Olympic Qualification Tournaments - Paris 2024

• Renan Will be no longer be head coach of BRA NT :drink:

He (Renan) said that.

• Many people like the superation story of short players. And of course, Honorato has improved a lot during the last years, even going beyond his limits. But I dont think he is starting NT material for a team with the ambitious of Brazil.

More than improve, Bruninho should find his former shape. That would be enough. He has been setting so many "jacas" during this tournament. While Thales sometimes have good matches as tonight, but others he is hole in defence.

Renan should (MUST) try as many OHs during the VNL. Regarding Douglas, he can continue his path as influencer. It is almost impossible he will come back.

you are 100% sure!

for sure Honorato is far from Brazil standards. Imo he can develop to became a good defensive OH and could help Brazil as 4th OH.

• you are 100% sure!

for sure Honorato is far from Brazil standards. Imo he can develop to became a good defensive OH and could help Brazil as 4th OH.

he is like the Pri Daroit of the Women's NT lol

So Bernardhino returns as coach? or they want someone new Marcos Miranda?

• he is like the Pri Daroit of the Women's NT lol

So Bernardhino returns as coach? or they want someone new Marcos Miranda?

Pri Daroit is way better and import than Honorato IMO.

I have no idea about coach. Bernardo is ‘back’ in CBV as kind of manager of Men’s volleyball program (senior and Youth). I guess a 1 year deal would be not much to ask to Bernardinho.

but CBV chose Renan when we could have Marcelo Mendez… lol só who knows!

• Qualifying with ranking in both men's and women's isn't optimal but can be still manageable, especially if the call-ups in the various pools will be interchangeable on a large roster as it has been this year. If FIVB will put limits on call-ups in the pools, then it might get more complicated.

So, trying to look at the situation as a glass half-full, maybe missing the direct qualification will teach us how to improve the management of the team and broaden even more the pool of players. Plus, getting in there as outsiders may be better, considering how much we struggled with both teams under pressure. I shouldn't get ahead of myself though, let's wait until we're sure of the qualification.

• BRA needs to find an OH2 to play alongside Lucarelli.

We just need to pray for Bruninho and Thales improve because their positions on NT are locked.

Alexandre Elias.

Maique is overrated, expecially on this forum. If Thales can't reach the level he had few years ago, it's time to rise and shine for Ale. He has also signed for the top brazilian club this season (Sada).

Bruninho will improve eventually. He's 37, of course his level dropped after 5 exhausting months with NT. He's usually better than this with Modena, far better.

• Qualifying with ranking in both men's and women's isn't optimal but can be still manageable, especially if the call-ups in the various pools will be interchangeable on a large roster as it has been this year. If FIVB will put limits on call-ups in the pools, then it might get more complicated.

So, trying to look at the situation as a glass half-full, maybe missing the direct qualification will teach us how to improve the management of the team and broaden even more the pool of players. Plus, getting in there as outsiders may be better, considering how much we struggled with both teams under pressure. I shouldn't get ahead of myself though, let's wait until we're sure of the qualification.

The only position where Italy can change something are S and MBs. It didn’t happen this summer because Giannelli is Giannelli (cover boy of the team) and Anzani was out. Just to make it clear how important Giannelli is for the fans: they felt scammed and protested in the social media when Janusz won his very well deserved best setter award at ECH (he was the real MVP to me).

The starting OHs and and OPP are just on a whole different level than their back ups. I'm not sure about the libero, but Balaso had just a weak game (Poland, ECH final) and it showed how much this guy is important for the team.

• The only position where Italy can change something are S and MBs. It didn’t happen this summer because Giannelli is Giannelli (cover boy of the team) and Anzani was out. Just to make it clear how important Giannelli is for the fans: they felt scammed and protested in the social media when Janusz won his very well deserved best setter award at ECH (he was the real MVP to me).

The starting OHs and and OPP are just on a whole different level than their back ups. I'm not sure about the libero, but Balaso had just a weak game (Poland, ECH final) and it showed how much this guy is important for the team.

