2023 Women's Volleyball Nations League

• winning VNL does mean something. Congratulations on that. I enjoyed watching Gizem. She was incredible.

however, pushing the narrative that VNL is basically a wc win is ridiculous and deserves ridicule.

You ridicule yourself enough so I don't have to do anything. Noone said vnl equals to WC. Are you dyslexic or what? I said it is becoming more and more important.

• who's saying it is? WC is 5 points heavier.

Some people who can't understand what she reads:roll:

• This just means that vnl is becoming more and more prestigious and important tournament. Especially now that wch is a biannual event, the gap between winning WCh and VNL won't be huge.

For me Only criticisizm to vnl is that it has core teams which creates inequality towards nonecore teams. I hope they will abolish this rule with new cycle starting from 2025

The problem is the NT roster is too large. It should limit the number of players to 16 and each player has to play at least 3 weeks / legs. This way it creates more fairer and equality to players and teams. Some NT played their players throughout the tournament (China for example) - these players are more tired than those players who just played 1 or 2 legs then if their team gets into the quarters especially the 1st place, these players get the chance to get the individual awards. Individual awards just count the performances maybe starting the semis or finals. Individual awards should be given to players who have played for at least 3 weeks/ legs. This way, players will take the tournament seriously.

• The problem is the NT roster is too large. It should limit the number of players to 16 and each player has to play at least 3 weeks / legs. This way it creates more fairer and equality to players and teams. Some NT played their players throughout the tournament (China for example) - these players are more tired than those players who just played 1 or 2 legs then if their team gets into the quarters especially the 1st place, these players get the chance to get the individual awards. Individual awards just count the performances maybe starting the semis or finals. Individual awards should be given to players who have played for at least 3 weeks/ legs. This way, players will take the tournament seriously.

I dont think this is a problem. Some teams that didn't play with their main players were punished by missing quarterfinals and the ones who use their main roster reached to finals. It is up to each federation to decide how much they want to invest in this. I don't see any problem in rotating players between tournaments

• What happened in the 2nd leg?

Please do not take it offence and I know that it was a bit harsh critic but especially what had happened after the final game, really made sick every volleyball fans and that's why it was written with a little bit of anger, due to that disappointment, however all is true. I was pushing myself to remember, exactly when these issues were happened and found out that, power failures in the sports center was during the match between Türkiye and Poland. During the match, half of the lights went off and back again repeatedly and referee had to stop the match several times. Teams were so motivated that, in spite of this desperate situation, they decided to continue to play in semi darkness. This is quite visible in the highlight video as well, if you watch it carefully.

There were also water (rain) leakage from the roof into the court (probably due to heavy rain) and that was another reason to stop the match for a few times for cleaning and drying, which was taking long and as far as I remember, it was during the same match. Also during the challenge reviews, there were several technical problems in several matches, which caused long breaks.

I think that, everything should be well prepared, organized and should be perfect in such international organizations.

• very good number indeed. I just hadn’t the impression that she was good on attack when Turkey needed. Imo during the game she was the most fragile on attack by Turkey. I can be wrong.

Yes my friend, you are not mistaken and % correct. People usually takes the raw numbers (number of kills or kill percentage. However, attack efficiency is more important than any other statistics in volleyball (for a hitter). There are grades on every criteria and you can evaluate the attacks for an attacker or MB by looking at her efficiency at attack. Similarly for the blocks, you can calculate the block effciency of an MB to see, how she is doing at blocks and assess the criterias together (block and attack).

Now, if we look at Derya's performance during the semi final and final matches, she did not perform well as expected from her or what many fans or spectators or users thinks so. Derya had a performance in attack efficiency in both matches %11. What exactly this means? Well it means poor performance in attack zone. The other question can be WHY, or HOW?

Here we go. Attack efficiency >30% means, she is expected to be a high contributer in attacks

Attack efficiency <30% and >20% means she is expected to be good or an average contributer in attacks (depends on the number, in between this range).

Attack efficiency <20% means, she is expected to have a poor performance, low contributer and as much as the number goes down, it might end with the title no contributer or negative contributer, depending on the number of win/loss in other criterias such as serve blocks and reception.

How is this calculated? It is calculated by taking the difference (subsraction) of attack errors (blocks+direct error) from the succesful attacks (kills), divided by the total number of attacks.

Usually block errors (not for the one hitter hits which are included in attack errors, but the ones while hitter tries to block the opponents attack) are not included but in order to get the exact contribution to the match or tournament success, the above mentioned block numbers, should be incuded in the calculation.

