CEV Champions League 2023

• If you add Tijana Boskovic to this photo you would still have the same number of gold medals.

what a stupid unnecessary post. It’s so easy to play this game too of who hasn’t won what. Just wait till national team season starts.

• 1. If you couldn’t tell Boskovic is clearly injured then you’re just either lying to yourself because you don’t like her or don’t watch her play. She had like half of her jump and she has not been hitting the ball nearly as hard. Could she still have played better ? Absolutely. There were a couple of chances she had that she barely missed wide and that is not all on the injury.

2. Credit to Hande who stepped up in a big way. Even Simge wasn’t bad. Voronkova had a solid game. Honestly, I don’t think Maja was terrible but certainly not great besides the first set.

3. I don’t get why some people try and drag Boskovic for staying in ecza because she doesn’t win anything there when those same people don’t even want her to win anything so I’m not sure why they care ?

4. Egonu was great. It was so annoying that she’s been mediocre for weeks but then absolutely went off and looked unstoppable.

• Could she still have played better ? Absolutely. There were a couple of chances she had that she barely missed wide and that is not all on the injury.

Clearly or she should have been subbed, this is the point many make. Of course Tica is a great, but I don't find it fair how judging players like Irina, Hande, Jack etc. is acceptable to the point we all read them to filth without anyone batting an eye, but the star player is untouchable. It's even for Turkish fans, every Ecz match I saw everyone hating on everyone but Tijana, which ok she isn't the main issue of the team indeed but when like yesterday it was Egonu vs Boskovic essentially, it is obvious who holds the responsibility.

Vargas looked like she was going to pass out in Turkish league finals yet she came through enough for her team to beat Tijana and Eczacibasi. It is what it is.

Which btw, whoever called her cupless should take a seat now :D

• The sad truth about the women's final is that most of the italian fans were there just for Egonu. Without her, it would be even worse.

The majority of fans still seemed Turkish fans tbh, I'm guessing mostly German and French Turks. The rest were indeed Egonu fans.

• The sad truth about the women's final is that most of the italian fans were there just for Egonu. Without her, it would be even worse.

I agree, CEV should consider countries like Turkey or Poland for hosting honestly.. Turkish fans were there to watch Serbia v USA in VNL, and Polish hall was full for Serbia v USA semifinals in WCH.

Just an example to show they dont care that much about who plays realy

Even Serbia broke the record for most people attendance for ECH 21, >20k or something (yes Serbia played in finals, but even if it didnt there would be a lot of people still)

Turin seems like strange choise, they dont even have major volleyball club. Milano or Florence (maybe) would seem like more logical options

Even for mens finals it was mostly Polish fans I think

• So it's strange that in a final that includes two matches, one between Turkish teams and one between Polish teams, the majority of those present were Turkish or Polish: now that you mention it, it's incredible, I'm baffled...

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Seriously...

The venue was sold out...

The crowd missing for the women's final was not the Italian one, but the thousands of Poles who didn't give a damn about the women's match and who entered after...

It's the formula that doesn't work...

Two matches on the same day with a single ticket, and the second is much more popular: it is obvious that the first is at a disadvantage for the public...

• Not many people talk about it but Cansu She did a really good job❤

Ferhat showed once again that he has no balls, he plays injured Tijana in the match and will not let Fabris on the pitch🤦‍♂️ Anyway congrats to Vakıfbank,they really deserved it:cup:

Btw. I'm glad that Egonu finally played a great match, she needed it very much🥰

• 1. If you couldn’t tell Boskovic is clearly injured then you’re just either lying to yourself because you don’t like her or don’t watch her play. She had like half of her jump and she has not been hitting the ball nearly as hard. Could she still have played better ? Absolutely. There were a couple of chances she had that she barely missed wide and that is not all on the injury.

2. Credit to Hande who stepped up in a big way. Even Simge wasn’t bad. Voronkova had a solid game. Honestly, I don’t think Maja was terrible but certainly not great besides the first set.

3. I don’t get why some people try and drag Boskovic for staying in ecza because she doesn’t win anything there when those same people don’t even want her to win anything so I’m not sure why they care ?

4. Egonu was great. It was so annoying that she’s been mediocre for weeks but then absolutely went off and looked unstoppable.

players get dragged. You know this, well.

• Some observations on the organisation. Twitter translation would work I believe

• The venue was sold out...

The crowd missing for the women's final was not the Italian one, but the thousands of Poles who didn't give a damn about the women's match and who entered after...

