Olympic Qualification Tournaments - Paris 2024

• Perfect example of how much useless this tournament is. Italy will qualify by ranking, EVENTUALLY (no doubt), but right now is totally out of shape (because they peaked at ECH), but they're forced to play in october another long tournament after VNL and ECH and exposing their players to injuries. Same for Poland and the others. 1 possible huge upset (Belgium) doesn't justify the existence of this tournament. The other (Germany) is just one team from the tier-2 teams taking the ticket now and not at the end of the 2024 VNL. And I don't want to steal any credit from Germany and Belgium, but their results are also helped by the other teams being totally out of shape right now; Grozer, for example, looks like Mazinga Z right now, after resting for a injury during the ECH. One and half upset out of 24 teams playing the OGs are not worth this qualification tournaments.

I can easily predict a very bad start of club season thanks to FIVB crazy schedule.

I can't disagree more. 2 out of 12 tickets are surprisingly taken by teams via this tournament, which justifies necessity of this tournament. leaving qualification to vnl 2024 is a VERY bad idea since in that case you let other top teams' decide who will qualify and who won't because they can decide which roster they will use at every week of VNL. Belgium wouldn't be able to qualify without this tournament and Germany's qualification would have been at risk too. Top teams should rotate their players to handle multiple tournaments like Turkish Female NT did for instance

• Yeah, the sense of OQTs is to give teams like Germany (crappy NT for at least two seasons) additional shot to make it to the Olympics on behalf of the players' health. Fortunately in the next cycle we will stop this madness (at least to some degree).

Well they are definitely not crappy now😉these mid level teams should get their chances too. And please stop treating players as if they are glass-made dolls. The coaches should have rotated their players to keep the team level competitive, they knew that this was the schedule from the beginning

• It's heart broken for Belgium, one step away from Olympic...:huh:

Canada is lucky to secure another spot in pool C. Even Canada's second team could beat Mexico.

• Belgium…:gone::gone::gone:

Bulgaria is like, we have no chance to the Olympics but we have to ruin your dream as well by all means

Bulgaria had no pressure in this game, while Belgium's nerve killed themselves. You can not expect the mercy from your opponent. You have to fight for yourselves.

• Poor Belgium, this could have been their second OG :flower: I read in the Belgian news report that in set 3 MB Coolman got injured, I think his presence and experience really brought the team something extra compared to ECH. There's still a lot of talent in the team to continue with, so hopefully we can still see them at Olympics in 4 or 8 years.

Now let's go Canada, at least one of these two teams deserved to make it! :super:

• World Ranking/Qualifying after Matchday 7, CAN-MEX

Listing who can still play in 2024 to qualify on points

Let alone pool standings

BOLD would get VOQ spots

1. POL (CEV best) Pool C 1st, QUALIFIED

2. USA (NORCECA best) Pool B 1st, QUALIFIED

3. ITA 2024 VNL

4. JPN (Asia best) Pool B 2nd, QUALIFIED

5. BRA (South America best) 2024 VNL, Pool A 2nd

6. ARG 2024 VNL

7. SLO 2024 VNL

8. FRA (Olympic Host) 2024 VNL

9. SRB 2024 VNL

—— Projected Cut Line ——

10. GER 2024 VNL, Pool A 1st, QUALIFIED

11. CUB 2024 VNL

12. CAN Pool C 2nd, QUALIFIED

13. NED 2024 VNL

14. IRI 2024 VNL

15. TUR 2024 VNL

17. BEL

18. EGY (Africa best)

19. BUL 2024 VNL

25. TUN

• POOL A SCENARIOS

BRA WIN, CLINCH with 6 WINS

ITA WIN IN <5 SETS, all but CLINCH, with points ratio, still ahead there.

ITA WIN IN 5, CUB WIN 3-0 OR 3-1, CUB CLINCH ON POINTS 15, BRA & ITA at 14, ALL TIED ON 5 WINS

ITA WIN IN 5, CUB WIN IN 5, ITA & CUB TIE ON SETS RATIO, BUT ITALY HAVE POINTS RATIO TIEBREAKER(ITA +54, CUB +17)

• Okay, scrappy schedule (for everyone), probably some psychological stuff that the top teams are qualified anyway, blabla whatever.

Still absolutely astonishing how Germany dominated its group and actually never was even close to a loose a match against these opponents in pretty much full strength on paper. It`s just a qualification tournament but imo a similar upset like what Grman basketball team achieved this year.

• China 1-1 Poland

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• Italy is playing really bad till now.

Even Bruninho bad sets are not enough to help Italy

• It is really so sad to see so many teams and players completely all burned out and drained. Physically and psychologically. I remember that some years ago some famous players criticised FIVB for the calendar, but so far, the calendar is even worse. Pre-Olympic years are always super demanding, but I dont remember any like this. Some players are training/playing almost non stop since May :(

And the club season is just around the corner...

Sure, kudos to Germany and Canada (both surprises to some extend, especially Germany). For the top teams, sometimes they looked as they were playing to avoid injuries. Cuz at it was already said, they know they'll qualify anyway. And sometimes it is difficult to find motivation when you are already exhausted.

• I think that OQT should have but as the last resource to Olympics. Teams who don’t play VNL had almost no chance by ranking.

For Los Angeles I would just change 1 spot by ranking to an OQT with the best 8 teams yet not qualified.

• Italy is playing really bad till now.

Even Bruninho bad sets are not enough to help Italy

Bruno performance during the whole summer has been shaky, but during this OQT :gone: I havent seen him setting so bad to the pins in years, even from Beijing times.

Regarding Brazil in general, I dont know if not earning a direct ticket to Paris would be a cons...cuz I highly doubt Renan will be changed if they get it today.

• I think that OQT should have but as the last resource to Olympics. Teams who don’t play VNL had almost no chance by ranking.

For Los Angeles I would just change 1 spot by ranking to an OQT with the best 8 teams yet not qualified.

This would make some sense.

I still prefer to give all the spots by ranking. VNL teams are the best, so realistically I don't see the any problem with giving all the spots to them + african representative.

You want to play the OGs? Earn you place into the elite by winning the zonal tournament (European Golden League, AVC Cup and so on) and the Volleyball Challenger Cup. Then play VNL and prove you belong to the OGs level.

You have 5 confederations, and a host, you can't do top 8. You are going to get 6 teams.

I would prefer the confederation qualification tournaments first, this way you have competitive matches to qualify.

If they used the continental championships before this VOQ, I think that it would work better.

• Why cant Renan try Lukas Bergmann? He always tries Adriano but not Lukas

• If Brazil loses this can they qualify via highest ranking/VNL 2024?

• You have 5 confederations, and a host, you can't do top 8. You are going to get 6 teams.

I would prefer the confederation qualification tournaments first, this way you have competitive matches to qualify.

If they used the continental championships before this VOQ, I think that it would work better.

I was trying to say that VOQ won’t happen for 2028. 5 continental champions + Host + 3 better teams in World tournament + 3 spots by ranking. I would take 1 spot from ranking and put an VOQ with just 1 spot.

But FIVB did what players ask a lot. Less games.