2024 Paris Olympic Games

• yep, its not hard to find someone to host from 8 teams

last cycle (2019), the groups were formed first, and THEN they basically asked who wants to host the group giving priority to the 1st seed, then the 2nd, etc.

That is more fair, but IMO in the end the same teams are probably gonna qualify to Paris anyways.

• btw, here are the 24 qualified teams (top 26 not including Russia and France)

One notable miss is Fabris Croatia after their poor showing at WCH.

Well, I noticed that from the ranking dissapeared points from the final of Challenger Cup in which Croatia won with Belgium. So I don't know. With those points Croatia will make it and Belgium will drop one place. I don't remember how many points it was - but arround 5. And then I think that they should also recalculate points for Belgium and Croatia in WCH. It is weird. crovolley you should talk to Croatian federation about this for them to investigate ahahah Or send Akbas a message.

• it will be draw from the serpentine system.

serbia-italy-brazil in 1 pot and they will be drawn into groups. they won't be placed by WR.

Any idea for the logic behind this? It is kinda random with serpentine anyways. It gives power-pairing to prevent unbalanced groups.

I also think that groups should be determined first and then hosts should be assigned as the previous edition

• The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that it's for FIVB to rig the draw.

Yeah probably, with serpentine system everything is set in stone, they can't play around with groups but with this stupid draw rule they can still tweak the team distributions in favor of host or whoever pays more to them🤦

• The group distribution would have been like following if they would have chosen the hosts after setting up the groups (most fair way)

Group A: Serbia, Japan, Turkey, Germany, Canada, Colombia, Mexico, Peru

Group B: Italy, China, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Thailand, Czech Republic, Argentina, Slovenia

Group C: Brasil, USA, Poland, Belgium, Bulgaria, Puerto Rico, Korea, Ukraine

With this Japan would get turkey as third seed, which is the toughest one. But with draw they can get easier opponents 🤦 Alternatively both turkey and Japan wanted to host. That's why they didn't want to announce the hosts after seeding the teams according to serpentine

• I like this group! Let's do it this way!

• I like this group! Let's do it this way!

Seriously? This would be the hardest group of 3 indeed. I would never want to be in the same group with DOM and THA. Also Netherlands could pose a threat in case their retired players would all of a sudden be back to NT (why not if Selinger would quit?)

• Seriously? This would be the hardest group of 3 indeed. I would never want to be in the same group with DOM and THA. Also Netherlands could pose a threat in case their retired players would all of a sudden be back to NT (why not if Selinger would quit?)

I'd prefer to face DR over either Poland or Turkey, and I think Italy is more beatable than either Serbia or Brazil.

besides, the other two teams in China's "pot", Japan and USA, have to deal with worse...

• Group A: Serbia, Japan, Turkey, Germany, Canada, Colombia, Mexico, Peru

Group B: Italy, China, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Thailand, Czech Republic, Argentina, Slovenia

Group C: Brasil, USA, Poland, Belgium, Bulgaria, Puerto Rico, Korea, Ukraine

Group A has 3 Wch QFists/1 SFist/1F - 3 Olympic teams/1 medalist
    Group B has 2 Wch Qfists/1 SFist /0F- 4 Olympic teams
    Group C has 3 Wch Qfists/2 SFists/1F - 3 Olympic teams/2 Finalists

So acording to this Group C seems to be the toughest followed by Group A. But overall of course this doesn't mean much, I think these groups are fairly balanced but Group B seems to have the lowest ceiling.

• Well, I noticed that from the ranking dissapeared points from the final of Challenger Cup in which Croatia won with Belgium. So I don't know. With those points Croatia will make it and Belgium will drop one place. I don't remember how many points it was - but arround 5. And then I think that they should also recalculate points for Belgium and Croatia in WCH. It is weird. crovolley you should talk to Croatian federation about this for them to investigate ahahah Or send Akbas a message.

Yes, what's up with that

• Group A has 3 Wch QFists/1 SFist/1F - 3 Olympic teams/1 medalist
    Group B has 2 Wch Qfists/1 SFist /0F- 4 Olympic teams
    Group C has 3 Wch Qfists/2 SFists/1F - 3 Olympic teams/2 Finalists

So acording to this Group C seems to be the toughest followed by Group A. But overall of course this doesn't mean much, I think these groups are fairly balanced but Group B seems to have the lowest ceiling.

But we all know china with a healthy Zhu is a totally different team. In the past Thailand and Dominic republic always made some surprises in such critical tournaments.

At the end groups are kinds balanced, not huge differences. However, these won't be the groups anyways since FIVB came up with this great idea of drawing teams🤦

• Is that what they are going to keep on doing it in the future or is it just a one-time thing?

• Japan hosting? Their contract was in perpetuity, so I assume it's not a one-time thing.

No, I meant pretending that Olympic qualification tournament is a World Cup.

• No, I meant pretending that Olympic qualification tournament is a World Cup.

I'm guessing that too will remain forever, since there is no reason to pretend the Japan leg of the OQT is a World Cup either.

• Is Russia 100% confirmed to be out?

• Is Russia 100% confirmed to be out?

nope, ı don't think so.

I think even if Russia cannot play in the Olympic qualifications next summer, they will go to the Olympics thanks to their good position in the world rankings ofc if the war ends before 2024.