Italy - Superlega 2022/23

• He wasn't.....

you know how much I criticize Porro, but he played a really good game, outplaying Giannelli for the second time in a row. He has to fix that ball to the opp, surely.

• you know how much I criticize Porro, but he played a really good game, outplaying Giannelli for the second time in a row. He has to fix that ball to the opp, surely.

Tactically a good game yes, technically a good game no.

Some of his sets to both wings were horrific, especially in set 3&4 IMO

• I'm not a big fan of him neither.. and I agree with you, he wasn't always precise.

But he was "into" the match, helping in defense and in block cover: when the ball was difficult, Milano's spikers played smartly to create another opportunity and Porro delivered well in those long rallies.

The game was tense and he kept his nerves together.

• I'm not a big fan of him neither.. and I agree with you, he wasn't always precise.

But he was "into" the match, helping in defense and in block cover: when the ball was difficult, Milano's spikers played smartly to create another opportunity and Porro delivered well in those long rallies.

The game was tense and he kept his nerves together.

Yeah, and he played throughout the series without an opposite (well, throughout the season to be honest), it's a bit complicating things for a setter.

But I'm not into another defense of Porro, he's 21yo and he plays as a starter for top4 Italian teams, so it speaks for itself - I'll just say that first and foremost, his service runs were incredible in last two games, if there were per rotation stats available, he would have incredible efficiency today (I'd say 75% of his serves ended with negative reception for Perugia), in game 4 - Milano made crucial break points with him as a server as well. By far the best serving setter in the league, even better than Brizard by significant margin (Brizard has 0.21 aces/set and 3.38 serves/set, Porro has 0.35 aces/set and 3.89 serves/set). Crazy stuff for 183cm-tall setter.

• Yeah, and he played throughout the series without an opposite (well, throughout the season to be honest), it's a bit complicating things for a setter.

But I'm not into another defense of Porro, he's 21yo and he plays as a starter for top4 Italian teams, so it speaks for itself - I'll just say that first and foremost, his service runs were incredible in last two games, if there were per rotation stats available, he would have incredible efficiency today (I'd say 75% of his serves ended with negative reception for Perugia), in game 4 - Milano made crucial break points with him as a server as well. By far the best serving setter in the league, even better than Brizard by significant margin (Brizard has 0.21 aces/set and 3.38 serves/set, Porro has 0.35 aces/set and 3.89 serves/set). Crazy stuff for 183cm-tall setter.

As some chinese said on live stream - a male version of Micha Hancock (doing everything great except setting) :lol:

• As some chinese said on live stream - a male version of Micha Hancock (doing everything great except setting) :lol:

The difference is he's 21. He's not top yet, but already a very good player.

And VBdiamond is right, the depth of Italy among setters is by far better than in female vball, and better in other countries. Besides Giannelli, Sbertoli and Porro, they have group of decent teenage prospects with Boninfante, Mancini or Porro III.

• Yeah, and he played throughout the series without an opposite (well, throughout the season to be honest), it's a bit complicating things for a setter.

Porro’s serve in game 4 and 5 is the real reason why we won the series, incredibly reliable.

• Porro’s serve in game 4 and 5 is the real reason why we won the series, incredibly reliable.

He also attacked the ball againts Sole. Porro indeed is reliable on those matches, especially on the long rallies.

The 3 OH of Milano also shared the load and the coach knew when to tactically sub them.

• Porro’s defense was pretty on point as well, in fact the whole team made incredible defenses that made my jaw drop. As it is said, he is young and hopefully will improve his setting.

As for Sbertoli, I think this is his ceiling and that’s not good. It is good thay they have new talents coming up.

• Porro did everything well except his sets to both wings in the last match. His serves were excellent, defense was great, his mindset and sets to the middles were very good as well. However nearly half of his sets to both wings were unhittable, countless times Mergarejo and Ishikawa had to tip or roll the balls due to those tight or low sets to pos 4. Just Ishikawa was more skillful that he managed to force some of those poor sets to points by making use of opponent’s blocks.

I wouldn’t take his success and credits he deserves away, as his performances overall in this series was definitely one of the keys that brought the breakthrough of Milano, especially considering his age and all those great names across the net. But his settings in the last match alone couldn’t be considered as “outstanding”. If a setter set half of the sets to the wings were unhittable is still outstanding, then Orro is also an outstanding setter:lol:

• Dream Team lost everything.

Hmm.. will Perugia play in Champions League next season?

I tried to find last point of the match but I can't.

Help :sos:

• Starting from next season, the regular season will be boring cuz strong teams will save the energy for playoff. As long as the rank is higher than No #8 after regular season, you don't need to work hard to rank higher. It makes no sense. Perugia already showed us a bloody example. LOL

1. Italian league was the only one giving CL spot to the regular season (RS) winner. Based on your logic, all the RS in other leagues are boring.

2. If there is only round robin of 4-6 teams in a group stage, it's not difficult manage a intermediate ranking to enter the next stage. But it's 12 teams playing 132 matches for 22 match days. It's difficult to predict and control the match results. The ranking is not just based on your performance, it's also based other teams' performance.

3. The rules were implemented in this season. Every team was still fighting for winning of each matches. It's professional sports.

4. Peruiga lost to Milan due to it's own problems. They had enough time to train, to try out, and to make the team in shape since they secured RS winner on 22nd January. But in the end, they did nothing. They are the only one to blame, not the rules.

• No. The rule has changed. The allocation of the European cup spots is purely based on playoff results.

Winner, runner up, and 3rd place (a newly created series between the loser of the semi-finals) will get the CL spots. 4th place will get CEV cup spot.

The 4 losing teams of the quater-finals and the winner of the preliminary round between 9-11th teams will fight for the 5th place which will get the challenage cup spot.

• No. The rule has changed. The allocation of the European cup spots is purely based on playoff results.

Winner, runner up, and 3rd place (a newly created series between the loser of the semi-finals) will get the CL spots. 4th place will get CEV cup spot.

The 4 losing teams of the quater-finals and the winner of the preliminary round between 9-11th teams will fight for the 5th place which will get the challenage cup spot.

Sorry for being off-topic. Is this new rule only for the men’s league or applied to the women’s league as well?

• Sorry for being off-topic. Is this new rule only for the men’s league or applied to the women’s league as well?

Only for the men's Italian A1 league, which was set last year before the new season started.

The allocation rules for the women's league have only changed a little. They also created 5th place play-off for the challenage cup spot. The rules for CL and CEV cup spot are the same. But this will cause a new situation. If a team ranked 5-8 in RS advanced into the semi-final but not the final, they don't get any spot for european competition.