Italian Women's NT 2023

• This doesn't explain why he called two ridiculous setters like Gennari and Morello...

He refuses to call Signorile which is perhaps thes best Italian setter imo, who else is there to call? Besides he has always expressed he thinks Morello is talented and Gennari has always been called up in the past 2 years for the wider roster so no surprises

• He refuses to call Signorile which is perhaps thes best Italian setter imo, who else is there to call? Besides he has always expressed he thinks Morello is talented and Gennari has always been called up in the past 2 years for the wider roster so no surprises

Morello is not talented... Gennari is low profile... Is Cambi worse than them? I say no... Di Iulio is not a phenomenon, but Scandicci is having a great season with her... And I could tell you others that are better prospects...

• Morello is not talented... Gennari is low profile... Is Cambi worse than them? I say no... Di Iulio is not a phenomenon, but Scandicci is having a great season with her... And I could tell you others that are better prospects...

Mmm. Scandicci isnt having a great season. With that roster they should be the main contender even over Conegliano but that's not the case. And De Lulio is partly responsible for that. She only plays bc she's Italian and foreign MBs are much better than Italian MBs at Scandicci.

In my eyes, Gennari over De Lulio and Cambia. Morelly has been called up bc he thinks she's a good young prospect. At least, I think that was the logic.

• Morello is not talented... Gennari is low profile... Is Cambi worse than them? I say no... Di Iulio is not a phenomenon, but Scandicci is having a great season with her... And I could tell you others that are better prospects...

Cambi did a bad season with firenze and novara,fi iulio so average and not NT material

Gennari did a good season with bergamo and morello well she's young,talented and with potential

• I haven't watched the Pool Promozione but just checked the stats and you're right!! Also she doesnt seem to be a bad passer either! Are they trying to convert her to an OH? I will riot if they do. Or is it because an OH is injured?

From what I understand her current coach thinks she could do well as OH too, so decided to give her some playing time in different roles in the last few games as they were basically friendlies (Sassuolo was out of the run from the playoffs for a while). I don't think they're actively trying to switch her position, unless she decides to

Malual and Frosini are fine. It's good that he called them but he also should've called Nicolletti. I mean her past in the blue is bad but we all deserve other chances. But also wth is Gardini???? He chose D'Odorico over Gardini? Sofia is already 27 and won't improved. Gardini is the future, especially considering we don't have top tier OH in abundance.

You have absolutely right about Gardini. Italy has so many players and sometimes I forgot some of then.

Also about Odorico 😱😱😱😱😱.

I am really in shock. I never looked her age and I believed that she is around 20. The fact that she take a call in 27 in this shape is ridiculous.

I know that it is not going to happen but in OH position right now Villani and Omoruy absolutely deserve a call from the main roster for different reasons of course.

But I don't think that Mazzanti will leave Sylla out unfortunately .

Also I remember that somebody said that Antropova can receive decently. Is this true?? It could be great if it is.

• It was Barbolini who said that. So did Mazzanti. I mean Antropova is on the right path to becoming an elite opposite but I guess Italy could do what Russia did with Gamova and Goncharova, with the latter playing OH. Though Sokolova and Malova (now Podkopaeva) covered most of the court for serve receive

• isn't that a stretch? she's doing well but nowhere near elite level as an opp. still rooting for her to do better though

She is, without a doubt, among the best 10 O's in the world...

In the gym and outside she is a tireless worker and devours volleyball: soon we won't be talking about elite 4, Boskovic, Egonu, Haak and Vargas (I put them in strict alphabetical order, then you decide), but about Elite 5...

• isn't that a stretch? she's doing well but nowhere near elite level as an opp. still rooting for her to do better though

Tell me of a young OPP with more potential than Antropova to become an elite player? She's already the best OPP of the Italian league hands down.

She's yet to prove at a NT level but if Melissa is already considered top without having played such tournaments (granted she's player Norcecas and PanAm cups and I think the 2014 WCH but that was before her injury and she was quite young!)

Tell me of a young OPP with more potential than Antropova to become an elite player? She's already the best OPP of the Italian league hands down.

She's yet to prove at a NT level but if Melissa is already considered top without having played such tournaments (granted she's player Norcecas and PanAm cups and I think the 2014 WCH but that was before her injury and she was quite young!)

Generally I do not understand why NT is so overrated.

The players do not need to prove themselves in NT season to consider them elit.

The truth is that the TOP volleyball level is only among the top clubs and you are top if you can play in this level not matter what happens in NT.

If Haak plays better and destroys Boskovic and Paola in club season that means that she is better even if the duo is going to be Olympic MVP.

So Antropova she has a lot things to do but already has prove herself with Scandicci. She is among the best

( I know that this is a little bit out of topic but always I wanted to say)

• Then you are in a small minority in volleyball fandom holding that opinion. Think about the greatest and most famous players of all time: Mireya Luis, Lang Ping, Regla Torres, Sheilla Castro, Lyuba Sokolova, Ekaterina Gamova, Francesca Piccinini etc. Nobody really gives a fuck what they did on the club level, especially with the passage of time. Ten or more years after the retirement, the only think most will talk about are their NT achievements, and what they did internationally. It will be close to only thing defining their legacy and their standing on the all-time great lists and rankings.

And that is why (since you have brought a very interesting case study of Haak), the Big Swede, if a miracle doesn't occur and her NT doesn't become relevant internationally, for the most part won't be mentioned in lists such as the one I just gave, long after she retires, no matter how high her peak nor how much she achieved on the club level.

• NT and club is incomparable.

Its not just popularity and thing that nobody will remember who won CL in 2015 for example.

But players in their focus in focus in NT jersey, pressure that come with that.

We still need to see how Vargas will manage that pressure, is not the same to be blocked in semi finals of CL where 500k people watching and in semi of ECH when the whole country watch and all of them will remember.

• I hate the way Signorille has been ignored for all these years, meanwhile Italy has relying in some average setters since Leo stoped.

• I make my case that Antropova is the best OPP of the league since the playoffs. Look at Haak stats and Antropova's stats. That's not to say she's better than Haak rn. She's still not there but soon hopefully.

Since the playoffs started (all played four matches)

oops i forgot blocks and aces. ill edit those in

Haak: 65-13-138 (47%, 37.7 efficient), 4 blocks, 2 aces

Antropova: 57-17-128 (44%, 31.3 efficient), 11 blocks, 8 aces

Thompson: 82-21-172 (48%, 35.5 efficient), 6 blocks, 2 aces

Karakurt: 56-31-143 (39%, 17.5% efficient), 6 blocks, 4 aces