It's the formula that doesn't work...

Two matches on the same day with a single ticket, and the second is much more popular: it is obvious that the first is at a disadvantage for the public...

That’s what I’m talking about when I say different fan bases almost different sports. Make the super finals separately! At Different times

• The previous system did not work but this one also does not work. It is not like this is OG where you need a lot of construction etc. One of the semi finalists can be the host, hotels and logistics can be arranged in a few weeks, and it would be fair. CEV really needs to put volleyball first, not their financial expectations. We all know how greedy and corrupt they are. It is not like yesterday was a major, jaw-dropping organization. I also remember the days when 3rd place was a major achievement and teams still fought hard, even after being defeated the previous day. In the last years, 3rd place matches were just boring because it doesn’t mean anything anymore. They don’t even give the champion a spot in the next editon. They have to make it more appealing. I am sorry but having those weak teams in the name of diversity is just stupid. There are a lot of one sided games in the group stage and those are not off putting for us but for teams as well. They have been including some teams/countries for years, yet we haven’t had a new team that invest in volleyball for years. Quality over quantity.

• The previous system did not work but this one also does not work. It is not like this is OG where you need a lot of construction etc. One of the semi finalists can be the host, hotels and logistics can be arranged in a few weeks, and it would be fair. CEV really needs to put volleyball first, not their financial expectations. We all know how greedy and corrupt they are. It is not like yesterday was a major, jaw-dropping organization. I also remember the days when 3rd place was a major achievement and teams still fought hard, even after being defeated the previous day. In the last years, 3rd place matches were just boring because it doesn’t mean anything anymore. They don’t even give the champion a spot in the next editon. They have to make it more appealing. I am sorry but having those weak teams in the name of diversity is just stupid. There are a lot of one sided games in the group stage and those are not off putting for us but for teams as well. They have been including some teams/countries for years, yet we haven’t had a new team that invest in volleyball for years. Quality over quantity.

Yea the diversity does nothing in this case, it's like expecting a tennis player ranked 2000 in the world to improve because they played Nadal for 1-2 matches where he is semi-trolling them.

• "Weak teams in the name of diversity"

i agree on this on principle.

BUT...

Maintaining a few strong teams only will surely not promote growth for this sport as well. FIVB is sending subsidized equipment and coaches to underperforming countries in an effort to promote this sport and I think barring them from joining strong leagues just because they make boring matches is detrimental to the sport. There's no growth if we just concentrate on the big teams.

I did notice that the 3rd place is practically forgetable for CEV. It made the tournament even "smaller" in a way.

• i agree on this on principle.

BUT...

Maintaining a few strong teams only will surely not promote growth for this sport as well. FIVB is sending subsidized equipment and coaches to underperforming countries in an effort to promote this sport and I think barring them from joining strong leagues just because they make boring matches is detrimental to the sport. There's no growth if we just concentrate on the big teams.

I did notice that the 3rd place is practically forgetable for CEV. It made the tournament even "smaller" in a way.

it's not about just focusing on the strong teams. The formats just suck.

CL, the highest level doesn't need those teams without potential only for the sake of diversity. CEV even has 2 other competitions for the sake of diversity! I think for CL an Euroleague like format makes more sense or even a system like our very own Volleyball Club WCh.

Than CEV cup needs to get a secondary status that might promote or give chances to CL/highest division. We can merge Challenge Cup and Cev Cup or we could even make Challenge Cup its own league for secondary European teams among each other kinda like European League in NTs.

It's just that now we have top seeded teams in the world trolling semi-amateur teams and that does nothing for the sport. The proof is in the years of nothing happening.

Yeah, just increase number of spots for top leagues and suddenly the average level of competition will increase. Don't pretend that we have any parity in club volleyball if 7th/8th-best Italian team is much better than some CL-participants, the same for couple of Turkish teams that would definitely increase a level of competition.

Then, delete Challenge Cup and make it two-level competition, so increased number of participants in CL wouldn't decrease the level of lower cups.

Like I said to serdar - I don't like Final Four formula from the past, but Final Four without semi's spot guaranteed would be great.

It's kind of irritating that it would be so easy to make this competition much better. And i'm not even that critical of CEV in this sense that there are obstacles for volleyball as a sport on club level very difficult to jump over, and people think this is on CEV, what's a bit unfair. Yet, current formula is maintained because CEV gets more money from paying fees etc. and not because this is the best for the fans or clubs.