2014 FIVB World Championship - Italy - 9/23

• Any link to watch Russia - Turkey match again?

I have read an article that Gizem Karadayi is injured? Any infos about this?

http://www.laola1.tv/en-int/video/turkey-russia/240110.html

Here you go. I watched the end but didn't see Gizem getting injured although I read so in the news too.

• Going in Saturday only 8 teams are left to reach the 3rd Round. Here are some scenarios.

Pool E
    China, 14 points, already clinched a berth due to Japan max of 14 points, but would wins tie breaker (5-4 match wins to China). 2 wins would clinch 1st place in the Pool.
    Italy, 13 points, need 2 points to clinch a berth
    Dominican Republic, 11 points, need 3 points to clinch a berth. Would have tiebreaker with Japan (5-4 match wins) if they both reached 11, 12, 13 or 14 points. Also would have win tiebreaker with Croatia (5-4 match wins) if they tie on 11 points.
    Japan, 8 points, Dominican Republic can only win 1 match in 5 sets and must lose (3 or 4 sets) and Japan must win both matches in 3 or 4 sets. A Japan loss in 5 sets means that the Dominican Republic can clinch with a 5 set loss.

Pool F
    USA, 15 points, need 2 points to clinch a berth, 2 wins would clinch 1st place in Pool.
    Brazil, 14 points, need 3 points to clinch a berth
    Serbia, 11 points, need 6 points to clinch a berth
    Russia, 10 points, Must get a Serbia loss and 2 wins to advance

• So 4 teams in 3rd Round are Italy, China, USA and Brazil.

Well, mathematically I don't think Brazil is already qualified. Big chances that they will but it's not 100% yet.

• does anyone recall how arias hurt her hand? from the replay, i think she banged hands with marte but just wanted to check.

i watched the match with AZE today. in the first set, rahimova (and aghaeva) were just killing DOM. at one point, rahimova was also on fire serving bombs at brenda and bethania. but after that, DOM just killed AZE in 2nd set, then AZE coach brought in zhidkova for aghayeva and parkhomenko for abdulazimova. rahimova was very erratic, hitting out a lot, making lots of mistakes. at one point, it was rahimova vs. bethania, with these trading blows across the net, or rahimova vs. castillo, digging everything. brenda of course had a great match, amazing how aggressive she is in taking the 2nd ball, sometimes even from marte and her back sets are usually very good. fersola a very good fill-in for arias, her connection with marte is very good (but i don't think she does the back slide like annerys valdez). valdez just killing all the many overpasses from AZE. btw, i don't think i have ever seen marte lose a joust, today she won one against aghayeva. the DOM are playing really well and CHN better not underestimate them.

2 points emblematic of the match: the one diving dig from brenda sent the ball over and rahimova just let the ball go thinking it was out, just to have it land right at her feet, on court!!!!! then at match point, she hit the ball so far out, it must have been out by 5 meters!!!!!!!

• Agree for France. But there too Patrick Montel plays a role. And French audience knows it.
    Watching sports is not exactly the same thing than going to the church.

carducat,

not to belabor this too much, but for montel, it seems like it is a religious experience. an athlete has come down from heaven to save france.

have you heard this?????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZHX4zHprTs

this is soooo embarrassing and pathetic. so unprofessional, and not appropriate for a journalist. maybe for a different type of show.

• Disappointing second phase for Bulgaria so far, looks like the coach didn't do his homework against the teams, like Plamen Konstantinov and his belief that strong psychology replaces analysis of the opponent.

• Yes but I repeat it, Montel is just an actor. And nowadays he's unable to make an other kind of comments. He's prisoner of his role.
    Nothing religious at all in that, you can trust me.
    He made a lot to promote athletics in France since a long time and now nobody dares to fire him .
    He likes a lot of foreign athlets too...
    But I agree, those nationalist comments are unbearable unless we take Montel's show as a comic one.

• I'

They say she's not receiving well though she had a pretty good game against Russia. Or this could be a tactic not to tire her, even Christa Harmotto-Dietzen did not play against Turkey despite a monster game putting up a wall against the Russians.

