Russia NT 2021

• Voronkova-Fedorovtseva duo looks like to be Russia's best OH duo at the moment. The former improved her reception, and the latter is vastly improving at her age and shaping up to be a super-volleyball player in the future :white: Parubets can be a purely defensive OH and play like a libero role if she is not fully recovered. (Koshe can still be useful as an offensive OH sub, or even as second Opp if it's fine with her). I would also give chances to Smirnova in VNL, she can be a good backup to Goncha.

That'd be great, but due to the limited number of players in VNL I think Busato will only test Lazareva, Goncha, and Kadochkina as Opp. Maybe Smirnova will just play in Universiade.

• Any promising left handed opp from Russia?

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Any promising left handed opp from Russia?

So far... no, but Russia has one in U18 team (a tall one) and two in U16 team (one of them is Pavlov's daughter, but she is short). Let's see how they improve.

• That'd be great, but due to the limited number of players in VNL I think Busato will only test Lazareva, Goncha, and Kadochkina as Opp. Maybe Smirnova will just play in Universiade.

yeah not even sure if Busato will call Kadochkina due to her limited playing time. He will probably call kaletskaya since he seem to favor older and more experienced players despite them playing subpar.

• what do you guys think about the chances of setter Popova making the wide roster? Obviously Romanova and Startseva are the main setters but the back-up setter is very wide because the rest are more or less on the same level. Her ball and location control is still subpar but she is aggressive and young. She plays either really good or bad and no in betweens. Matveeva is obviously even younger and have been the main setter of her team but i just dont find her game aggressive or creative enough to make difference.

• yeah not even sure if Busato will call Kadochkina due to her limited playing time. He will probably call kaletskaya since he seem to favor older and more experienced players despite them playing subpar.

Actually, Busato has already called her. I don't know if she is on her plans, though.

About Khaletskaya, I don't know if he called her, but since she wasn't on the Governor Cup there are a lot of probabilities that he didn't call her.

• what do you guys think about the chances of setter Popova making the wide roster? Obviously Romanova and Startseva are the main setters but the back-up setter is very wide because the rest are more or less on the same level. Her ball and location control is still subpar but she is aggressive and young. She plays either really good or bad and no in betweens. Matveeva is obviously even younger and have been the main setter of her team but i just dont find her game aggressive or creative enough to make difference.

I would like to see Startseva/Popova... I think Popova improved a lots since last summer and is the most exciting young setter in Russia. Matveeva is doing a decent job but is not yet good enough for the NT. I don't really like Romanova (hardly ever had a good game with the NT) but expect her to be the second setter at the olympics. Other decent setters are Filishtinskaya (she looked better than before her break), Vetrova (a bit too inconsistent) and Efimova (played really well the previous season; haven't seen her this season since she played with Severyanka).

• Talking about setters, a 22-year-old Russian player Inna Balyko was named First Team All-Big Ten, which is like the dream team of her conference (Penn State, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio State, Wisconsin, etc are part of that, so it's a strong one). Busato must call her when she ends her studies :whistle:

Here some of her tips

She represented Russia before going to the states

European Volleyball on Twitter:

• I would like to see Startseva/Popova... I think Popova improved a lots since last summer and is the most exciting young setter in Russia. Matveeva is doing a decent job but is not yet good enough for the NT. I don't really like Romanova (hardly ever had a good game with the NT) but expect her to be the second setter at the olympics. Other decent setters are Filishtinskaya (she looked better than before her break), Vetrova (a bit too inconsistent) and Efimova (played really well the previous season; haven't seen her this season since she played with Severyanka).

With Startseva's current level, I will not be surprised Romanova will actually be the team's first setter. She knows the types of balls Goncharova and Fetisova likes (Startseva-Fetisova connection is basically non-existent lol) Only advantage with Zhenya is her blocking, and with Russian NT this element is not really a problem.

• Read a recent interview with Buzato, and he was talking about the options for Goncha's backup. He seems pretty impressed with Lazareva, so high chance she will be the team's second Opp. He also mentions Gorbunova, Smirnova and even Fedorovtseva as Opp as possible options.

For VNL, Busato says his goal is not really to reach the Finals, but to create a system that will work for the Olympics. Not exactly sure what he meant by that, I'm still hoping he invites new players for VNL.

• Only advantage with Zhenya is her blocking, and with Russian NT this element is not really a problem.

If we go into details, the blocking ability is important and that's why Ryseva isn't invited. If Gamova says important then it is..

For VNL, Busato says his goal is not really to reach the Finals, but to create a system that will work for the Olympics. Not exactly sure what he meant by that, I'm still hoping he invites new players for VNL.

he literally meant by that "Russian NT was poorly coached after Karpol era". Trainer is a big factor today, so if your trainer is good then the victory is fifty percent in your pocket. Ofc, the other fifty percent depends on the skills and quality of your local players.

• wide roster of the Russian nt

S: Startseva, Romanova, Matveeva, Lazareva

Opp: Goncharova, Smirnova, Gorbunova

MB: Koroleva, Fetisova, Kotova, Efimova, Brovkina, Malygina

L: Malova, Pilipenko, Zaytseva

Oh: Parubets, Kosheleva, Voronkova, Lazareva, Fedorovtseva, Sazonova, Pipunyrova

https://volley.ru/news/2/p1/23739/

Malygina is in the nt again, this time as Mb:what: okay, let's say im okay with other positions but MB position (Malygina, Efimova, Brovkina) is strange to me. Lazarenko, Enina and Evdokimova deserved to be in the NT imo

• i don't understand the hype with kotova

She's good but is her first call in NT nad they already put her in OG

Clubs is a thing and NT is another differents

• Malygina is in the nt again, this time as Mb:what: okay, let's say im okay with other positions but MB position (Malygina, Efimova, Brovkina) is strange to me. Lazarenko, Enina and Evdokimova deserved to be in the NT imo

Enina and Evdokimova were arguably the best MBs in Final 6, wonder what happened behind the scenes for them not to be included :down: I would take Kotova as third MB, at least she can be useful as serving sub

• Lazareva the opp as setter?or she wasn't called and is another lazareva

• malgyna as MB? When was the last time she played as MB?😱 Not that she was great as opp😂

I'm surprised with Kadochkina. I thought russia was going to invest her for next OG. She is basically the future of Russia with Fedoretseva:white:

And is lazareva playing as setter or OH? Or is it a mistake in the list?

I hope Fedoretseva would make it to the final roster for OG:super:

• Malygina actually played as MB in Tula this season but not in every game.

No, it's not a mistake. Lazareva has 2 sisters , Nadya and Katya. Katya was a setter in Krasnodar (she already left the team).

As for Kadoch, she admitted that her legs were weak to be OPP and she didn't feel comfortable in this position. She is a 18 y.o girl and maybe she'll be invited next year. Ofc, instead of Gorbunova, I'd like to see Kadoch in the NT even this year but it doesn't depend on me and my wishes, it is trainer's decision, well i respect it.

• Malygina as MB? How did she fared in that position? I wonder if she'll become the next Merkulova. Tall but didn't really made a lasting impact.

• Did Anna Lazareva ever played as OH? Is she good in that position?