Japan Women's NT 2021

• There's a good chance the final 12 will be announced by tomorrow since Japan is about to enter hardcore promotional phase starting next week as per JOC's announcement along with the 10,000 spectator limit at every venue.

As expected ASICS (an official Olympic sponsor and superior brand to Mizuno) went big with a viral dance. Plus major exposure from Naomi Watanabe and actress Tao Okamoto promoting them on TV and talk shows. But they only sponsor the men's team.

Hinotori's promotional strategy is crap. JVA made it clear that they won't be prioritising the women's team because of the lack of an established "Star Ace". The only thing they have so far is SK-II's animated mess of an ad that everyone hates because like 10 of the players featured in it are already retired and they cut off Koga.

OUCH

Reality hurts

Even though I understand this: "JVA made it clear that they won't be prioritizing the women's team because of the lack of an established "Star Ace"" , I hate it deep down to my bone marrow

• Is the SKII ad an anime? a Haikyuu version? that could be good for them since anime fans will eat up anything related to Haikyuu

It's more Star Trek, or something. I don't get out a lot and have terrible taste but I watched it once and didn't find it offensive (aside from involving players no longer around, and ya know)

Wait. I do hate it

• Isn't (one of) Japan's problem(s) they don't do anything about finding and developing young talent?

Not to offend the SAGA enthusiasts here but it seems like that was their development program. Sign with Hisamitsu and we'll train you for the NT. No diversity in that. Kind of cloudy

Coach Lovebunny comes from the world of youngsters, and seems to know how to pick the good ones. He's got his hands in what's going on now but it's too late. Will be interesting to see what happens if he takes over. I also wouldn't mind JT Coach Tomoko Yoshihara. They both seem to "know players" better than Nakada, and how to use them, but I don't know.

I can think of a player or two who wouldn't be on this squad if either of them were in charge

• who? 👀

(on the men’s team they got some exciting youngsters; one of them has zero international experience and got called for the OG)

I will not name names :)

Girls have some exciting youngsters too, one with zero international experience most likely going to OG

I'm going to pretend the OG aren't real this year and this is just the first year of the Paris cycle. I find comfort in that

• Japanese player development is as follows. Stay in the domestic league. Maybe take a challenge to play overseas and do not get rewarded for playing overseas.

LOL It hasn't worked out very well for most of those who have done it , but isn't the goal: Does it improve their game?

• If it's my queen I'd rather we not fight about it because Nakada and Aihara made her go through hell:cursing: She wasn't the one who wanted to go back, she wanted to put up a cafe in Kobe but nooo they begged her

If Aihara begged her, he probably wouldn't cut her ... whoever she may be :drink:

• I was a fan of the Nakada era Hisamitsu not so much Sakai's gen. But it's true that Hisamitsu became the testing ground for NT players primarily because they were the only ones who could afford to fund every program. Nakada had a great vision particularly for setters, Koto was technically a more superior setter to Miyashita but she was also a lot older. I think that's also the reason Kano got into the NT after Nakada switched her to setter which was a revelation but far from Takeshita's level.

Nagaoka was a league superstar, every club tried to get a southpaw but failed and she's still really the only southpaw star they have.

• I was a fan of the Nakada era Hisamitsu not so much Sakai's gen. But it's true that Hisamitsu became the testing ground for NT players primarily because they were the only ones who could afford to fund every program. Nakada had a great vision particularly for setters, Koto was technically a more superior setter to Miyashita but she was also a lot older. I think that's also the reason Kano got into the NT after Nakada switched her to setter which was a revelation but far from Takeshita's level.

Nagaoka was a league superstar, every club tried to get a southpaw but failed and she's still really the only southpaw star they have.

Maybe Coach Aihara's had a hand in this all along. I haven't looked this up so it may be a mirage, but a lot/most/many of the players under his watch at Higashi Kyushu Ryukoku who went to Hisamitsu (skipping college) ended up on the NT. If they don't go to Hisamitsu they don't make the NT. Yurie Nabeya being the one exception I can think of.

Poor Hikari Kato :( She should be on the NT

• did miyashita have significant international experience prior to becoming the nt lead setter? or is her case almost the same as momii after okayama got promoted to v1 thanks to her setter conversion

• watch jva release the roster a day before the olympics :wavy: let's wait for the repeat of that china friendly match roster

Doesn't the IOC have a deadline ? (but I get your point :) )

• Maybe Coach Aihara's had a hand in this all along. I haven't looked this up so it may be a mirage, but a lot/most/many of the players under his watch at Higashi Kyushu Ryukoku who went to Hisamitsu (skipping college) ended up on the NT. If they don't go to Hisamitsu they don't make the NT. Yurie Nabeya being the one exception I can think of.

Poor Hikari Kato :( She should be on the NT

The only reason I could think of is that Nabeya's older sister works or worked for Denso's PR team.

I'm not familiar with Kato's play. If you link me a video I'll watch it. Is she Hayashi grade?

• If it's my queen I'd rather we not fight about it because Nakada and Aihara made her go through hell:cursing: She wasn't the one who wanted to go back, she wanted to put up a cafe in Kobe but nooo they begged her

Nagaoka trained in culinary on top of being a pianist as another option. I don't know to what degree but it goes to show that she had other things going on aside from playing volleyball. it must've been hard for her to say no when both her coaches teamed up to drag her back the second time. Ironically Nakada baby-ied her more than Ishii and Shinnabe but also tortured her to stay