Don't get me wrong, I'm well aware that the blanket is short, but both in this tournament and during the EC we could've let guys like Sbertoli, Rinaldi, Bottolo, Bovolenta (just to name a few) play in matches against weaker opponents, relieving a little bit the starters. Another thing that really stumped us was the unavailability of both Anzani and Russo.

• Don't get me wrong, I'm well aware that the blanket is short, but both in this tournament and during the EC we could've let guys like Sbertoli, Rinaldi, Bottolo, Bovolenta (just to name a few) play in matches against weaker opponents, relieving a little bit the starters. Another thing that really stumped us was the unavailability of both Anzani and Russo.

From half of may to half of october is 5 full months of NT season. This is insane. I agree De Giorgi could rest more the starters, but lets be honest: only Poland can afford the rotation of players without losing a lot of quality. I would point my finger to FIVB and their crazy schedule. We should be all grateful to all the players on court during this months. In the last years they used to protest for far lighter schedule. I don't know how can they play 12 months no stop.

• From half of may to half of october is 5 full months of NT season. This is insane. I agree De Giorgi could rest more the starters, but lets be honest: only Poland can afford the rotation of players without losing a lot of quality. I would point my finger to FIVB and their crazy schedule. We should be all grateful to all the players on court during this months. In the last they used to protest for far lighter schedule. I don't know how can they play 12 months no stop.

The problem is De Giorgi played with starters even in completely safe and meaningless games (the end of the 1st phase of VNL, games against Macedonia, Estonia, Germany or Switzerland at the ECH, Qatar or Ukraine without Plotnitskiy here) - yeah, he's not at fault about the whole schedule thing, but he was well-aware of how difficult this year will be and decided to play with Romano from the beginning of VNL to the end as a starter without a break.

Italy has no depth similar to Poland, but still having Sbertoli, Bovolenta, Rinaldi, Bottolo is above average depth for 'average' VNL team, and I don't think there was a coach who played with his starters that much.

• The problem is De Giorgi played with starters even in completely safe and meaningless games (the end of the 1st phase of VNL, games against Macedonia, Estonia, Germany or Switzerland at the ECH, Qatar or Ukraine without Plotnitskiy here) - yeah, he's not at fault about the whole schedule thing, but he was well-aware of how difficult this year will be and decided to play with Romano from the beginning of VNL to the end as a starter without a break.

Italy has no depth similar to Poland, but still having Sbertoli, Bovolenta, Rinaldi, Bottolo is above average depth for 'average' VNL team, and I don't think there was a coach who played with his starters that much.

Of course, De Giorgi has his part of responsability. As I said, I only see Sbertoli and the the third middle (when Anzani will be back) as real alternatives.

We still don't know if this team can afford playing with Balaso (Scanferla may be ready IMHO). And among the OHs I only see Rinaldi as real alternative (but still far from the starters' level).

• Okay I know this is a dead horse, but, in the event Russia is allowed to play VNL next year (tho very unlikely), will they get a chance to compete for Olympic ticket? Or will their current ranking prevent them to?

• Germany Triumph in Rio de Janeiro is the same suprise as Women's Germany in OGQT 2004 in Baku.

Now question- Winiarski knew what He was doing whole season or such result suprised Him also?

• Germany Triumph in Rio de Janeiro is the same suprise as Women's Germany in OGQT 2004 in Baku.

Now question- Winiarski knew what He was doing whole season or such result suprised Him also?

He's a good coach IMHO.

Germany is always a very annoying opponent when they have all their players available.

It doesn't come as a huge surprise to me. They dropped some points after ECH, because they missed Grozer and could not play their best volleyball, so their results weren't the best, but I expected them to be one of the tier-2 teams fighting for a spots.