Please also note that, low number of attacks might result with low number of contribution, even if the efficiency is <30% but >20%

Another key point is, even if the efficiency is <30% and >20% and W/L is highly negative in other other areas, this also might result with low contribution.

So overall, Derya's contribution to USA semifinal match is 1 point and 0 point to China final match.

Below table, clearly indicates the low contributing or negative contributing spikers, based on attack efficiency right after the 3rd week and key points as explained above is also covered in the table for Peralta's and Wang Yunlu's statistics.

So maybe this information will help to those pretentious people, before making any comments on Turkish Team led by Santarelli, about who is in and who is out, and stop spreading the wishful thinkings.

Personally, I like Derya and she has done really a good job. Especially as a player sat on the bench for a year and not allowed to be transferred to Galatasaray. I would like to see her in my team, after an exciting adventure in Japan at Kurobe.

I am sure that, she will get more experience, gain more self confidence and she will be more productive to any team she involves (my wish to my team) but at the same time I want to stress that, during the absence of İlkin, who had an injury after Brazil match, Derya found the opportunity to play in Semifinal and final but this does not make her, the best OH and does not mean, she was preferred by Santarelli instead of İlkin. I will share more details soon.

İn addition to all above, I still question Santarelli's preference about 2 players;

1- Why Saliha Şahin has kept in the roster of this tournament (from the beginning, till the end), while having such pathetic statistics in all areas. Everyone is questioning Hande and mostly they are right and personally I don't like her personality, attempting continuously to get in front of everyone, by trying to be mediatic. But at the same time everyone should admit that, she is the best defending OH (clearly visible in the statistics) and might be needed anytime.

2- I did not understand, why Meliha was called in the roster, since she was kept on bench in the whole tournament except the match with Brazil. She was sent on the court in a very critical moment, she meet with the ball for the first and the last time, scored the point and then back to bench and not even included in the finals roster. Anyone has any idea?

I have more to talk about, but for now let's get back to table and see the picture as mentioned above and indicated below.

Shirt Team Player Name Attack Total Attack . Eff % Ttl. Net Pts. Per Match
    4 DOM Peralta Luna Vielka Michelle 28 21.43 0.30
    7 TUR Baladin Hande 161 20.50 1.73
    10 CHN Wang Yunlu 249 20.48 0.42
    1 SRB Busa Bianka 202 18.81 0.27
    1 THA Srithong Wipawee 127 16.54 -0.36
    1 KOR Daeun Kim 212 16.51 1.63
    11 CAN Mitrovic Andrea 128 15.63 1.00
    10 CRO Karatović Dijana 169 15.38 0.75
    5 BRA Priscila Zalewski Daroit Moreira 87 14.94 0.17
    3 CAN Van Ryk Kiera 221 14.93 0.00
    5 BUL Yordanova Maria 380 14.74 1.92
    97 KOR Kang Sohwi 221 13.57 1.25
    6 GER Antonia Stautz 45 13.33 -0.67
    17 BRA Bergmann Julia Isabelle 186 12.37 -0.70
    19 KOR Pyo Seungju 109 11.93 -0.70
    7 CRO Miloš Laura 192 9.90 -0.75
    18 KOR Kim Miyoun 44 9.09 -0.38
    16 KOR Jeong Jiyun 237 7.59 -1.67
    9 BUL Becheva Elena 279 7.53 -1.08
    16 TUR Şahin Saliha 40 7.50 -1.25
    9 CRO Lucija Milnar 72 5.56 0.00
    13 KOR Park Jeongah 133 4.51 -0.75
    12 CRO Marković Josipa 57 3.51 -1.11
  • VNL for both men and women are over for this year, but more volleyball action are on the way. End of July/Beginning of August will see 4 international women’s competitions hosted by Asian countries, or involving Asian teams. Threads have been created for all these events...

July 27-30 2023 FIVB Challenger Cup in Laval, France where Vietnam will be participating

Here is the thread

July 28-Aug8 Summer World University Games (Universaide) in Chengdu, China

Here is the thread

Aug 1-11 Women’s u19 World Championship in Croatia/Hungary

Here is the thread

Aug 4-6 2023 SEA V. LEAGUE (leg 1) in Vietnam - Previously the league was known as ASEAN Grand Prix (AGP) It will involve Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam...

Here is the thread

There are events in other parts of the world as well (North, South and Central America and Europe) around this time...

avid , volleySrb would you guys like to add to this list?

We also have a general thread for Asian Women’s volleyball updates, events and discussions.

here

• Aug 15th - Sep 3rd European Championship 2023

here is the link

Aug 17-26 Women’s u21 World Championship in Mexico

here is the link

There is also Balkan u21 Championship - August 2-6