2022 FIVB World Championship - POL/SLO

• Not seeing any upsets from lower seeds tbh.

Normally I'd give Iran or Argentina a fair chance against those opponents but not in their current form.

• Btw I wonder how much worse would be some teams like South Korea or Australia, they are not first tier level but at least they would be competitive. Not even talking about some European countries like Portugal, Finland or even Greece and Belgium. But they don't get invitation to play in the retarded VNL to earn ranking points because they are having lack of funds I suppose?

maybe they are "competitive" but they didn't beat the "garbage" team did they? fucking idiot

• Hard path for Iran, Argentina, Serbia and Brazil

• Hard path for Iran, Argentina, Serbia and Brazil

I wish turkey was 10th instead of 9th. They would have way easier path😩

• So we're having teams who can't even make 15 points in a set getting wild cards to play in World championship because of the Fivb ranking instead of having an actual qualification.

Is it because Fivb's beloved federations would actually miss the tournament ?

Said this before, will say it again: This season TRULY has been spectacular in highlighting how awful the changes FIVB recently made are. First Belgium, who won 4 matches gets relegated from women's VNL because of this stupid Core Teams rule they introduced in VNL, now this.

Instead of having normal qualifiers, like in any other sports, from football to basketball to handball, we're stuck with this shitty ranking system that heavily favors rich and powerful (A.k.a FIVB's favorite) type of federations. Surely if China TRULY is one of the top 4 teams in Asia, they would have no problems taking one of the 4 spots usually Reserved for AVC through qualification, right? Like who does that? Can you imagine the outcry if FIFA announced teams who Play the next world Cup will be decided by ranking points?

And don't even get me started on FIVB giving NEGATIVE 50 ranking points to the teams that "did not play a match" in a given year. Wtf kind of rule is that? Once again: who does that? And the best thing is, many teams, like say,the Philipines girls played a TON of matches this year, except they weren't deemed as "official games" by the FIVB. So what, will they get -50 points too? How on earth were they supposed to play an "official match" with such rules? That will singlehandedly destroy all chances they had, no matter how small, to play World Champs or the Olympics for the next few decades.

Yeah, remember when they promised all matches will count when announcing this ranking system 🤡? Because it clearly looks like the only way to get ranking points is by playing VNL (commercial, invitational tournament) or tournaments like WCH, WC or Olympic Games, which already require a high enough world rank position to enter.

The only way for smaller, non-european nations to earn points was by playing Continental olympic/ world Championship qualifiers, and FIVB got rid of them

I pray to God normal qualifiers return for WCH 2026. I vastly prefer having 150 national teams or so complete for the available spots in a fair and just manner, like in 2014 or 2018 than this ranking based nonsense.

• part of the reasoning for the qualification system for the World Champs this year was due to Covid. Would the FIVB preferred to have normal qualifiers,yes, but you had to win your Continental spots (1st or 2nd) to get the immediate entry locked and then they went to the remaining teams in the top 24 after the Continental qualifiers.

the points system that was implemented in 2020 did not really have any movement until 2021 because of again Covid.
    I mean if you look at the old ranking systems (each tournament was always dependent on your final position.

The new version at least is based on every match played (that counts in the system). AVC has been notorious about mini tournaments under names like Cup. Basically FIVB said either have it annually or don’t because you will not get ranking points if it is not annual. NORCECA has a number of annual events, which does hurt the USA points as they’ll often send a B team.

FIVB/VBW can choose what events they want to prioritize and needless to say for the indoor game it is Olympics, World Champs and VNL. So those tournaments get the most prize money and ranking points. USA women losing in Tokyo to Russia 3-0 was a big drop in ranking points because it was an upset. In the past, that would not have driven up Russia’s ranking points because they would have to finish out the tournament to see any benefit. Now, they do get immediate benefits, but can lose some of it if they cannot follow it up.

• The new ranking formula is a great idea in combination with new OT qualification rules, but it's completely unprepared.

It's not directly the FIVB fault that the lower-ranked Asian teams have no place to regularly play for points.

These annual events like Panamerican Cup may be avoided by higher-ranked teams after some time since they're included in a ranking while in reality they've always been preparation phase/test site for young players. Why would Argentina play there with their juniors since every point is important for them to fight for OT spot?

VNL games are waaaay overrated in a ranking formula in context of its real meaning.

And so on.

But it's a weird discussion to start about China and its presence here since PRC is both one of the best Asian teams and ranked high enough to play WCH based on a ranking.

• Serbian female team was ranked 30th in wch 2006 when we won Bronze. This is record.

https://www.eurosport.com/voll…rld_sto999653/story.shtml

Its kinda sad, that these days low ranked teams don't have chance to play qualification.