• World Ranking after Olympic Qualifying

Listing who can still play in 2024 to qualify on points

1. POL (CEV best) QUALIFIED

2. USA (NORCECA best) QUALIFIED

3. ITA 2024 VNL, 342 points

4. JPN (Asia best) QUALIFIED

5. BRA (South America best) QUALIFIED

6. ARG 2024 VNL, 314 points

7. SLO 2024 VNL, 307 points

8. FRA QUALIFIED AS HOST

9. SRB 2024 VNL, 253 points

—— Projected Cut Line ——

10. GER 2024 QUALIFIED

11. CUB 2024 VNL, 237 points

12. CAN QUALIFIED

13. NED 2024 VNL, 214 points

14. TUR 2024 VNL, 211 points

15. IRI 2024 VNL, 208 points

18. EGY (Africa best)

20. BUL 2024 VNL, 160 points

Remember it will be a combination of points gained and points lost in VNL, but you only have 12 matches, plus the finals round.

Essentially if you finish with 6 wins and 6 loses, you should not gain or lose points in theory.

Italy being 89 points ahead of Serbia, should be in.

Argentina at 61 points ahead of Serbia, should be in.

Slovenia at 54 points ahead of Serbia, should be in.

Serbia's gap to Cuba is 17 points, really, 1 loss and 1 Cuba win away.

Serbia's gap to Netherlands is 39 points, 2 losses and 2 Netherlands wins away.

Turkey and Iran are just a little farther away.

Bulgaria at 160 points are 93 points behind and that just impossible, unless they sweep the entire tournament with 15 straight wins.

• There is no such a thing as a 15 straight wins. Only 12 games total, cut will be done before VNL finals, right after regular games of VNL.

He's a good coach IMHO.

Germany is always a very annoying opponent when they have all their players available.

It doesn't come as a huge surprise to me. They dropped some points after ECH, because they missed Grozer and could not play their best volleyball, so their results weren't the best, but I expected them to be one of the tier-2 teams fighting for a spots.

Maybe because I’m Polish I will deny that Winiarski is a good coach. He is decent and has some prospects to be top coach but that all at the moment.
    As now for me Germany won mostly thanks to Grozer’s comeback and he was the main factor. Whole summer Germany was painful to watch so it doesn’t make a positive feeling about Winiarski. Of course the end result with the qualies makes whole picture a bit curved.

Germany 2004 was already ECH medalist and very experienced team with previous OG appearances.

• I agree. Winiarski was subpar at best until Grozer joined the team. Grozer has limited time left with the team and even when he is in the squad, you cannot expect him to perform as good as he did this past week. They did deserve it.

• Just like with the women's NT season, I have made a nice overview of how this summer went for each country (that participated in OQT). I compared their current ranking points (and rank) vs how it was before VNL (at the OQT draw), and before OQT itself. Let's see what happened!

OQT

As we all know, some teams lost a lot of valuable ranking points and #rank in this tournament. Whereas for Mexico (-37,2; 13 spots), Tunisia (-32,45; 7 spots) and Qatar (-32,18; 4 spots) it might be due to being a lower-ranked team, two other teams stood out in a negative way. Both Iran (-35,73; 4 spots) and NL (-32,1; 3 spots) were seeded as 4th in their group, but somehow managed to lose the majority of their matches and basically threw away their chances at qualifying for Paris :hit:

Luckily, there were also some highlights! The main one being Germany, with a perfect 7/7 score rising 6 spots (+59,43). Belgium climbed 5 spots (+27,72) and Bulgaria even 10 (+27,87). Finland also has +5 spots (+10,83) and Cuba & Canada only went up 1 place, even though they gained around 25 points.

Whole summer

It won't be surprising that among the teams who lost most points are Iran and Mexico (both around 56/58). Maybe more surprising is France, who somehow lost 61,60 points during VNL and ECH?! Other teams with a notable negative point difference are Brazil, China, Tunisia and Italy. Despite NL's horrible OQT, they end the season with "only" -13,49 points and exactly the same 13th place rank as they started with :rolll:

The biggest ranking jumps this summer are for Germany (+7), USA, Belgium, Qatar (+4), Japan, Czechia, Bulgaria, Canada (3). In the end, the majority of the teams managed to gain points over the summer instead of losing them, so let's stay positive!

Which countries are you most surprised about? And which teams are you most looking forward to for next summer to see them grow? :super: