World Championship Japan 2010

• I don't know if this was posted somewhere else, but I figured it'b the place to discuss this.

So, Mari is definitely out of the WC. She had surgery last weekend and now she's gonna need, they think, 5 or 6 months to recover.
    ZRG called the list for the WC and there's no surprises, really. It's the 14 names who played the GP (minus Mari, of course), plus the add of Carol Gattaz, who's now fully recovered (so she says) from her foot injury and Fernanda Garay, who's a new option for the OH position. Paula was called too and they say she needs only a month to recover, but it's not 100% yet she'll be ok to play the WC.

Personally, I'd really like Fernanda to have a chance to play the WC, 'cause she's been superb this last couple of years. I actually think she should have been called in the first place, injuries or not. Unfortunately, I see the only chance that she'll make the WC it's if Paula doesn't recover, which of course I don't want to happen. We're gonna need Paula very much. But I think Fernanda could help the team a lot more than Sassá, for instance. Although her reception it's not really her strong point, I think it's better than Paula's, Mari's and Natália's and these days she's attacking and blocking very consistently. Let's see - I just hope she has a proper chance to show what she's got.

• I don't know if this was posted somewhere else, but I figured it'b the place to discuss this.

So, Mari is definitely out of the WC. She had surgery last weekend and now she's gonna need, they think, 5 or 6 months to recover.
    ZRG called the list for the WC and there's no surprises, really. It's the 14 names who played the GP (minus Mari, of course), plus the add of Carol Gattaz, who's now fully recovered (so she says) from her foot injury and Fernanda Garay, who's a new option for the OH position. Paula was called too and they say she needs only a month to recover, but it's not 100% yet she'll be ok to play the WC.

Personally, I'd really like Fernanda to have a chance to play the WC, 'cause she's been superb this last couple of years. I actually think she should have been called in the first place, injuries or not. Unfortunately, I see the only chance that she'll make the WC it's if Paula doesn't recover, which of course I don't want to happen. We're gonna need Paula very much. But I think Fernanda could help the team a lot more than Sassá, for instance. Although her reception it's not really her strong point, I think it's better than Paula's, Mari's and Natália's and these days she's attacking and blocking very consistently. Let's see - I just hope she has a proper chance to show what she's got.

So, in your opinion Ze Roberto will take 4 OHs and 4 MBs to Japan?
    I think he should take 5 OHs and 3 MBs. Having Fabiana and Thaisa healthy and in form, Brasil is not likely to have problems in MB position.So one reserve MB would be enough. On the other hand problems can occure on OH position.And considering the fact that Sassa is having difficulties in fundamentals which are considered to be her strong points, and that nobody knows in what shape Paula will be, I think the presence of Fernanda Garay is necessary.Or if he takes 4 OHs, is there any chance that Sassa stays at home? Paula will be there for sure.There is enough time for her to recover and Ze roberto said he will wait for her till the last moment.

• Yeah, I think he'll take 4 OH's, but I agree with you that he probably should take 5 instead. Even if Gattaz is fully recovered from her injury, she's not as necessary as the others are. But I'm sure Sassá is not going anywhere. Specially now with these casualties, but even if were not the case, Zé Roberto adores her. She's the only player who hasn't missed a single tournament ever since he took the job as coach in the NT, in 2003.

There could be a possibility of Joycinha being cut, 'cause stuff like that happened in the past, but it's probably not the case too right now either. Specially after he declared that both she and Natália have always trained reception in the NT.

Right now I'm rooting for Garay to stay, but I think that, more likely, she won't.

• It's impossible for Skowrońska to keep playing this bad.. even if she tried. She'll be back.

And yeah glinka for opposite, with that goofy approach of hers.. it's better suited for attacking on the right side.

Agreed! Garay is way more important for Brazil right now than Sassá. Even being rather short, Garay is a terrific spiker and blocker and finished as top scorer in the vast majority of the matches between Pinheiros and top teams like São Caetano, Osasco, Rio de Janeiro and Minas Tênis Clube.
    Her reception may be her weak point but even so it is better than Natália's. And her serves are definitely better than Paula's.

Zé Roberto has called 16 players and only 14 will play the WCH. Mári is already out due to her injury. I believe the other player who will be dismissed will be Carol Gattaz. Adenízia is a better server and offer the setters more options in attack besides being a better blocker and moving faster in the net.

I believe Sassá has a chance in Brazil's team because we need to improve in defense and having her available is always helpful when it comes to improve the team's defense and reception. Her serves are disappointing me so far. I hope she could improve for the WCH!

• :lol:
    pool A is ridiculously easy. It really is. I'd say pool A will be boring. There should be one more strong team like Italy or Brazil in Group A. but who knows...
    what I'm really looking forward is Pool B :whistle:

• Yuyuppi! WCH in Japan! There haven't been any volleyball event in this country recently!Children shouting: "Nippon!Nippon!" empty halls, no audience (except of Japanese matches) and longer brakes after second set only when host plays... No comment :roll: :white: Thanks God, that OG won't take place in Japan this year...

hahaha

• ROSIR CALDERON !! she's back yeah :super: go Cuba take the title :lol:

Anyone can support a team that is winning - it takes no courage. But to
    stand behind a team to defend a team when it is down and really needs
    you, that takes a lot of courage.

• ROSIR CALDERON !! she's back yeah :super: go Cuba take the title :lol:

but stıll no carıllo :what: come on, what is problem with trainer of cuba NT :whistle: she is far the best MB in Cuba but not in NT. İnjury or trainer's choice? or a fight like ramirez :whistle: is there anyone having idea about that?

• My picks to the semifinals

First Round
    Group A: Japan, Poland, Serbia, Peru
    Group B: Brazil, Italy, Netherlands, Czech Republic
    Group C: USA, Cuba, Germany, Croatia
    Group D: China, Russia, Dominican Republic, Turkey

Second Round
    Group E: China, Russia, Japan, Poland, Serbia, Dominican Republic
    Group F: Brazil, USA, Italy, Cuba, Netherlands, Germany

Third Round
    9-12 Semifinals
    Serbia, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Germany

5-8 Semifinals
    Japan, Poland, Italy, Cuba

1-4 Semifinals
    China, Russia, Brazil, USA

• but stıll no carıllo :what: come on, what is problem with trainer of cuba NT :whistle: she is far the best MB in Cuba but not in NT. İnjury or trainer's choice? or a fight like ramirez :whistle: is there anyone having idea about that?

it was carillo´s decision not to come back to NT..i think she has back problems

• Overall, I think this is what is going to happen in the WCH. I only think we could be surprised in the following aspects:

1) I believe Italy can take Brazil's or USA's spot in the semifinal. Especially with Costagrande in their roster. I believe Italy can improve a lot and surprise both Brazil and USA. For me, it is almost impossible to predict which of these three teams will be out. Brazil suffered a major blow with Mári's injury and Paula's participation is still open to question. Italy is going to improve a lot for the WCH and the whole world is paying attention to the new US team, I believe all of them will build strategies to try to neutralize the US team strong points.

2) As for the Dominican Republic, I wouldn't be surprised if they fight for the 5-8 Semifinals. WIth their B team they have beaten China's main team, so I think they can be the dark horse and even be among top-4 teams.

• Why is not Tereza Matuszkova in the final roster? Is she injured and she won't recovery to de WCh? She refused play in National Team?.....