Italy - Serie A1 2023/24

• Scandicci really easily could be up 2-0 in this series ugh

• Parocchiale dug the grave for Scandicci. Fahr and Plummer (and Gennari) came through in set 5 to bring Conegliano to the win.

Without seeing any stats, main takeaways for me:

parocchiale is a disaster. Not a surprise she isn’t in the VNL long list… where is she even going next season with Castillo coming to Scandicci? Antropova stole the show. Her OOS kills and defense in this match probably has Egonu trembling in her CrazyFlights. Maja made very good decisions and for the most part, distributed the ball well. Herbots is so reliable on reception and attack, love her energy.

Conegliano obviously was not playing at their usual level. They let Scandicci keep the pressure on them. The pins couldn’t score. So many easy roll balls and missed connections. Haak and Krob were equally disappointing - it’s clear that they both cannot have bad days on the same day. They just were not able to score as easily they usually score. Fortunately, in set 5, Plummer remembered she was 2m and decided to attack aggressively and decisively. Lubian had a good first two sets but Herbots started to read her slide like a book. Fahr was okay but not what we are usually seeing from her. Even MDG was not as stabile as what we expect. Gennari and Bardaro made major impacts and if only minor, supporting characters, they really contributed to the Conegliano win.

• I hope Barbolini can use the back up more wisely in next match. Just forget the useless double sub, directly sub Di Lulio in for Maja sometimes to give Maja some rest, otherwise even a pair of roller skates can’t save her. Not using Diop as serving sub in the whole match was the most stupid decision.

Having Armini wearing libero jersey literally left no backrow sub for Zhu, and still Armini didn’t have a single minute on court replacing Parrocchiale to receive when the latter passed like that was just unexplainable.

• otherwise even a pair of roller skates can’t save her.

LOL! Poor Maja… she won’t need roller skates if Parocchiale wasn’t such a nightmare.

• De Gennaro as MVP is such a recognition. This was not at all her best match, she was below her standards and the performances we are used to get from her, but at the end, she was one of the most regular players of Conegliano during the match. Sometimes I was surprised (in a negative way), by her reception, but then I remember libero isnt only that skill: but organise the defense. And she was doing that when Gennari and Bardaro came in, as well as organising the block. It is like having an almost 2nd coach in the field (and Daniele trust him, ofc). Not many liberos can do this (sure it comes with experience). Flashy defenses arent all.

• De Gennaro as MVP is such a recognition. This was not at all her best match, she was below her standards and the performances we are used to get from her, but at the end, she was one of the most regular players of Conegliano during the match. Sometimes I was surprised (in a negative way), by her reception, but then I remember libero isnt only that skill: but organise the defense. And she was doing that when Gennari and Bardaro came in, as well as organising the block. It is like having an almost 2nd coach in the field (and Daniele trust him, ofc). Not many liberos can do this (sure it comes with experience). Flashy defenses arent arent all.

I think that the reason that she got MVP was her defense. Was probably her best match in defense of the season.