2018 FIVB World Championship - Japan

• Yea I have no idea about the average, that could be higher for the male. The top players definitely make more though in the women's. I just mentioned it as a thing to be proud of for the women's as it is basically the only sport where they come close and even make more on some occasions.

Oh and maybe they come fairly close in tennis as well, but those are it.

• Tennis is actually a very similar example, the top women can outearn the men on prize money alone, but the further you go down the list, the more skewed in favour of the men it becomes.

There are sports that actually have equal prize money for both sexes, like athletics and swimming, but men can generally earn more on endorsement money and appearance fees than women. And then there are those that are the other way around, like gymnastics or figure skating where women earn more, although in absolute numbers it doesn't amount to much except for the very best.

• Actually, I see that Sport Klub have updated their schedule and now they have BRA vs GER at 3:40 and SRB vs MEX at 6:25:/

Neither FIVB nor German sites have made any changes though. I'm not going to wake up and watch at either time, but it's flat out pathetic that with less than 12 hours before the match there still is confusion about who plays when, and that in a World Championship...

• Neither FIVB nor German sites have made any changes though. I'm not going to wake up and watch at either time, but it's flat out pathetic that with less than 12 hours before the match there still is confusion about who plays when, and that in a World Championship...

Another update, and now they have SRB vs MEX back at 3:40 :rolll:

It really is ridiculous. If it was another opponent I just might stay awake for the first set at least, but I'm not taking any chances now.

• Yeah I think it is, top players like Zhu Ting, KYK, Tijana Boskovic etc. get paid quite a lot more then top male players according to very reliable sources. I know that male volleyball is also popular esp. in some places but I'd say in general women's is a tad bit more popular then men's. Though if you ask me both get followed too little still compared to other sports, like basketball, football.

It also depends on certain countries, in Turkey f.e. male volleyball is nowhere near as popular as women's. No one cares about the males basically... In some other countries, males is more popular.

I can contribute some informations about that: in Germany Sport1 free TV station is airing now in the season coming for the second time the Bundesliga/VBL matches - and they air now about twice as much women's matches as men's matches; in the first place last season they started with women's league only and later added men's league. The TV numbers were/are justifying it: the matches of women's teams had considerably more spectators than the matches of men's teams. And this came as no surprise to me: you can more easily follow the ball in womens volleyball due to lower speeds (despite there are some (half a dozen or so) hard hitters in the world, who can even there accelerate the ball to speed of just above 100 km/h in attack and service) and the single points are more played than just plain hit with brute force (sorry, but for example Georg Grozer is kind of volleyball cannon, if he hits full, so it's hard to follow). From a more subjective viewpoint I think women's volleyball is more like the rules/intentions were created, and they move much more smooth and even graceful as men do, are even superiour in digging IMHO...

• I'm definitely against how women are forced by the law to wear hijab in public in Iran. However, we should understand and respect the fact that each country has it's own laws, religion, traditions and values.

I don't see the difference between forcing women to wear hijab in public (Iran law) and forcing women to take off hijab in public (the previous Turkish law you mentioned). Don't you think there was so many religious women who struggled with this law as they were asked to take off their head scarf in order to attend university or get a job??? They are also women, aren't they???

I'm not Iranian to tell or judge how females are treated out there but not everything we see on internet and western media about this country is true.

By the way, Turkey is not the perfect place either.

That's absolutely off topic, my apologies.

• I can contribute some informations about that: in Germany Sport1 free TV station is airing now in the season coming for the second time the Bundesliga/VBL matches - and they air now about twice as much women's matches as men's matches; in the first place last season they started with women's league only and later added men's league. The TV numbers were/are justifying it: the matches of women's teams had considerably more spectators than the matches of men's teams. And this came as no surprise to me: you can more easily follow the ball in womens volleyball due to lower speeds (despite there are some (half a dozen or so) hard hitters in the world, who can even there accelerate the ball to speed of just above 100 km/h in attack and service) and the single points are more played than just plain hit with brute force (sorry, but for example Georg Grozer is kind of volleyball cannon, if he hits full, so it's hard to follow). From a more subjective viewpoint I think women's volleyball is more like the rules/intentions were created, and they move much more smooth and even graceful as men do, are even superiour in digging IMHO...

I beg to differ, if you're talking about speed, ice hockey is much faster, you can barely see the ball, and yet, so many people watch it. This only proves that in Germany, women's volleyball is more popular. It's the same in countries like Japan, China, Thailand, USA, etc. More people follow women's volleyball.

• I only watched 1 match live that I really wanted to watch and and watch few match that I can because of time, but they are bot interesting at all... So they I'm not so in to this WCH.

• 1st round was indeed not so interesting however I feel 2nd round might be quite a bit better in terms of level. Annoying thing is times won't change, I also barely watched matches even when I tried to wake up for them. I actually am happy though that some matches will play 3:40 CET time which is much more doable for me then early morning.

• I guess FIVB should make them play like 2..3...4 in the morning LOCAL TIME in order to accommodate European fans...this way u guys can watch everything in prime time...screw the players....make them wake up at 3am. :lol:

I`m sorry...but if u don`t wake up to watch a WCH that means u r not a true volleyball fan. And that is the problem with volleyball...there`s not many true fans out there... In the soccer World Cup everyone across the Globe wakes up...stays up late and do whatever to watch .... this is the type of fans that volleyball does not have.

I have been watching games at 10pm....1am and 3am...then I wake at 7am to go to work....and I`m not complaining ...is only for 20 days...u won`t die for waking up in the middle of the night to watch a game....

#YouGuysAreNotTrueFans :heart:

• Soccer matches have a good time schedule for all continents. Even Eurovision which was held in Azerbaijan started in Baku I guess local time 12 am (midnight) which was for Europe 9 pm (It starts always at 9 pm).

What I try to say is that FIVB should give the early matches for the American teams so their native people can watch the matches at a normal time, afterwards matches to Asian teams who would play on midday which is not a big problem for them and the latest matches to European teams who can watch the matches at a normal time in the morning.

Yes I know this can‘t be always done like this if you have not a balance, just saying.

Or one Pool plays on a day and the other Pool the day after so tht we don‘t have so many matches (which have to start early local time) on one day. Even the players are not used to play a match on 10/11 am local time.

Fivb is really miles miles miles behind fifa and fiba!

• I haven’t missed 3:20 AM Japanese game yet