13 players listed, surely there was enough room to add Wang Yizhu, Ni Feifan, and even Mei Xiaohan if they wanted. Maybe this isn't the final roster yet?

• Liu is probably there for her experience to stabilize the team. I wouldn't be surprised if she was the captain

That's her thing. Captain of the lesser adventures. I love her for that :rose:

• Diao Linyu's and Lin Li could also be there so Yao Di and Wang Mengjie don't have to play every match.

That too. Backups will also need playing time to get into shape and rhythm.

• I'm surprised Gong Xiangyu isn't there, she's usually listed when a B team roster is being sent.

I hope her missing isn't related to her bandaged elbow she had in Japan.

I was really surprised to see both Yuan and Gong with a lot of bandages. They're usually the healthiest!

I think the starters are missing because they're locked for Tokyo tbh. If she had minor injuries she'd still go but maybe play only a few matches.

• If you think that all the players attending the VNL won't be selected for the Tokyo OG... then which players will make up the 12-Olympian for the Chinese team?

I will help you in part: Zhu, Li; Yuan, Yan; Gong; Ding -- need another 6 to make up the list.

My two cents on China Olympic team :super:

This is my take at this point balancing out everything I can think of, individual performance during VNL might change my opinion.

Setter: Ding Xia, Yao Di

MB: Yuan Xinyue, Yan Ni, Wang Yuanyuan

OH: Zhu, Zhang Changning, Li Yingying, Li Yao

OP: Gong Xiangyu, Liu Yanhan

Libero: Wang Mengjie

• Does that mean langping doesn't consider Zhang Changning as starter anymore?😱

• Does that mean langping doesn't consider Zhang Changning as starter anymore?😱

When the team was training in Tokyo, some of the photos fans/reporters took showed Li Yingying playing with the rest of the starters.

So it's a possibility.