Politics and social issues

• Btw, you want to know why Electoral College will be almost impossible to get rid of? Because without it, Republicans would almost certainly never again enter into White House. The only time they won the popular vote since 1988 was in 2004, and that was almost certainly on the back of surge of (blind) patriotism post-9/11. Out of 8 last elections, only once did they win more votes! And with the rise of social and political literacy and the (very, very slow) decrease in acceptability of any and all kinds of bigotry, the chances for Republicans to win the popular vote again decreases with time (yes, even in such a country as America).

In short, Electoral College is the only thing keeping bi-partisanship alive (at least on the presidential level).

• Pennsylvania just turned blue! :huh:

• this is a letter in the NYT. this tells you how the republicans do everything they can to steal elections. they simply don’t believe in democracy.

To the Editor:

Re “Questions Mount, Again, After Pollsters Overestimated Democratic Strength” (news article, Nov. 5):

Patrick Murray, a pollster, explains the gap between Democrats’ poll numbers and the election results by saying it’s possible that Republicans’ efforts to prevent certain populations from voting easily had a sizable impact. You think?

Yes, Mr. Murray, it’s just possible that purging hundreds of thousands of people from voter rolls; closing polling places in heavily Democratic areas, forcing them to stand in line for hours or vote by mail; making mail-in voting so tricky that ballots are tossed out on technicalities; sabotaging the Postal Service to delay ballot delivery; and then claiming that mail-in votes shouldn’t be counted just might create a gap between the number of Americans who planned to vote for Democrats, and those who were able to do so.

Perhaps if everyone could vote, the polls might be more accurate.

Penelope Kramer

El Cerrito, Calif.

• i just wanted to say this about hillary. people like to bash her and blame her for everything, but they forget that she had been under attack by the republinazis for decades. in the US, there are a lot of myths that refuse to die. people still think MSG is bad for you, that the republicans are good for the economy, that the dump is a self-made billionaire etc. hillary got decades of bad press to the point that people thought she was eating children at home. and this people voted for that scumbag, who is 10 million times worse.

and i’m not her biggest fan. in the primaries this year, i supported warren, but i am even more progressive than warren.

here’s an interesting article about re-assessing the 2016 loss.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2…lts-prompt-a-reassessment

• Doesn't matter that there are long-standing smear campaigns against her; there are still many, many things for which she can rightfully be blamed and she will leave a lot of toxic legacy, and for Democratic Party (and for America as a country) it would have been better if she had never entered politics at all.

• Hillary's not a saint.

Libya is basically a slave market now because of her.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• I can't believe it that country as US doesn't have better candidates for US president than Trump or Biden :hit::what:

• I can't believe it that country as US doesn't have better candidates for US president than Trump or Biden :hit::what:

Oh they did, but they either got called Russian assets (Tulsi Gabbard) or had the microphones cut (Andrew Yang) during the DNC primaries. :gone::gone::gone:

• Ok US politics related and also a bit beyond that on western propaganda:

The amount of anti-China xenophobic comments I have seen from republicans :gone: Do they think they're making a point by being ignorant and racist af?

2024 republican campaign prediction: "Biden is to blame for China taking over USA as the most powerful nation."

While in reality this was already happening anyone in data science can confirm China's growth the last 2 decades in general is simply unmatched and will be even more so unmatched as the years progress. No one can stop them, it's a fact. It doesn't mean your country won't be great and can't have fields in which they are superior. Look even in east Asia countries, ofc esp. Korea and Japan come in mind with for example their contributions to popular culture and even fields like technology but there is more.

Tbh I feel the USA has a lot of impact on Europe as well, I've always (in indirect ways) learned China is a terrible country that's super poor and had that kind of expectation. Last year I visited China and was completely shocked at how diffferent it is, obviously there is still tons of issues they have to work out esp. on social/human rights tbh and I realize there is tons of poor people as well but the country is way more modern than even the countries I've lived in and I'm referring Netherlands, Germany. It felt...futuristic? It was pretty amazing tbh, I've wanted to live in Asia ever since. I had a year excursion project in Seoul, SK but Corona...

The world should really learn to work with each other for once instead of against. And I hope in the future we won't limit ourselves just to options we consider western anymore.

Everyone was following the USA elections so thoroughly here while when I spoke about the Turkish elections, I was getting ppl rolling their eyes to me despite it being the largest minority here and there being more reason to follow.

Aka my point basically being, I'm done being so bothered with the 🇺🇸 there is more to the world.

• One gets the impression that Democrats would rather lose with an establishment figure(head) than win with a left-leaning candidate like Bernie (or even with someone who strongly opposes imperialistic wars like Tulsi).