Golden formula - radical new rule in volleyball

• The Golden Formula playing system requires that the first attack for each team begin from the back row in an attempt to produce longer rallies.

The rule will be used in Qatar during men´s club world championship in November. It will be the first time for the FIVB to test the rule.

The Golden formula 4 point concept:
    1. The amendment intends to increase the duration of rally in order to "keep the ball flying" and to reduce interruptions. The most admirable scores (Points in Volleyball) that draw cheer and applause of fans are those finishing lengthy rallies, as they are effortful and diversified, attract the masses and hold them in tension.

2. The study pertains to major historical difficulties of the game, and so the treatment should necessarily be such daring

3. Change to the best is an indispensable principal of development and so the Golden Formula is a breathe of fresh air to the game.

4. Neutralizing the domination of giant players over volleyball, although they represent 15 % of the world population will encourage other participation from the 85 % majority to join the game. This will certainly ensure great boom to the popularity of Volleyball in the future.

Facts:
    Volleyball has too many interruptions and short duration of rally. In a match of 5 sets the maximum actual rally takes avg. of 25 minutes and the interruptions take avg. of 100 minutes i.e. 20 % rally and 80 % interruptions. (avg. of 337 legal interruptions).

Contrarily to our game name (VOLLEY) volleyball currently has the less flying ball duration among other ball sports and accordingly less variations of the spectacular air-borne skills compared to other ball sports.

from Golden formula

source: volleycountry.com

• This is absolutely crap!!! With this new rule the attacks will become more predictable! The variosity of a setter's options will be gone and instead of longer rallies we will end up with the same length of rallies just because the pipe attack invoked will be predictable and will often end in the block! What wrong did they see in today's rules that they want to desparately change?!?!?!

Volleyball has too many interruptions and short duration of rally.

well, this new rule is not going to change it!!! Interruptions are something normal for a game where the ball is supposed to be flying and then it takes some time to reorder the players in the new rotation and serve! It's just the ideology if the game and should always happen even if it takes a bit longer sometimes. Imagine these interruptions taking place in a final match! They are supposed to be longer then because of the pressure and game's importance! In my opinion, they should reduce the number of time-outs to reduce the interruptions, not to change the rules of the game!

Volleyball is interesting just because it's marvellous to see the setter improvizing and helping the attackers drill the floor! For longer rallies we will always have some brilliant defenders! How often is not clear, but that's part of the game you can't predict! I don't like this rule, I hope they never ever approve it and reject it as soon as possible :thumbdown:

• Oh my God what a ridicolous formula. Hope it wont work in club championships

• I hope this stupid rule never be applied. This is absolutely ridiculous. Maybe they should suggest that the serving team should decide the way their opponents whould attack the first ball so that they could position their block and defense. That would produce even longer rallies. Gimme a break!

• I've heard about it. I don't like it at all. It sounds very stuppid and it will probably look stupid as well...

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• Ha! They must be joking, right ?! :thumbdown: I definately DO NOT like it. I hope that they will realize in time how bad idea this is in deed

Wild Wild West!

..............................................................................................

" There is nothing better than this"

..............................................................................................

• This is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope they will realize fast how stupid it is!!!! I can't imagine this rule being introduced to volleyball for good!!! Who in the world had this crazy idea?????

• ahahaha
    maybe they should make the li bero able to attack too
    ^.^
    at least there will be 3 attackers that way? fabi would be out of a job.
    edit: vball is beginning to sound like table tennis... never ending rallies.. oh wait! those end too. hrmph

• The review of 'golden formula' was written by international coach Roberto Serniotti on the site http://www.volleyball.it Here is a quick ‘translation’ of his main points made by Mark Lebedew http://devovolleyball.com/2009…/golden-formula/#comments

- The middle blockers are virtually completed excluded from the attack. In one match Trento played one quick attack in five sets.
    - The load for the outside hitters and opposites will increase, not just in matches but also in training, leading to much greater risk of injury.
    - The variation in first attack is virtually non existent. Most attacks are either forward or back. The pipe is no longer a factor as it loses much of its context without the quick attack (most pipes in the tournament are facing a triple block).
    - There is no reason to pass the ball close to the net so the technical level of the game will diminish.
    - Tactics become much simpler as there is little possible variation.
    - The role of the setter will decrease. The setting skills in using the first tempo in relationship to outside attacks to control the block will virtually disappear.
    - The rallies don’t get longer. The average rally is 6 seconds.
    - These are some of the consequences for high level men’s volleyball. What will happen to junior volleyball or women’s volleyball? Will we reach the stage where different levels of volleyball have different rules?

