2024 Paris Olympic Games

• which is why Olympics are dumb and world champs should be considered a greater achievement. (I’ll still say this even if we win Paris)

nah, world championships you don't even face half the teams until the final match. World Cup should be a considered a greater achievement, because there is no avoiding any teams.

• nah, world championships you don't even face half the teams until the final match. World Cup should be a considered a greater achievement, because there is no avoiding any teams.

well I’m just comparing wcs vs Olympics

• No way it’s host+11 in group, LOL, what is this?
    I mean it could be beneficial to be in that group for sure also in terms of how them knock-out stage will go. I suppose, since we don’t have clear group crossing due to odd number of groups, that teams will be ranked 1-8 based on points and set ratio and then play standard 1-8, 2-7, 3-6 and so on..

Looked at this a bit more, it is truly f*cked.

If the rankings don't change after VNL 2024, we would have these groups:

Pool A: France, Italy, China, Kenya

Pool B: Turkey, Serbia, Poland, Netherlands

Pool C: USA, Brazil, Dominican Republic, Japan

I don't know anybody who can guarantee to make it out of Pool B/C compared to Pool A.

edit: Maybe Turkey and Serbia, in my mind I thought Dominican and Poland were swapped.

• The only thing that could happen now is that the FIVB finds a way to qualify Korea for the Olympics...

They could come up with something like that, to enhance and help the "minor" teams grow, the last classified of the phase groups of the VNL 2024 obtain the Olympic pass...

Seems legit to me...

:whistle:8)

• If China will continue as in OQ feel free to take group B spot :wavy:

• Hopefully the groups will be drawn based on seedings and not fixed using serpentine as this mean that the teams who didn’t manage to qualify are getting free pass to OG quarterfinals.

By the way, why did they change the old system? It was much better and much more fair. Right now in 80% the groups roster will determine the outcome.

• So to close off the NT season for the women's teams, I wanted to have a look at how teams changed over this summer. Unfortunately I didn't have the ranking points from before, just the seeds from the OQT draw in March. Over the whole summer, the biggest improvements would be for Türkiye, France (both +6 positions), Argentina and Ukraine (+5). Poland and Canada also did well with +3. USA, NL, THA (+2), DOM, GER, PR and Slovenia (+1) also improved their position :super:

The biggest downfalls are for Korea (-17), Peru (-12) and Mexico (-8). Bulgaria's rebuilding but lost 4 positions. COL, JPN, BEL, ITA and SRB lost 3 while China lost 1 position. Brazil and Czech Republic seem the most stable teams from this summer as they are currently ranked the same as before summer :flower:

For the OQT, the big winners when it comes to ranking points are the Dominicans (+22,5), Puerto Rico (+22,18) and Canada (+18,71). The most points were lost by Mexico (-21,89), Peru (-19,40) and quite surprisingly, Belgium (-17,76) :white:

• Hopefully the groups will be drawn based on seedings and not fixed using serpentine as this mean that the teams who didn’t manage to qualify are getting free pass to OG quarterfinals.

By the way, why did they change the old system? It was much better and much more fair. Right now in 80% the groups roster will determine the outcome.

Pools were always serpentine seeded. Host was in Pool A, #1 & #2 in Pool B, etc.

The reason for the change is that more groups mean fewer matches in Pool Play, and shorter days for the staff.

• The only thing that could happen now is that the FIVB finds a way to qualify Korea for the Olympics...

They could come up with something like that, to enhance and help the "minor" teams grow, the last classified of the phase groups of the VNL 2024 obtain the Olympic pass...

Seems legit to me...

They did it so many years with a berth to the asian team not qualified in oqt it was cleared directed to japan

Seems legit to me...

I remember Korea got Wild Card to World Grand Champions Cup 2005 where were 6 Teams and 3 from Asia... to promote volleyball in Korea.

Probably that was 1st international senior competition for Kim.

• So to close off the NT season for the women's teams, I wanted to have a look at how teams changed over this summer. Unfortunately I didn't have the ranking points from before, just the seeds from the OQT draw in March. Over the whole summer, the biggest improvements would be for Türkiye, France (both +6 positions), Argentina and Ukraine (+5). Poland and Canada also did well with +3. USA, NL, THA (+2), DOM, GER, PR and Slovenia (+1) also improved their position :super:

The biggest downfalls are for Korea (-17), Peru (-12) and Mexico (-8). Bulgaria's rebuilding but lost 4 positions. COL, JPN, BEL, ITA and SRB lost 3 while China lost 1 position. Brazil and Czech Republic seem the most stable teams from this summer as they are currently ranked the same as before summer :flower:

For the OQT, the big winners when it comes to ranking points are the Dominicans (+22,5), Puerto Rico (+22,18) and Canada (+18,71). The most points were lost by Mexico (-21,89), Peru (-19,40) and quite surprisingly, Belgium (-17,76) :white:

But history is there. https://en.volleyballworld.com…yball/world-ranking/women

Click "More details" for any team. For example for Türkiye:

The first match in 2023:

May 31, 2023KOR149.12299.14TUR0 - 3+2.85

And the the latest rating is: 397.46 so it means +98.32 in 2023.

• Thanks! :heart: I checked the ranking on my phone so I couldn't find more details. Gonna add them now, and also for the Men's competition (even though I'm not as familiar with those teams as with women, but still interesting to see)

• Pools were always serpentine seeded. Host was in Pool A, #1 & #2 in Pool B, etc.

The reason for the change is that more groups mean fewer matches in Pool Play, and shorter days for the staff.

yes, but for this years events FIVB stopped using serpentine and they did the draw - for example for OG qualifiactions. So it might mean they will follow for next year but who knows.

• yes, but for this years events FIVB stopped using serpentine and they did the draw - for example for OG qualifiactions. So it might mean they will follow for next year but who knows.

they were podded, but still using the rankings to pod them.

I mean they do this the podding for the World championships first rounds in the past.