Korean Women's NT 2023

• Maybe they should hire Kim Hochul as Korean NT coach...at least he will demand more fight from his players than coach cesar who can only say wake up lol

In the second video (reporter with ex-Olympian Bronze Medallist Jo Hyejung) they did propose choosing the League Championship Coach to be the NT coach.

Since a domestic coach would have time to spend with the NT right after league concludes and would know the players well too.

Kim Hochul said he is one of the coaches who approves of having a foreign coach for NT so that Korea would catch up with the international standards for volleyball, but he didn't agree with the Federation freely allowing Cesar to join the NT so late only after his club fully concluded, he also doesn't think Cesar is a good choice considering he was only an assistant coach and not a head coach.

The team they built around Cesar were also completely unexperienced - Han Yumi & KYK

• This is a video which had gained some traction as of late by a veteran sports news reporter and IBK Coach Kim Hochul, daring to speak out and criticize the Korea Federation for allowing head coach Cesar to put more focus on his club over the national team, for recruiting Han Yumi as coach though she has zero past experience, and also KYK as advisor due to her stardom.

I kinda get his point, but I'm not really that endeared with Kim Hochul. I don't think it's fair to criticize Cesar for being in a club while also coaching the Korean NT when Lavarini also did the same (there's even an article regarding this). So for me, of all the faults of Cesar (communication or strategy), it can't really be blamed for his "two roles".

He also mentioned how if the Federation plans on rebuilding, they should set an achievable target & goal rather than focusing on the now (Paris Olympics) and not have any plan in place.

This should definitely be the focus. Unfortunately, most of the prospective players are still in their early twenties, and those that should be taking the helm as veterans (Park Jeong Ah, Kang Sowhi, Pyo Seung Ju, and Yeum Hye Seon) are underperforming. They need to look at the future as a whole and not just for one goal. Paris Olympics is definitely out of the question based on everyone's performance.

• I kinda get his point, but I'm not really that endeared with Kim Hochul. I don't think it's fair to criticize Cesar for being in a club while also coaching the Korean NT when Lavarini also did the same (there's even an article regarding this). So for me, of all the faults of Cesar (communication or strategy), it can't really be blamed for his "two roles".

I think the idea is that not only did they hire a head coach with such limitations, there isn't a capable team of coaches built around him.

Previously they had coach Kang Sunghyung (current Hillstate coach) and a team working together with Lavarini to coach the team when he was still with his club.

This time round it is instead Han Yumi (with zero coaching experience) and KYK as advisor (also zero coaching experience) coaching the team while Cesar is away. Kim Hochul implied that other coaches like himself similarly found it a problem that the Federation made such choices instead of selecting from amongst the pool of many other capable domestic coaches - who would even be better than an assistant coach like Cesar.

This should definitely be the focus. Unfortunately, most of the prospective players are still in their early twenties, and those that should be taking the helm as veterans (Park Jeong Ah, Kang Sowhi, Pyo Seung Ju, and Yeum Hye Seon) are underperforming. They need to look at the future as a whole and not just for one goal. Paris Olympics is definitely out of the question based on everyone's performance.

The current generation will need to be forgone to rebuild the team from youth, they need to accept that they will lose now in exchange for improving in the future. Except they are still losing now, while also only focusing on the now with zero plans for the future generation.

They did bring up LJY and LDY to carry on the baton for this generation but we all know that's pretty much a lost cause unless the Federation is bold enough to push through with it. So many male players who committed actual crimes or broke the law are already back in the league & NT as well.

• Sharing here an article from Naver regarding the operating expense for the VNL, with one of the legs held at Suwon. It seems Korea spent 1.2 billion won to host this leg plus additional 130 million won (est. 1 million USD total). Really puts into perspective that this VNL is not a good investment for the KVA (maybe not even willingly), given the declining performance of the Korean NT and the increasing costs of support, with Volleyball World even taking in exclusive broadcasting rights for VNL internationally.

There seems to be some backlash as well with other participating countries, not abiding by Volleyball World's request for further funding. Based on the article, many of the technical mishaps during this VNL (in Brazil, Hongkong, and Japan) may be related to this. So I doubt FIVB will easily allow Korea to be relegated in this VNL (or at least until 2024).

