Italian Women's NT 2023

• As expected the situation is so desperate that rumors about Velasco taking over are already spreading. I don't know if there's any truth to those and to be honest I don't believe he's the cure-all we're searching for, but if someone is really going to take over (and I'm still very doubtful about it), whoever he or she will be got to be sure to do lay the foundations properly going forward.

• Even with new coach, what’s the chance of Egonu and MDG coming back? I heard rumors that federation insisted on younger libero and it’s not even rumor anymore that federation isn’t fan of Egonu either.

It really is unenvius situation.

How will Bosetti, Egonu and MDG get along with players that didn’t raise their voices over the way they were treated by Mazzanti. Moreover there are players who seem to have enjoyed Mazzanti’s system and embraced it like Bosio who shared “trust the proccess” on instagram, and I guess more who were okay with situation. With already ongoing bad blood between some players from before this would need some serious work put by both federation and new coach to solve.

• Im sure Egonu wants Olympic gold and she wouldn’t care much if this girl or that one will be in NT. If she wouldn’t care she wouldn’t have played ECH as this is currently non important tournament but she still was on the roster.

• I would prefer Barbolini but let's not kid ourselves that someone will lay some foundations within one year. Until 2024 you have to base on what is now - that is, bring back the best players to the team and try to get the best out of them.

Of course we have to lay the foundations, otherwise we'll get through this mess over and over again. So, first of all, we need to get the right people (federation, staff and players). Then we get them to work together and show them what to do leading by example. Lastly, we get them to put in the effort and measure the result of their effort. That's what I would call a "process".

Even with new coach, what’s the chance of Egonu and MDG coming back? I heard rumors that federation insisted on younger libero and it’s not even rumor anymore that federation isn’t fan of Egonu either.

It really is unenvius situation.

How will Bosetti, Egonu and MDG get along with players that didn’t raise their voices over the way they were treated by Mazzanti. Moreover there are players who seem to have enjoyed Mazzanti’s system and embraced it like Bosio who shared “trust the proccess” on instagram, and I guess more who were okay with situation. With already ongoing bad blood between some players from before this would need some serious work put by both federation and new coach to solve.

FIPAV is in no position to impose anything. Not anymore. Regarding the so called working bees, I won't pay too much attention on what it's posted on social media. The truth is 90% of them won't make a future roster based on purely technical skills.

• I advise you to watch Cuba or China in OG2004/2008. Cuban serves and spikes were dominant at the time, while with China you can barely see where the ball is going as everything was happening so fast.

Thanks to legend Feng Kun 😍

• 2004 This is Karpol's last year working with the Rus team. Russia came close to winning Olympic gold in Athens. From what I remember, Russia was already leading 2-0 against China in the final and lost 2-3?

Correct. And it was the first real volleyball game I've ever watched and I fell in love after the thrill of such a great game with so many iconic players and started to join school team that year. I've watched that game way too many times afterwards 🙈😂

• Correct. And it was the first real volleyball game I've ever watched and I fell in love after the thrill of such a great game with so many iconic players and started to join school team that year. I've watched that game way too many times afterwards 🙈😂

Then Russia went for Italian coaches: Caprara. He won gold at the World Championships with Russia in 2006 but he didn't win any medals at the Olympics. What's more: he regularly lost to Italy at Euro and WGP.

• 2004 Russia without Godina, because of her conflict with Karpol. :|

I remember that the Italians played very well in Athens 2004 but unfortunately they lost after a very fierce match against Cuba in the 1/4. Those olympics games were very good for Italian sports, especially team sports: silver for volleyball and basketball mens, gold for women's water polo. The only thing missing was a medal for the women's volleyball team. What do you think about Nadia Centoni?

• To be honest, Velasco is so odd choice that he would make sense on many levels: first, he's experienced as f..., second, he's the insider-outsider (has close contacts with federation but hasn't worked with women since 1998, I think, so in a way he's definitely outside of this circus), third, he's all-time great coach, so I guess he has some respect even with group of female players, fourth, he'll work in Serie A, so he would get some instant coverage of NT players for a whole season.

Whether he makes sense from technical and chemistry standpoint (72yo dude from the male volleyball coaching ~25yo girls) is another question, it's basically an unknown, but I kinda like this option, cause I believe this is someone that can get all the players on a board regardless of the past and has a potential to make it work.

• To be honest, Velasco is so odd choice that he would make sense on many levels: first, he's experienced as f..., second, he's the insider-outsider (has close contacts with federation but hasn't worked with women since 1998, I think, so in a way he's definitely outside of this circus), third, he's all-time great coach, so I guess he has some respect even with group of female players, fourth, he'll work in Serie A, so he would get some instant coverage of NT players for a whole season.

Whether he makes sense from technical and chemistry standpoint (72yo dude from the male volleyball coaching ~25yo girls) is another question, it's basically an unknown, but I kinda like this option, cause I believe this is someone that can get all the players on a board regardless of the past and has a potential to make it work.

It can't get any worse than now... It can't get any worse than now... The Italians, first of all, have to win their matches mentally, because they lost against Turkey at Euro and against Poland yesterday in a similar way - at the end of sets ( 2 and 3 with Poland/ 4 with Turkey) and then gave up in the last sets.

• I remember that the Italians played very well in Athens 2004 but unfortunately they lost after a very fierce match against Cuba in the 1/4. Those olympics games were very good for Italian sports, especially team sports: silver for volleyball and basketball mens, gold for women's water polo. The only thing missing was a medal for the women's volleyball team. What do you think about Nadia Centoni?

I liked her. Very passionate. And a very good player overall.

She went out of the radar when she signed for Cannes and missed a lot of years in NT. She could have a better NT career if she stayed in Italy.

• I liked her. Very passionate. And a very good player overall.

She went out of the radar when she signed for Cannes and missed a lot of years in NT. She could have a better NT career if she stayed in Italy.

He was a perfect substitute for Togut and then for Aguero. She wasn't good enough to play in the first team. If I were to compare her to someone, maybe it would be Romano from the men's team? Was Centoni left-handed? I believe that such players are also very much needed: someone who accepts his role as a substitute in the team but is good enough to bring a lot of quality to it. In cycling it's called: gregario di lusso.

• Babe, you forgot Brazil who constantly produces amazing middles. But I forgive you :lol:

Carol is not an attacking MB for sure although she is one of the best blocking MBs. I was giving examples of all-around middles who could do both. Thaisa is one of those though