CEV Champions League 2024

• Did Vargas not play today ? Why isn’t she in right now

• Congratulations for MTV Stuttgart:flower:

Well deserved victory. They are Real TEAM. Work well together almost each year in CL. They dont afraid any team.

• This 5th set is gonna be number one exhibit in my argument about Mirosavljevic being the Busa successor for Serbia. It sucks that she probably won't get another chance in NT but I hope Gio is watching.

What a fight from Stuttgart though. :super: This match reminds me of Potsdam vs Vakif duel from last year.

• WOW WOW WOW!!! Great teamplay and fight by Stuttgart:super::box:

Bongaerts with great contribution! Segura bringing stability from position 4 and Knollema also pretty solid! Kudos to Mirosavljevic for her defensive effort in the tie-break. Koskelo with amazing defense, but also with stable reception this time. Strubbe with important service and Timmerman effective in attack! Ofcourse Rivers being Rivers👏

• It’s funny how Fener fans lynched Terzic last year even during CL group stage, but now nobody is talking about how Lavarini did nothing to elevate this team compared to their performance last season

Is it just me or is Gizem having not that great season, I guess NT duties and playing without break got some of the players this season

• I guess the way to beat Fenerbahce is low error rate and crazy fast sets to OH :cheesy: again great subs that made a difference, with Mirosavljevic doing great in backrow and Vanjak > Segura for one block rotation to add pressure there

I can agree with all of that, but good serve is number 1 way to beat them. Guidetti got that last year with forcing short/deep serves on them instead of targeting players with float. They can play with passing high even away from the net, but giving negative/low pass kills their whole offensive tactics

• ...but good serve is number 1 way to beat them. Guidetti got that last year with forcing short/deep serves on them instead of targeting players with float. They can play with passing high even away from the net, but giving negative/low pass kills their whole offensive tactics

While I agree with this, Stuttgart also played the best they could possibly play or close to that, but I can't say it's the same for Fener. I don't know the date situation and how close is Vargas to playing full-time again, but even half of Ana C. from last season would have been enough to win this game.

While Ana C. level after the injury is still up in the air, having Vargas means you can play Stysiak as OH, a sub that is gonna be huge imo. The only way I see Stuttgart repeating this and winning the next game is if Vargas is still not playing. But, even if they can have her sub in just a couple of times in key moments when some player falls off, that can be very useful.

• While I agree with this, Stuttgart also played the best they could possibly play or close to that, but I can't say it's the same for Fener. I don't know the date situation and how close is Vargas to playing full-time again, but even half of Ana C. from last season would have been enough to win this game.

While Ana C. level after the injury is still up in the air, having Vargas means you can play Stysiak as OH, a sub that is gonna be huge imo. The only way I see Stuttgart repeating this and winning the next game is if Vargas is still not playing. But, even if they can have her sub in just a couple of times in key moments when some player falls off, that can be very useful.

Absolutely, but I was talking more in general sence then about this game only :drink:

Vargas is very unlikely to be in better shape in just a week though

• Absolutely, but I was talking more in general sence then about this game only :drink:

I get where you are coming from. My argument was just that even if Stutgar implements the same serving strategy in the next game, having Vargas is a huge factor so even if they repeat this atrocious reception performance they have a higher chance of winning. Reception is their kryptonite for sure, I just think Vargas helps move those margins for mistakes to manageable levels.

• I get where you are coming from. My argument was just that even if Stutgar implements the same serving strategy in the next game, having Vargas is a huge factor so even if they repeat this atrocious reception performance they have a higher chance of winning. Reception is their kryptonite for sure, I just think Vargas helps move those margins for mistakes to manageable levels.

not in her current shape she doesn’t

• I get where you are coming from. My argument was just that even if Stutgar implements the same serving strategy in the next game, having Vargas is a huge factor so even if they repeat this atrocious reception performance they have a higher chance of winning. Reception is their kryptonite for sure, I just think Vargas helps move those margins for mistakes to manageable levels.

Sure, Stuttgart didn’t break the code on how to beat Fenerbahce, they just gave their best this game and it paid off, they played that 5th set well above their usual level.

Not that it can translate to next game in Istanbul, but I count on them to give good fight there as well, the point is that they were successful in using Fener’s weakness once and they could do it again.. it’s on Fener to fight back and prove they can play better vause they sure have much higher cieling then Stuttgart

• not in her current shape she doesn’t

And what shape is that? I haven't seen her play so I can't speak on it.

But, as in my previous post, just having her in rotation for a couple of points can help since Stysiak can be used as OH as well, and I doubt that Ana C. can play worse than this so I also account for her better shape in the future once she has a bit more stable playing time since Vargas allows for both Arina and Ana playing at the same time. If you are thinking to the Conegliano match-up then sure, if you don't have Vargas in her top form this reception is not gonna be enough but I think they still have time to bring her and Ana C. to form for the end of the season.

• Without any doubt this was an outstanding performance by Stuttgart, maybe the best this season. Fenerbahce missed a top shape Vargas and suffered from weak reception by Ana Christina, but they have not really learned from last year, that Stuttgart can be pretty dangerous in own hall in front of us very loud, helpful fans.

• It’s funny how Fener fans lynched Terzic last year even during CL group stage, but now nobody is talking about how Lavarini did nothing to elevate this team compared to their performance last season

Because Lavarini isn’t the one to blame for Vargas and Ana Cristina’s injuries?

Yes he could have done something different to avoid this 5-set loss to Stuttgart, but FB is still the favourite to win in next match with home crowd advantage and advance, he wouldn’t be blamed too harsh unless they lose again and get eliminated.