In terms of the scheduling:

The fact that the FIVB reduced the World Championships to a two-year cycle and increased the number of participating countries is an intention to ultimately increase the scale of the competitions they host and make more money by doing them frequently. If you look at FIVB's ranking point system, it means to come out more often to the competitions they organize and get points. Such unilateral passage of FIVB eventually leads to conflicts with professional leagues in each country.

I love this term in the article translation: "murderous international competition schedule".

Really puts into perspective how the KVA and KOVO will approach the new requirements to gain world ranking points, as well as how they will adjust their domestic and international schedules. There are bigger storms coming Korea's way in the future it seems.

• Yes, the contracts are valid until 2024.

Starting 2025, VNL will have different formula.

• well I hope next year is the last with core and challenger teams

• Yes, the contracts are valid until 2024.

Starting 2025, VNL will have different formula.

Do you know what kind of formula?

• Do you know what kind of formula?

No, I don't have any details. I only heard that FIVB is working to change VNL formula starting 2025.

Core teams have a valid contract with Volleyball World until 2024.

• Well if Korea has anything, it's money

I'm pretty certain they won't quit VNL willingly (like China men's team) though they should - considering their ranking/performance/meaningless investment without much action to change anything significant (coach, players, etc)

Only "significant" thing is Korea finally using Mikasa balls in their domestic league, their reluctance probably comes from it being a Japanese brand & they already have a cheaper FIVB approved local volleyball

• No, I don't have any details. I only heard that FIVB is working to change VNL formula starting 2025.

Core teams have a valid contract with Volleyball World until 2024.

I hope they will reduce the number of teams to 12, last 4 teams of this vnl didn't add much. And maybe go back to idea of having second level of vnl instead of challenger cup

• Here's our line up for the 2023 AVC :

Setter: Kim Dain, Kim Jiwon

Libero: Kim Yeon Gyeon(!), Moon Jungwon

Middle Blocker: Park Eunjin, Lee Dahyun, Lee Juah Jung Hoyoung

Opposite: Kim Daun, Lee Sunwoo

Outside Hitter: Kang Sowhi, Kwon Minji, Park Jeong Ah, Lee Hanbi (!), Jeong Jiyun and Pyo Seungju

Wow. Some new faces and additions to the team - especially Lee Hanbi which was phenomenal last season, and Kim Yeon Gyeon who is a terrific libero.

Not sure though why they replaced Moon Jiyun to Lee Sunwoo... but I like Sunwoo as well. She aced Germany last VNL 3 times in a row.

• The Asian (W) Volleyball Championships sept 2-10. ?

• Hey, throwawayanyway are you watching the U19 tournament? Wondering if you have a few brief words about any of the players to watch carefully. I think the squad is a lot of fun with a few real bangers. The southpaw OP (Eun-Ji Shin, I believe) especially. I remember watching some HS matches a year or two ago and I think it was her HS, Sunmyung, that was almost all lefties :lol: Not sure if she was there when I watched or not

Japan and Korea are in a tough pool :white:

• Hey, throwawayanyway are you watching the U19 tournament? Wondering if you have a few brief words about any of the players to watch carefully. I think the squad is a lot of fun with a few real bangers. The southpaw OP (Eun-Ji Shin, I believe) especially. I remember watching some HS matches a year or two ago and I think it was her HS, Sunmyung, that was almost all lefties :lol: Not sure if she was there when I watched or not

Japan and Korea are in a tough pool :white:

Hi sitenoise , defintely for the upcoming rookie draft, the coaches are going to gun for Kim Sebin. She's a 188cm MB, who also won the Best Middle Blocker award in the 2022 Asian U18 Volleyball championship. Lee Jieun is another 188cm middle blocker and maybe the 2nd pick. She's as big as Sebin but not as agile. Shin Eunji is the opposite and will defintely be part of the 1st pick. Really takes hard swings and I believe the best server also in U18. She aced USA twice in a row during the 5th set (though it went downhill for the team after that lol). The team's libero Yoo Garam is also pretty solid. Kwak Seonook is their main OH and has a good swing and receiving but she struggles with pressure ( as can be seen during the 5th set with USA).