Japan Women's NT 2023

• I know that the games vs BRA and TUR would be hard to win but I think JPN can definitely upset their way safely to the Olympics. JPN performance is probably their best since 2022 World Championships and they were already forcing BRA (who is in a rut now) into a decider in the Semis. On the other hand, TUR is a different beast.

These next two are going to be a different beast. BRA struggling, but as you pointed out earlier BRA can be a thorn for Japan because of their MB game

What I'm liking about this Japan: ... they may start kinda weak (don't like that part) but are able to steady the ship and pull forward. They often used to deflate when they got behind. If things were tough there was little hope for them. Now, it's less worrisome

• True but what's nice is that BRA vs JPN(at this level) is very competitive - as seen in 2022 World Championships(1-1, with a 5 set loss in the semis). They could win if they pull their A game. A decisive service game would be crucial to really win. BRA seems to be not having the best time both defensively and offensively at the moment.

On other topics, the current state of the qualies for Pool A and C can still be catastrophic for JPN's chances if the lower ranked teams gets in. With USA(1), BRA(2), (the African team 3), FRA(4) pretty much assured of a spot - the combination of NED-DOM(still an open book, 5-6) and POL-GER(unlikely but very possible, 7-8) to qualify and assumed BRA-TUR(9) a Pool B Qualification(possible). It will only leave two spots remaining - one possibly falling under the Asian Qualification quota - China or JPN (10) and the next top team- possibly ITA(11), and SRB(12). ITS almost a death spell for their chances. Its highly unlikely BUT an interesting conjecture.

• SRB(3), NED(9), DOM(10), CHN(6)
    • Pool B: JPN(7), TUR(1), BRA(5)
    • Pool C: ITA(4), USA(2), POL(8), GER(12)

Their best chance is both USA-BRA-CHN or all top ten First Six Qualification gets in. Leaving five slots open. Assuring their slot almost:6 from the qualies, FRA, AFR team, the next top four team (likely SRB and/or ITA (if they are not yet in), Top > 7 which they tend to be ranked.

• Would have been better if Japan could have closed it out while TUR was still wobbly instead of letting them gain any momentum

Japan's executing well, so that's cool

• This commentator is making me nuts :wall:

• Hope Japan doesn't just fold up. This'll be a nice test to see if my "don't deflate" theory has any meat

I almost want to stop watching now . Enjoy the good times we had :)

• Watanabe is just plain awful

Too harsh. No she's not

• JPN's players ebbs and flows in level everytime. I think the best thing about the current situation is that Manabe responds rather quickly (in general) and cultivated a great group of starters and bench players - something that the 2021 team failed to have.

• I smell meat

• Tragic foot fault :(

• With a different commentator, Japan could easily win this