Olympic Games - Brazil 2016 (qualification process)

• Here's what the Thai team said in press conference. I'm actually surprised FIVB put it online....

Thailand coach Radchatagriengkai K.
    -“I would like to thank my players who gave their all tonight. We will give our best in the rest of the matches. These players are my heroines.”
    -“In my life something like this has never happened. I have been a volleyball coach for 20 years and never saw this.”
    -“I asked why the touch panels were not displaying member changes and I asked for a clarification and I was given a red card.”
    -“Then I asked again why the tablets were not displaying the members and got the second red card. It was very unfair to the Thai team. We play with sportsmanship. This judgment was not right. The match is over now and we have to accept the result.”
    -“The system should be reconsidered. We could not change players even though my players were in the changing area.”

Thailand captain Thinkaow Pleumjit
    -“I think this match will be memorable. Both teams showed great performances. I think it was unfair. We still have matches left.”
    -“I wanted the new system to be reconsidered. Teams are not used to using it. This system has caused mistakes in the game.”

And it has to be mentioned that Thailand is not the only team that has problems. Also Peru on several occasions had refused substitutions, but I don't think they ever got so much as a yellow card for it :whistle:

Either way, Thailand has Korea, Peru and Kazakhstan ahead of them, while Japan has DOM, Italy and Netherlands. I cross my fingers that Thai team pulls off a surprise against Korea and DOM pulls off a surprise against Japan, because this Japanese team IMO has nothing special at all. Nagaoka and Sakoda are the only strong hitters, Saori is just a shadow of herself, Koga isn't ready for this level yet, all MBs are average, Miyashita is nothing special either...Korea has Kim and put up very good performances lately, the Thai put all their hearts out and play a really nice game. Japan on the other hand plays very boring, no combination plays, very few middle attacks, all high balls to the wings.

• i was able to watch only the last set. che vergogna, mr. macias. fivb should ban this man, he's the worst referee ever. really, did you think that is the way to end a match????

i didn't think anybody could make me angrier than the stupid announcers. fivb announcers are this old brit dude who doesn't know anything about VB (watch here at 2:29, he doesn't understand what the call is? really????????? keeps wondering for a full minute, "what happened? i'm confused" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-xo3pD2W2w), and the woman announcer is awful as well. i should apply for this job.

somebody please ban macias forever. disgusting. in the end, this result won't probably matter much, i don't think THA had many chances anymore to qualify, but still... this is a HUGE SCANDAL.

• By the way, did anyone else notice who was the FIVB supervisor for this match? :whistle:
    I saw him during that controversial mid-rally challenge in 2nd set and was shocked to see that this man is now doing FIVB jobs. But then, it all fits...

• Right, i don't what Stav Jacobi was doing there and now i see that he is the supervisor, really? :white: .. i thought he is only a businessman.. the FIVB keeps surprising me every year :down: .

• I am putting my best guess and thinking how the pool composition would look like in Rio. I'm using the scenario that Italy, Korea, Netherlands and Japan all qualify based on the current results of the World Qualies.

Pool A
    Brazil (Hosts)
    Russia (4)
    Japan (5)
    Korea (9)
    Argentina (12)
    Cameroon (21)

Pool B
    United States (1)
    China (2)
    Serbia (6)
    Italy ( 8 )
    Netherlands (14)
    Puerto Rico*/Kenya/Alegria/Colombia (2nd World Qualifier)

Is it 99% decided that BRA-RUS-JPN and US-CHN-SRB are going to be paired together? Pool B is sure looking to be really tough..

• yes, you are right. If Dom. Republic did not fail this miserably, Italy would be on group 1.

• And even if Miyashita's hand did touch the floor on Thai side, this is not an error anymore since many years :!: Only foot over the line is a fault, other body parts only when an opponent is being disturbed or touched.

I thought that too... But what about the ball? I mean, if the player took the ball on the other side, it was fault, right? And if the ball was – for example – half in a court and half in the other?

• But this is not the case... the ball was in japan court. I think in both cases would be fault.

• If the calendar was arranged in a different way, I could see Korea helping Thailand to keep Japan out of the Olympics (they hate Japan more than anything), but I really don't think Korea could jeopardy their own qualification. And I wonder about the motivation of Thailand for the upcoming matches, today was soul crushing for everyone on court.

• By the way, did anyone else notice who was the FIVB supervisor for this match? :whistle:
    I saw him during that controversial mid-rally challenge in 2nd set and was shocked to see that this man is now doing FIVB jobs. But then, it all fits...

Shouldnt this be a conflict of interest? Even if it is not his team, or his players there in the game....

• i'm so sad DOM, THA and TUR will not be in rio. well, i didn't really expect THA to make it but the way the match today went, i'm really angry and sad.

i wouldn't blame the JPN players, i bet they would not want to win this way. i blame fivb and this idiot referee. although who knows what the JPN federation has done behind the scenes...

i hope kwiek gets fired after this. i'm sad some of my favorite DOM will not be at the olympics again, like pri rivera, annerys valdez vargas, etc. for whom this would have been their last chance for the olympics.

• can someone explain who this person is and what does this mean?

"Shouldnt this be a conflict of interest? Even if it is not his team, or his players there in the game.... "

Volero Zurich's president Stav Jacobi.. he is surprisingly a supervisor in this tournament.

• But this is not the case... the ball was in japan court. I think in both cases would be fault.

I didn't meant that this was the case, I was just speculating ;) I was simply curious to know the rule, to understand if the Thailand coach could have asked to check when the player hit the ball (while the hand it's not fault so it's pointless both to ask and to give a challenge, if he had asked to check the ball may be the referee should have give him the challenge...)

• I've just watched the THA-JPN match. It was the most disgusting match I've ever watched. I feel so sorry fot Thai girtls. Once again they are the victims of the system. I have no words ;(

• i wonder, is the OH lee soyoung related to the twins lee jaeyeong (OH) and lee daeyong (setter)?

soyoung is also too short! she's lucia bosetti's height (175 cm).

No Lee Soyoung is not related to the twins. In Korea, Park, Kim and Lee are common surnames. They have another tall OH, Park Jeong Ah. She's 187cm if i'm not mistaken. Though she needs to improve her floor defense and reception, her hitting too.

• I am of two thoughts on the Japan Thailand match. It was an incredible drama and a display of complete incompetence.

Why do we have number boards for substitutions?

No, you have to push the button for the substitution. But you have to hold the number board. Well the button didn't work, but I am doing what we always do, stand in the substitution zone with the board showing who I am coming in for. Sorry, we can't have you do that.

We have done this forever when playing as a kid and we can't have the down ref at the top level go, let's get it right. Just pure stupidity.

Why do we have the scorekeeper? They keep track on paper. Well we are digital now, so that paper thing doesn't work. We all are still on paper at the lower levels because we have to get it right.

The FIVB should just get rid of the substitution rules at this point because the referees don't care to say, we are wrong, we don't know what happened.

The sad thing is that Thailand still had this match in hand. 6 point lead with only 3 points left in the 5th. A coach needs to maintain calm, which he did not and that doubt, crept into the players. If he stays calm, Japan still has to execute nearly perfect on every point just to win or even tie.

The Thailand team probably deserved a win. But the referees ineptitude and a coach not knowing when to stop created this train wreck.