Brazil NT 2021

• Vibo Valentia officially communicated that club nor players had any knowledge about Douglas' departure today.

Geez, I wish FIVB would severely punish these players not respecting contracts (and the same with clubs). If he has no legit excuse like his mother is dying etc. then no respect to him as a player.

• Vibo Valentia officially communicated that club nor players had any knowledge about Douglas' departure today.

Geez, I wish FIVB would severely punish these players not respecting contracts (and the same with clubs). If he has no legit excuse like his mother is dying etc. then no respect to him as a player.

There was an American who did this (Holly Tolliver) she got banned for awhile.

• Is it fair to say that he's overwhelmed by his fame and not handling his volleyball career very well because of that? It's very easy to come to this conclusion, it's accurate? I don't know

Geez, I wish Fplayer.

:sos::sos::white::white:

• There was an American who did this (Holly Tolliver) she got banned for awhile.

I don't know her case, but just recently Taylor Sander retired from indoor volleyball without any word to his club, then didn't respond for weeks to Skra Bełchatów's questions despite having valid contract, and then he played like nothing has happened in FIVB competition on beach, and he's not even an extreme example, it happens regularly on top level (Juantorena or Simon, so best-best players, from the past), because no one cares about valid contracts. Bartosz Kurek lied to his Japanese club that he has mental problems and depression, and needs a break, just to get rid of his contract in Japan, and then signed a contract in Poland and play in Polish league soon after. Imagine something like that in serious sports. :lol:

I'll wait for conclusions in Douglas' case until he publicly explains what's going on, but if you leave your club without permission nor explanation (like Vibo Valentia states), with some shit-posting on social media about comeback you're waiting for and announce suprise for his fans <3, then I don't know what the hell does he think.

• I don't know her case, but just recently Taylor Sander retired from indoor volleyball without any word to his club, then didn't respond for weeks to Skra Bełchatów's questions despite having valid contract, and then he played like nothing has happened in FIVB competition on beach, and he's not even an extreme example, it happens regularly on top level (Juantorena or Simon, so best-best players, from the past), because no one cares about valid contracts.

I'll wait for conclusions in Douglas' case until he publicly explains what's going on, but if you leave your club without permission nor explanation (like Vibo Valentia states), with some shit-posting on social media about comeback you're waiting for and announce suprise for his fans <3, then I don't know what the hell does he think.

actually I was wrong. Tolliver was punished by an italian court, not the FIVB.

she left the club in the middle of the season, made up a reason... but then changed that reason later when the stories didnt line up

• actually I was wrong. Tolliver was punished by an italian court, not the FIVB. she left the club in the middle of the season, made up a reason... but then changed that reason later when the stories didnt line up

Ah, right, she was in Roma. Did she get any real punishment? I found an info that it was 3-month suspension by Italian court, but it sounds ridiculous considering she wasn't even playing in Italy at that time. Either way, from purely competitive perspective (there's also civil/financial perspective, and I guess you can fight that in courts for failure to comply with a contract), only FIVB via continental federations can realistically sanction players, but they don't give a crap. If they ban players like Kurek for a year or so from FIVB competitions for behaving like that, we would easily stop this bs, but they won't, it's easier to tolerate behaviour like that.

It's even more complicated considering that Douglas' team is in very awful spot right now, they'll fight for not being relegated and they have to find a replacement in December for a starting OH. Like I said, maybe somehow he has a good reason to behave like that, but if so, then why you didn't inform your club about circumstances? So I don't think I'll believe in any explanations tbh.

• Ah, right, she was in Roma. Did she get any real punishment? I found an info that it was 3-month suspension by Italian court, but it sounds ridiculous considering she wasn't even playing in Italy at that time. Either way, from purely competitive perspective (there's also civil/financial perspective, and I guess you can fight that in courts for failure to comply with a contract), only FIVB via continental federations can realistically sanction players, but they don't give a crap. If they ban players like Kurek for a year or so from FIVB competitions for behaving like that, we would easily stop this bs, but they won't, it's easier to tolerate behaviour like that.

It's even more complicated considering that Douglas' team is in very awful spot right now, they'll fight for not being relegated and they have to find a replacement in December for a starting OH. Like I said, maybe somehow he has a good reason to behave like that, but if so, then why you didn't inform your club about circumstances? So I don't think I'll believe in any explanations tbh.

afaik, she was pretty much blacklisted from teams in europe (then she did Athletes unlimited)... she signed with a club in switzerland this year... but she had to medically retire.

• If he really did leave his club unannounced just to join a reality show then that speaks volume of his character.

I hope it's not true because I was really rooting for Douglas, but perhaps fame did get to him... ||

• I want to see what Douglas has to tell… we have heard awful stories of how some foreign clubs manage their players.

