2024 Paris Olympic Games

• In Italy there is a clear junior-senior problem. Junior girls win World Championship and European Championship medals and disappear somewhere in their clubs. They don't develop. One Egonu is not enough. What's going on with Pietrini? What's going on with Fahr and Danesi? Where are the class setters? So many questions and no answers...

• Ok, but it's the fault of the Italian training system that there haven't been 2-3 good setters since lo Bianco. How many junior medals have Italians and Polish women won in the last 10 years? So I wonder where are the people who won these medals? One Wołosz is ok, but there should be dozens of people like Wenerska in the Italian league. The entire system is broken and needs to be changed. 20 years ago there was a better performance in Ita, because there was lo Bianco, Cacciattori, Ferretti, and now who is it?

The setter problem is actually a false problem...

With the sole exception of Poulter, the world's top setters are all over thirty and there are too many fingers on one hand to count... Wenerska herself is 30 years old...

I am absolutely convinced that Italy's problem is not the setter: Turkey does not have better setters and, except for Serbia (when Maja plays), neither do our other competitors...

Italy's problems are much more complex than this and even sending home Mazzanti (who deserves it) I don't think it will improve if there isn't the desire to re-establish the system...

• But the strange thing is that Lavarini made a terrible impression in Novara... There was no atmosphere there. Bosetti was like that in every match, it was like a punishment.

Maybe he stumbled a bit too much in the last two seasons, but to be honest he was asked to win with a team that became less and less competitive both in 2021-2022 and 2022-2023. He's doing well in Poland and did a bloody good job with South Korea

• disagree, we lost against Thailand because of our focus at the beggining of sets

I played a little bit and believe me sometimes opponent team is playing over standard level. Additionally everbody incl. players expects win, you make few mistakes and suddenly other team is very dangerous till the end. Thailand is not bad and has always well defence. Polish team doesn't like to play against them, Japan and Dominican Rep.

• In Italy there is a clear junior-senior problem. Junior girls win World Championship and European Championship medals and disappear somewhere in their clubs. They don't develop. One Egonu is not enough. What's going on with Pietrini? What's going on with Fahr and Danesi? Where are the class setters? So many questions and no answers...

What are you talking about Danes and Fahr ??

Fahr is amazing MB. She is gone be in top 3 MBs in the World this season if She can be healthy. She proved herself already.

She didn’t play with NT this season because of Mazzanti.

• i am not sure about it, you still have great players with experience and brand

I don't know, maybe on paper but what I'm seeing is a team that is just drained, both mentally and physically. We have to play with Sylla and Danesi, both of them completely spent after an infinite international season, because there's no others to put in, Pietrini had flu and she's far from being at her best, Antropova is too green for this kind of matches yet, the setters aren't just good enough to fix our passing problems. Oh, and don't forget Mazzanti is our coach and FIPAV is more interested in its internal games of power rather than fix the s*** we have to deal with.

• That's a very strong statement...

I don't agree. If Poland played this game with Wolosz, they would lose. A diverse setter should be able to set different style of games but Wolosz simply can't.

Wolosz did self sacrifice for her team but the problem is her ego. She simply doesn't wanna change the tempo. Cooling the tempo down on her sets to especially to Sytsiak is a must but she refuses. Maybe Lavarini should control it but he is not capable of, like Gui's management of Maja's distribution. It's super hard to manage super star setters. At least Lavarini made the correct thing to let Wenerska play.

• I don't agree. If Poland played this game with Wolosz, they would lose. A diverse setter should be able to set different style of games but Wolosz simply can't.

Wolosz did self sacrifice for her team but the problem is her ego. She simply doesn't wanna change the tempo. Cooling the tempo down on her sets to especially to Sytsiak is a must but she refuses. Maybe Lavarini should control it but he is not capable of, like Gui's management of Maja's distribution. It's super hard to manage super star setters. At least Lavarini made the correct thing to let Wenerska play.

Every star has a big ego, e.g. Lewandowski in the football team.

• This was another game which showed that wolosz is very limited setter who can set one style of volleyball. (And she is amazing in that style but that's all)

All kudos to wenerska.

Agree with this very much. She could be great in a club (and she is indeed) because a club can build a team around her by transferring specific type of players that could work with Wolosz. However, in a NT, she needs to make the best out of the players she get but this is not her thing. She is one trick pony for me. Ass you said, she is very good at that trick though.

I hope lavarini will finally understand this and use Wenerska as starter setter of this team from now on

• If Germany beats 3:0 or 3:1 Italy, than Poland and USA are going to Paris ?!

• The setter problem is actually a false problem...

With the sole exception of Poulter, the world's top setters are all over thirty and there are too many fingers on one hand to count... Wenerska herself is 30 years old...

I am absolutely convinced that Italy's problem is not the setter: Turkey does not have better setters and, except for Serbia (when Maja plays), neither do our other competitors...

Italy's problems are much more complex than this and even sending home Mazzanti (who deserves it) I don't think it will improve if there isn't the desire to re-establish the system...

In my opinion it`s a problem, because at best Orro's waist doesn`t interfere with the game and lo Bianco made a difference compared to her rivals. For sure, Orro isn't the only and main problem with this team but he doesn't help either. I agrees that the Italian training system worked better in the early 21st century than it does now. Back then there was a better league and more Italians played in leading clubs, e.g. Foppa Bergamo in 2007-2010: 6/7 volleyball players in one team, there were Italians + once German - Furst. And then Bergamo won the Champions League for severals times. How many Italian players was playing in the Italian Congeliano's first team in the previous season? 1, 2? It`s a real problem...

• The setter problem is actually a false problem...

Anyone would pick Cansu and Elif over Orro and Bosio

• Talking as a "ex-setter", it is really difficult to change your technique/style if you've played like that for years tho :whistle: I think I remember Dijkema saying in her podcast (last year?) that Selinger wanted her to set differently technique-wise, but she was like, I've been setting for so many years, this is not something I can change in a few trainings :rolll: old habits die hard I guess haha

I do agree that Wolosz works better with Imoco because as Serdar says, they can build the team around her. But for NT it's always good to have 2/3 setters that have different strengths so you can use the one most necessary at each time :heart: and Poland did a great job today with changing their setter!

• Talking as a "ex-setter", it is really difficult to change your technique/style if you've played like that for years tho :whistle: I think I remember Dijkema saying in her podcast (last year?) that Selinger wanted her to set differently technique-wise, but she was like, I've been setting for so many years, this is not something I can change in a few trainings :rolll: old habits die hard I guess haha

I do agree that Wolosz works better with Imoco because as Serdar says, they can build the team around her. But for NT it's always good to have 2/3 setters that have different strengths so you can use the one most necessary at each time :heart: and Poland did a great job today with changing their setter!

What do you think about Kim Staelens? She was the best setter in Dutch history?