Comparison of Strength of European Leagues 2023

• Its boring volleyball day, tomorrow will be even worse so maybe is perfect time to make alive some old topic. Let see what changed in last 5 years.

This is my list, be aware that is just my personal opinion and i would love to hear opinion from every single member here. Some of you are probably better with words than me, some of you watch one league more than other... so lets see current state of european volleyball.

Level 1: Turkiye, Italy, Russia

Level 2: Poland, Germany, Romania

Level 3: France, Serbia, Greece, Hungary

Ok lets start. Italy and Turkiye are at the top and its hard to say with league is better. But they will stay at the top for sure.

Romanian league is on the rise, and its matter of time when bigger names will start arriving in top5 teams. And they will have bigger budgets eventually. They can try to enter top4 leagues, they cannot beat Russia, because Russia have a huge base of russian players and just money will not help them go over Russian league. But they will challenge Poland league in future.

German league is there in top6, and they will stay there for now. But they are very close with Romania and not too much behind Poland.

Level 3 is hard to say, all 4 leagues are almost same level. We can argue which league is most watched, which leagues is better organized, which league have better salaries but in general top clubs from each leagues would play equal matches. Differences are very small.

• Overall I agree, though I would put France in Level 2 and also Greece not on the same level as Serbia because Greece has many more high level foreigners, even though Serbia surely has better local players. As for Russia, I don't think they can be in the same category as Turkey and Italy these days anymore.

• Overall I agree, though I would put France in Level 2 and also Greece not on the same level as Serbia because Greece has many more high level foreigners, even though Serbia surely has better local players. As for Russia, I don't think they can be in the same category as Turkey and Italy these days anymore.

My angle to serbia/greece. Ub beaten Olympiakos last year pretty easily in both games. You need to have really good foreigners to beat serbian youngsters, not just any foreigners.

Here is the list of teams that eliminated serbian teams in CEV in last 4 years: Conegliano, Chemik Police, Eczacibasi, Scandicci, Monza, Palmberg Schwerin(match up was pretty close), La laguna(they beat 5th team in league), Rapid Bucurest(this season), Vakif/Novara probably this season.

About Russia, i agree. They are closer to fight for 4th spot and not to enter top2.

• russia is close to be in top 2

The new russian coming are ggood but they are going abroad and also the foreigners coming are so average

• imho the turkish league is better than the italian at the moment. Really close level, but the turkish has the edge.

• I think there is only one big team in İtaly, İmoco. they win no matter what. The quality of the top teams in the Turkish league is higher. The games between top teams are more unpredictable. vakıfbank usually win the league but they lost some games.

On the other hand, italian league have stronger mid level teams. quality of games between italian mid-level teams are better.

• CEV needs to create 'Losers Cup'. I would really like to see the game between Pinerolo and Ilbank :D

• CEV needs to create 'Losers Cup'. I would really like to see the game between Pinerolo and Ilbank :D

I don't know if the world is ready for a match like this :lol:

CEV would also have those games paywalled :lol:

• The level of french players are increasing ever year thanks to the youngsters they raised inlast years youth and junior championships. Although not having a flagship club like Cannes hurts their chances in CL, I think it helped league to grow since more teams can dare to invest more knowing that they could have a fair chance to win.

Also many interesting American players start their professional journey in french league and climb their way up.

Considering last couple of season I would say

french league should be in tier 2 with polish and German league.

• The level of french players are increasing ever year thanks to the youngsters they raised inlast years youth and junior championships. Although not having a flagship club like Cannes hurts their chances in CL, I think it helped league to grow since more teams can dare to invest more knowing that they could have a fair chance to win.

Also many interesting American players start their professional journey in french league and climb their way up.

Considering last couple of season I would say

french league should be in tier 2 with polish and German league.

Yeah it rises but they should take more protagonism in europe in cl,cev ou challenge cup where germans or romanians always are aiming for gold

• Yeah it rises but they should take more protagonism in europe in cl,cev ou challenge cup where germans or romanians always are aiming for gold

No idea what you just said🙄

• No idea what you just said🙄

French league teams are beaten by some teams from weaker leagues this season.

Volero lost to Prometey, Panathanaikos beaten Nant and 3rd was eliminated by Liberec.

This is one of the reason why i put them in level 3, i watched and head-head and french teams are not good in that department as Developress, Chemik, Stuttgart, Potsdam.

• I think there is only one big team in İtaly, İmoco. they win no matter what. The quality of the top teams in the Turkish league is higher. The games between top teams are more unpredictable. vakıfbank usually win the league but they lost some games.

On the other hand, italian league have stronger mid level teams. quality of games between italian mid-level teams are better.

😃 one big COACH in Italian league. Regardless of players, Santarelli gets best performances from his team members.