That's not a good example, Serbia has already beaten some of the favourites before going to WCH (for example turkey) so they would have gain some points to increase their ranking if this ranking system existed then

• I don't think there's any comparison to the past to be honest, in World Grand Prix in the past there were 12 teams with continental qualifications, there was no European League, ECH is also extended to 24 teams, not 12 etc. Serbia '05 nowadays could have swept European League, make it to the VNL through Challenger Cup, getting an upset at ECH level is also theoretically easier with the current formula since you can advance to the semifinals with some QF upset and there's no realistic fear for any okay and above team not to qualify to ECH.

And this is correct that the new ranking formula makes rising (and falling) in a world ranking much easier, for example Netherlands in male volleyball have gained 30 points in VNL with 6-7 record and 8th place, Slovenia lost almost 30 points in VNL with 5-7 record and 10th place. Now, Netherlands have advanced to the 1/8 with another 30 points ranking boost, and that's just by making top16 of the tournament. And they were 8th at the last WCH, so they haven't yet even matched last WCH performance, but beating Egypt and two favorites (Iran, Argentina) made such an improvement.

• I support WCH qualification tournament. In Asia, this qualification tournament usualy serves as regional competition too. Before Asian teams get into final qualification round, they have to be the winner of regional qualification games.

You can see teams like Maldives,Bangladesh, Fiji to compete in regional competition. This kind of competition is key to grow volleyball in those tier 3/4 countries.

• The problem with playing qualification competitions is the calendar is already jam-packed full.

Players are already playing too many games. Clubs aren't going to concede some of their matches.

Combining events doesn't seem to be an option since each continent does their own thing (Golden League, Pan Am Cups, whatever AVC is doing these days)

Going by ranking is the best way for the athletes themselves.

I do think the ranking procedure could be better. but it was never going to be perfect from day 1. And I think federations/confederations/athletes will discuss whenever they do that type of thing.

• Yeah. And I don't think that this ''lower-ranked don't have a chance to advance to WCH, it shouldn't be like that" sadness is rightful, it's not like making to the ~top24 of the world ranking in volleyball is difficult to any decent team (only in Europe there are okay teams ranked below, Qatar is #24 and they basically did it by naturalizing couple of average pro players from Europe/Brazil). We're celebrating Mexico defeating Bulgaria like it's something no one could have imagined, and they're like 17th team in the world based on ranking, lol.

Tunisia is #19 and people in Poland are disappointed that we got a bye in 1/8 of WCH, because it's not a game you wish to go watch live.

• The new ranking system is great. It rewards teams that work hard and paly well. But as I said it before, this system needs to be improved by including qualified friendly tournaments and adjusting the K.

My ideal K would be:

8.0 - Qualified friendly tournaments*

10.0 – Other official events organized by Continental Confederations
    15.0 – Confederations' Championship qualifying
    20.0 – FIVB Challenger Cup
    25.0 – Olympic Games qualifying

30.0 – FIVB Nations League

35.0 - FIVB World Cup and Confederations' Championship
    45.0 – FIVB World Championship
    50.0 – Olympic Games

* Qualified friendly tournaments must meet the standards of minimum prize money ( US$ 100,000), the capacity of venue (5,000seats above), paid spectators income (minimum income to reach US$10,000) , national TV broadcast/international TV broadcast required.

• I don't think friendly tournaments should be considered at all. That is welcoming federations to be able to game the system. That's why only confederation sponsored tournaments are accepted now.

The world cup is getting absorbed into Olympic Qualification, for what its worth.

And a multiplier of 8 doesnt really offer much. USA women would've gained 2 points for beating Turkey three times this past week.

• Only valid to Top teams. Ntional teams like Vienamt, Myanmar don't have many matches to play.

but then you get a problem of, what defines a top team?

(hypothetically) Its in NORCECA's interest for Puerto Rico to play in top competitions. USA has some points to spare... lets set up some matches with them and Cuba to get PR's ranking up.

It'll just create messiness.

• I don't think friendly tournaments should be considered at all. That is welcoming federations to be able to game the system. That's why only confederation sponsored tournaments are accepted now.

The world cup is getting absorbed into Olympic Qualification, for what its worth.

And a multiplier of 8 doesnt really offer much. USA women would've gained 2 points for beating Turkey three times this past week.

You keep thinking in the shoe's of Team like USA, Poland. Think about teams like Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines.

You can't game the system by setting standards as well as FIVB can limit the total points that gains from Friendly tournaments per year.

One thing volleyball can't grow is people in RICH volleyball culture or volleyball powerhouse don't wanna grow volleyball. They want to keep their advantages. They think volleyball games with their mindsets.

You're from India, oh sorry! But you're born in USA, welcome to the Volleyball World!