Japan Women's NT 2021

• Best scenario for Japan is the highly probable loss to USA tomorrow but win ALL their remaining matches, and Brazil losing some of theirs to place 4th so Japan would face Turkey in the semifinals.

Any loss aside from USA is definitely an upset (like VNL 2019 against Herbots and BEL 🤭) but it would be probable with DOM, SRB, BEL. Two losses from this group would be a huge shame.

• Best scenario for Japan is the highly probable loss to USA tomorrow but win ALL their remaining matches, and Brazil losing some of theirs to place 4th so Japan would face Turkey in the semifinals.

Any loss aside from USA is definitely an upset (like VNL 2019 against Herbots and BEL 🤭) but it would be probable with DOM, SRB, BEL. Two losses from this group would be a huge shame.

I agree. Imo the match tomorrow could use a lineup switch especially among the starters given the tragic match against Brazil, their reception and block defense could fail again. The only player I wouldn't want out there is the other libero.

Then switch back to their usual starters in the match for Belgium.

• Nakada and Aihara should let Ishii be a starter in the match tom. All that waiting around in the bench is starting to make her limp. And what's with the lack of Hayashinnabe? if they truly need someone to pull through on reception, they should finally get her to sweat.

• Nakada and Aihara should let Ishii be a starter in the match tom. All that waiting around in the bench is starting to make her limp. And what's with the lack of Hayashinnabe? if they truly need someone to pull through on reception, they should finally get her to sweat.

I have noticed. This might be carry over of her dull performance last season which was way below her WC2019 vibe.

She seems fresh out of bed when deployed to the court as a sub.

• Gotta be tough for Yuki. This was , by most accounts , going to be her OG. Watching it drift away has to be harshing her mellow :S

• It's surprising to me how unwavering NakadaBunny are with the three spikers. I say stick to it. There must be something they are looking/hoping for. I'll trust it. I don't know what you folks are on about with 'reception failures'.

The Japanese Defense is not there with this group, though. Maybe they think keeping them out there will cause it to gel, but Kurogo and Ishikawa have been playing together since high school. They just are aren't defensive players. Maybe they think not confusing Momii by playing other hitters will make "super aces" of them all, but that's a risky bet.

• It's surprising to me how unwavering NakadaBunny are with the three spikers. I say stick to it. There must be something they are looking/hoping for. I'll trust it. I don't know what you folks are on about with 'reception failures'.

The Japanese Defense is not there with this group, though. Maybe they think keeping them out there will cause it to gel, but Kurogo and Ishikawa have been playing together since high school. They just are aren't defensive players. Maybe they think not confusing Momii by playing other hitters will make "super aces" of them all, but that's a risky bet.

Ishikawa and Kurogo's defense is frustrating . . . even Momii's sometimes (but I'm glad she dug well today).

Ishikawa exceeded expectations with her reception (after being punished by ZCN's aces last WC) but her width seems to be insufficient to cover her scope of defense. Kurogo, on the other hand, can be too lazy to move for a dig but mostly it's just bad reading and anticipation of the spikes (same case for Momii in the backrow but I can see that she's improving). All the teams with powerful opposite hitters are gonna swallow that sharp cross defense from Zone 1 which used to be metal with Shinnabe/Miyashita.

• Ishikawa and Kurogo's defense is frustrating . . . even Momii's sometimes (but I'm glad she dug well today).

Ishikawa exceeded expectations with her reception (after being punished by ZCN's aces last WC) but her width seems to be insufficient to cover her scope of defense. Kurogo, on the other hand, can be too lazy to move for a dig but mostly it's just bad reading and anticipation of the spikes (same case for Momii in the backrow but I can see that she's improving). All the teams with powerful opposite hitters are gonna swallow that sharp cross defense from Zone 1 which used to be metal with Shinnabe/Miyashita.

well said

when the competition kicks up a notch it could get ugly, but i’ll never say that out loud.

• Looking at the remaining 5 matches

1. USA faces JPN, TUR, POL, RUS, CHN

Magic number (USA wins and NED losses) to clinch a berth is 3.

USA at this point is all but in.

2. BRA faces GER, THA, KOR, NED, TUR

Magic number (BRA wins and NED losses) to clinch a berth is 5.

BRA should take next three easily to get their number to 2.

3. JPN faces USA, BEL, DOM, GER, SRB

Magic number (JPN wins and NED losses) to clinch a berth is 5.

JPN may need some help here as the could have difficulty with the final four games.

A NED win with a JPN loss, would put Japan behind NED.

4. TUR faces BEL, USA, NED, KOR, BRA

Magic number (TUR wins and NED losses) to clinch a berth is 5.

TUR has a bad schedule, do think that they will get two wins, against BEL & KOR.

A loss to NED could be fatal as both teams are tied on points right now, but TUR have 1 more win.

5. NED faces ITA, DOM, TUR, BRA, KOR

Elimination number (NED losses with BRA OR JPN OR TUR wins) to is 5.

NED has the back to back of TUR & BRA. One loss may see them survive, but two would be bad.

Brazil is 4 points ahead, so may not catch them, but 1 behind Japan and tied with Turkey.

Dominican is just about dead, but if China puts out their best line up, they will lose. If they lose to Netherlands the next day, they will be one loss away from elimination.

Russia is too far behind on points to really have a chance. 5 behind Japan and 4 behind Turkey and Netherlands. Brazil 8 ahead of them.

• I went over to Haight/Ashbury this afternoon to peace out with a little Ben & Jerry's on behalf of Phoenix

I'm primed to open a 3:00am can of whoop ass on Team USA :box:

• momii is also not playing today.

nakada is really over-using the toray duo. not that i mind but looking through the matches so far, they should probably give those 2 some rest. nabeya looks to be in good form. she always looks pumped

E3v2PI2VcAAqUor?format=jpg&name=small

• I perfectly understand the need to rest starters, however I just don't get why every team decides to do so when playing against the USA...Yes, most teams feel like they don't stand a chance against them anyways, but gosh, we would like to finally see a match involving them that's at least a bit competitive...

• Probably turkey will play with starters since we need to get some points to stand a chance for final 4