I think they are both getting rested for tougher and decisive matches against Serbia and Brazil

• And Russia is probably out !
    I'm sorry but even Borisenko could be a better option than this MBs.
    This match shows because of Marichev's decision ,Russia not only loss Obmochaeva but also Kosianenko . She was terrible
    As for Turkey, Güldeniz was the X-factor. One of her greatest offensive performance ever.
    I don't like Gözde because of her personality but I must admit she was also great
    Gamova probably didn't have enough preparation for this tornament.

I doubt about Borisenko but someone like Shlyakhovaya-Morozova-Mariukhnich is indeed seriously missed in the team. My feeling is that this injury rate is due to a fairly complex season in the national championship.

Marichev has a tough choice: Gamova has indeed started way too late (early September) and is genuinely out of condition. On the other hand, he knows well that w/out functional Gamova his team is not strong enough to get into medals at WCh anyway, so it may be reasonable to take the risk. If I were him, I would have done a mega-switch: Goncharova should play opp, Moroz should go to the bench and Gamova should move into the middle. Sounds a bit crazy but... Gamova is a better blocker than Moroz and can invent something attack-wise, which Moroz isn't capable of, even from an unusual position. Goncharova may be more confident if she is in the starting line-up. Now, I would have made Malykh receive, which she is perfectly capable of, she is not that tall. I would then use just one libero, with the second one being ready to substitute Kosheleva/Malykh if they fail. This may not work of course but it would be fun... and definitely better than Goncharova/Kosheleva in reception. Oh yes, and Moroz looks much better on the bench, w/out her glasses.

• I doubt about Borisenko but someone like Shlyakhovaya-Morozova-Mariukhnich is indeed seriously missed in the team. My feeling is that this injury rate is due to a fairly complex season in the national championship.

Marichev has a tough choice: Gamova has indeed started way too late (early September) and is genuinely out of condition. On the other hand, he knows well that w/out functional Gamova his team is not strong enough to get into medals at WCh anyway, so it may be reasonable to take the risk. If I were him, I would have done a mega-switch: Goncharova should play opp, Moroz should go to the bench and Gamova should move into the middle. Sounds a bit crazy but... Gamova is a better blocker than Moroz and can invent something attack-wise, which Moroz isn't capable of, even from an unusual position. Goncharova may be more confident if she is in the starting line-up. Now, I would have made Malykh receive, which she is perfectly capable of, she is not that tall. I would then use just one libero, with the second one being ready to substitute Kosheleva/Malykh if they fail. This may not work of course but it would be fun... and definitely better than Goncharova/Kosheleva in reception. Oh yes, and Moroz looks much better on the bench, w/out her glasses.

lol Russia with the Hybrid 6 system...could be interesting lol. But I personally think that their lack of success is more of a team spirit issue, look at when they came back to defeat China after being down 0-2 in the WGP finals. But the MB position is REALLY hurting Russia right now, Marichev needs to put in Fetisova and keep her in IMO.

On a side note, does anyone else think Moroz has gigantic eyes? I saw her face without the glasses on and was like OMG it's an alien :cheesy:

• I doubt about Borisenko but someone like Shlyakhovaya-Morozova-Mariukhnich is indeed seriously missed in the team. My feeling is that this injury rate is due to a fairly complex season in the national championship.

even as a pure OPP, goncharova continues to struggle. we've seen that last WGP. try her as an OH, then it's a serving party for russia's opponents. :gone:

• the idea of a 2nd libero being a "false OH" (i.e. coming for a player in the back row without being an official libero) is done well by kwiek and the DOM team. when binet comes in to serve for the MB, then that allows castillo to sub in for de la cruz or another OH in the back row, so they have both castillo and binet in the backcourt. the disadvantage is having one less back row hitter (which de la cruz excels at), but that allows her to take a break if needed. also, kwiek will sometimes put martinez in front row for marte, so she can block/hit upfront, with castillo setting for that one rotation.

• wow. just watched the 5th set of TUR x RUS. amazing effort by the TUR girls!!!! so surprising to see even onal and seda had some nice kills, and of course, gozde killing like crazy. but what made the difference was the blocking/defence by TUR girls!!!!! congrats to them for this victory even if they don't advance to 3rd round.