Turkey - Vestel Venüs Sultanlar Ligi - 2018/2019

• It is such a pity Vargas lost almost 2 years without playing. Because of injuries and also because of her federation :wall:

If I am not wrong, she started to play for her NT when she was only 13 yo. And at 14, she was already winning prizes in senior level competitions. She is like Leon, who also was a phenomenon when he was almost a kid (I think Leon also started playing for Cuba when he was 14-15).

Vargas could be so dominant now. Let's hope such a talent wont be lost. So many cuban players havent been the same after the federation ban. Names as Giel (who used to be a block machine), Palacios, Salas and Silva

• It is such a pity Vargas lost almost 2 years without playing. Because of injuries and also because of her federation :wall:

If I am not wrong, she started to play for her NT when she was only 13 yo. And at 14, she was already winning prizes in senior level competitions. She is like Leon, who also was a phenomenon when he was almost a kid (I think Leon also started playing for Cuba when he was 14-15).

Vargas could be so dominant now. Let's hope such a talent wont be lost. So many cuban players havent been the same after the federation ban. Names as Giel (who used to be a block machine), Palacios, Salas and Silva

fortunately Vargas is pretty young..i mean if she was some thing like 25-yo then we could say she lost 2 very important years and couldnt put them back but she is 19-yo and doing pretty well and still learning so no worry!

• Who do you think is better? Haak or Vargas?

Haak spikes too much. Her stats in Seria A1 are from too many attacking attempts. Her attacking efficiency is not that impressive.

Spiking too much is not a good thing for her age. She's still very young.

Vargas is very talented, given that she's been injured before.

• TRT haven’t broadcasted Vakif’s games for the last two weeks if I’m not wrong and they won’t next week as well. I wonder if apocalypse is approaching.

i was able to watch both matches via sportzone that "pope" talked about in " Trash Can Thread: All Volleyball related discussions" thread. i was thinking about introducing it to you guys so you guys can follow not only the regular matches that are already broadcast but also some matches that are not broadcast on tv. but i got caught up in other things and forgot. anyway you can download it and watch pretty much all the matches in many sports.

• I could be wrong but I think Vargas played at the WCH 2014 when she was only 14??

Yes, she did.

If I remember correctly she even played at 2013 World Grand Prix.

• I think Vargas is more powerful than Haak, while Haak is more technical than her. It is also a big plus for Haak that she spent 2 seasons in Italy, developing her technical skills further as well as understanding of volleyball. However, they are both incredible and will be fun to watch next season.

To me Haak will match perfectly to Vakif's system. Guidetti loves players who is not only a good attacker but serves well and most importantly, has good defensive skills. She will get better and faster sets like Lönneke does now. The problem is, if Vakifbank can find a good replacement for Zhu because now Lönneke is a second priority for opponents after Zhu. Without Zhu, opponents will prioritise Haak in blocking first. The ball is also different in Turkish league than Italy, as well as the lower quality of liberos. Vargas makes aces easily here. I think Haak can become spectacular in the serve line next year for these reasons. She might also have a better attacking ratio owing to worse defensive skills of Turkish teams.

About Asli, she actually did not play much with Lo Bianco. She was too young back then and GS was using players like Gioli, Ergul, Veljkovic, Özgenur as middles back then. Asli played few matches with Lo Bianco as far as I remember and she actually had good attacking skills back then. That was the time when she hit Bahar on the face when she was sliding :)

• Btw, is Vargas really that young? It is unbelievable that she is that strong at this age. She was as strong when she played in Czech league 2-3 years ago already.

• Btw, is Vargas really that young? It is unbelievable that she is that strong at this age. She was as strong when she played in Czech league 2-3 years ago already.

She is and she has a baby face which is so cute.

I know in Iran and Brazil, birth certificates are easy to deal with which happens for several reasons. I don’t know if that could be the case in Cuba as well. Iran and Cuba both are sanctioned countries by US which makes it hard to use a global system. I don’t know about Brazil but I have heard in a podcast where John Speraw made a joke about it.

I would be more skeptical if she or Leon were looking more mature but they both have baby face so It makes it easier to believe them. Otherwise, their power and volleyball is out of this world for their age. Hope Vargas will achieve to her potential.

• I know in Iran and Brazil, birth certificates are easy to deal with which happens for several reasons.

What, really?

• Brenda Castillo was rumoured to show her age less than actuall too :)

There is evidence that several DOM players changed their birth dates throughout their careers, the internet does not forget, But since Cuba, unlike DOM, was never interested in achieving big success on junior level, there is no reason to fake Vargas' birth date.

I know it could sound a bit unbelieavable, but Vargas is really that young. Since her first appereance, she was easy to recognize thanks to her baby face, which has also been pointed out. Her debut was when she was 13 yo and she was sooooo thin. And she didnt have her current height. Her height was 179-180cm. Now, 184.

It was also unbelievable when Leon broke into the vball scene. I remember his baby face in the WGCC 09. He was just 15.

Cuba isnt the caribbean country which is famous for changing the birth dates of their players.

It is quite weird that, for example, Brayelin Martinez hasnt grown a single centimeter since her debut, which was an U20 WCH. She was 14.

As well as her sister, Natalia.

• I know it could sound a bit unbelieavable, but Vargas is really that young. Since her first appereance, she was easy to recognize thanks to her baby face, which has also been pointed out. Her debut was when she was 13 yo and she was sooooo thin. And she didnt have her current height. Her height was 179-180cm. Now, 184.

It was also unbelievable when Leon broke into the vball scene. I remember his baby face in the WGCC 09. He was just 15.

Cuba isnt the caribbean country which is famous for changing the birth dates of their players.

It is quite weird that, for example, Brayelin Martinez hasnt grown a single centimeter since her debut, which was an U20 WCH. She was 14.

As well as her sister, Natalia.

Vargas is 193 cm ; not 184...