But if there’s no proper reason, that’s very unprofessional of him (and I even find it weird the way he’s dealing with everything on Instagram, like updating about his upcoming lives and such…)

• Douglas posted on his Instagram saying that he talked to the club’s managers the day before taking his flight. He said that the club knew he was leaving but the contract still has to be cancelled and his agent is working on that.

He basically said he left because the experience in general wasn’t being nice and he wasn’t happy. He also said he won’t play the Superliga this season and he’s taking time to be with his family. In general, it sounded quite unprofessional to me.

• If he has no other reason to leave Italy than in general ,,being unhappy'', then yeah, it's not 'quite unprofessional' - it's throwing your teammates and club under the bus because of your mood. Especially considering that Vibo Valentia was already in pretty bad spot due to injury of Nishida, so in last game Douglas (who played dramatically) was subbed by 19yo junior playing first official game as a pro.

I'm very liberal in general in sports in analyzing players choices, regularly fans get mad across all disciplines when player X decides to switch teams just because he/she got paid more etc., sometimes their choices are just money/comfort-oriented - and for me it's natural that sportsmen are just people, so they do what's the best for themselves like casual randoms in average life.

That being said, this is so weak and against everyone around. I have no idea what did he expect.

If there's any point to defend a bit Douglas, the atmosphere around Vibo Valentia has gotten messy for few weeks now with president criticizing his team etc. That doesn't explain being a selfish spoiled brat, but I can understand why he didn't have fun in Italy. He was part of a reason why VV played like s*** tho. But it seems he didn't give a f... as soon as it turned out that playing in average Italian team in small Calabrian city isn't that sexy.

• He could've express to his club that he wasn't happy and who knows maybe they would've help make the experience better for him and his partner, but now we won't know because he already left.

I hope he really is taking time to be with his family like he says and not appearing on Big Brother Brasil that rumors suggest because that would make this situation even more messy.

Putting "#fugitiva" on his story is also childish. Douglas having fun dancing in the elevator while his partner looks tired of it all. :wacko:

rpdr-ru-pauls-drag-race.gif

• I have read that Callipo will take legal action of his abrupt departure. Let's see how this progresses. I kind of hinted from his ig posts/stories that he wasn't as chirpy as he would normally be when he arrived in this club. I think playing for a club overseas for the first time, homesickness, etc. has got something to do with this decision.

• Dec. 8 when he didn't show up to practice and ignored calls. The club had to contact Douglas through his agent to schedule a meeting with him the following day in order to find out what's going on and learned that he was planning on leaving without saying as to why. The next morning they found out through social media (of course) he and his partner had packed their belongings and was on their way back to Brazil.

It sounds like the club did try it's best to satisfy his needs. Douglas requested a new central apartment and the club gave him one. They helped fix the internet problems, which for a social media "influencer" that Douglas is now must be very important for him to be constantly online. There's only so much a club can do to help make the transition abroad better for you, after that you as the individual need to be open and understanding that things are different. Another thing was that Douglas claimed the club knew he had intentions to leave. I'm not sure talking to them a day before you leave the country counts as them knowing.

• That's very unfortunate. I was waiting for the story to unfold a bit to give my 2 cents, but it seems that more or less we can understand what happened. Douglas was homesick and decided it was in his best interest just to leave. At this point, I think he's ok putting his career as a volleyball player in 2nd place. It's a pity, because he's so young and full of potential. Maybe he feels that it doesn't matter how hard he tries, Renan just won't give him a chance in the NT starter time while having Leal and Lucarelli, but the truth is, at least in the international clubs scenario, he barely started to present himself, and he definitely didn't leave a good first impression.

Whether he goes to Big Brother or not, we'll only know that in late January, which is when the show starts, because contestants are not allowed to anticipate that they'll be on it. But as of right now I think it's a bigger question if the show wants him than if he's willing to go, even if it risks his participation in the WCH later in 2022. I think Douglas is ready to sign with which ever team he finds in Brazil for the next few years while he starts transitiong careers.

I feel for his team, though, specially since they had already lost Nishida. Hopefully they are still able to avoid relegation.

• It’s now pretty clear that Douglas just left before reaching any mutual agreement with the team. What Douglas claimed was simply trying to put the responsibility to his agent and hoping that they’d help him to deal with the club to cancel the contract.

This is so unprofessional and selfish to put his team & teammates in such position (which 2 of his teammates are even his NT teammates). It’s never easy to play overseas, but homesickness or unhappiness in a new environment is not an excuse to break your contract and escape like that. And in fact he already had much easier life than most others to start his career in overseas, having his boyfriend to be with him, and half of the starting 6 of his team are from Brazil NT.

I wonder what actions FIVB will take after investigations in this case.