• yeah everyone knows that this formule is stupid and kills the beauty of this sport but what scarers me is THIS --->http://www.reprezentacja.net/siatkowka/aktualnosci/23807 that's article from one of the polish site(well it's translation of article from Russian site). this artcilce says that there was a gathering of players and menagers of teams playing in Doha about advantages and disadvantages of new formula. what's the main points of this discussion??
    "Zaznaczył także przychylne stanowisko oficjeli FIVB. Poczuliśmy
    wszyscy, że prędzej czy później „złota formuła” zostanie wprowadzona,
    że dojdzie do tego. Przypuszczam, że raczej w 2012
    "
    translation:
    "he also noted(the president of Qatar federation)possitive attitude of FIVB of new formule. we all felt like , sooner or later "Golden Formule" will be brought into action. we're assuming it will happened in 2012"
    SCARY :white: :what:

Anyone can support a team that is winning - it takes no courage. But to
    stand behind a team to defend a team when it is down and really needs
    you, that takes a lot of courage.

• Stop it. I am starting to be really affraid of that 8| Crazy idea...

The most important 3:

• They must be joking. I don't believe that someone like the president of Qatar federation can change the rules like this!
    It'll kill volleball!
    Wtf they thinking abt?! What they want to achieve by doing so? ?( 8|
    If they want to reduce such a big differences between the teams from Europe and Asia in this way, they won't be succeed! This new 'golden' rule promotes higher players, so Asian teams won't achieve anything! It's just simplify the game! 8| Do not bring anything good. Instead of taking step forward, they're making step back. :aww: Asian teams will never play big role in volleyball, so I don't understand why these rule might be used?! :white:
    Can someone tell me?

• Great arguments against these f*cked up new rules.. :mad:
    I'm angry as hell while watching Club World Cup... that "golden" formula can't be applied!.. I'm curious who had invented it..ehh :serve:

• Yeah!!!These rules are ridiculous...they change volley!!!Is no loger the same sport!!!!

I think the arguments posted here were perfect!!!!! I keep putting in my mind...how would be female volleyball???!!!!And younger categories???? I mean...volleyball is not only professional one..there is so many amateurs players from different ages all over the world..Come on..kids starts playing it with 10 years or less...how would be game with them playing...I dont think they will use this rule playing..so..what about that...would be good a rule that is atually not applied!!!!

Here in Brasil everyone is complainning a lot...

there were a big report about it in a important newspaper here, and Giba and Bernardinho were extremily against it...Giba even joke with Rodrigão, saying he was going to loose his job :lol: I'll put some parts of the report here...

"Terible, ridiculous, confusing, ugly, weird, misplaced...Yesterday morning, in CT in Saquarema, didnt miss nothing good adjectives for the new rule tested by FIVB in World Clubs Championships, in Doha, Qatar...

...- The rule is horrible. The game was ugly, slow, predictable. Creats misunderstanding for those who are watching. The justification that this will increase the rallies do not aply. Also because the ball falls on the counterattack in the same way. This goes against the popularization of the sport, inhibits the charm of voleyball, which has much to do with variation of plays and speed. I'm against it. afirmed the coach Bernardinho.

In practice, the new rule already showed that teams technically weaker takes an advantage. Was what happen with Cimed/Florianópolis, three times champions of Superleague, that lost in their oppening game, for an inexpressive team from Iran Payakan for 3x1. ...

The capitan Giba was another that didnt like the new rule. For him, this change, in case taked forward, will extinguish the middle players and full the court with Outside hitters and opposites.

- The rule has no place. This is not volleyball. And what we are going to do with the middles? They will have to not exist anymore. - afirmed the outside hitter from Pinheiros/Sky. - The game stays ridiculous and weird, you dont force the service anymore. There were rules that came to be a plus. Even the ball weightless was positive. What we complainned was the fact it was released in Olympic Games, only 15 days after the World League. We didnt have time to adapt.

Bernardinho also wanted to make a point about changes being welcome, but only if make vollyeball more exciting for the public and commercially atractive.

- The end of advantage, for example, simplified the game, made it more dinamic. And that made it better for the comercial matter, since the matches stayed faster and better to broadcast in television, for example. There were games between Pirelli and Atlântica Boavista that last 4h10m - remember the coach.

With the new rule in discussion after the trainning, the middle player Rodrigão was target of jokes from the friend Giba.
    In good-mood, Rodrigão, 30 years old, garanteed not to be worried with the possibility of changing positions inside the court.
    - I'm glad I have three years contract with Pinheiros. Other wise, this new rule could complicate me. - joked the middle, for then criticize the changing. - This is not volley. The game stays limited for the attack of one or two players. Like this, only opposites will play. Will have people making 50 points in one match."

• forcing players to always hit in the backrow can really strain the shoulders,with the bulk of sets given to outside hitters in the backrow, injuries will likely to happen,lots of player will retire early if this rule will be implemented.

• 1 - I would like to show you videos about how spectacular the quick attacks and the quick attack combinations from the Men's World Club Championship and another video confirming that the 3 European teams selected ( not to play quick attack ) or they did not get time to train their professional Quick players to adapt to the new system. Others did.

2 - Also I would like to show you statistics ( ready and easy to be checked confirming that counter attacks percentage jumped to 31% and Interruptions after service reduced to 17%

If you are ready I am ready to upload the videos

• If you are ready I am ready to upload the videos

Go ahead !
    I'm sure we are many to be interested in these videos, and it's not easy to imagine what kind of combinations you are speaking from, and how efficient they are !

What is sure is that the way Trento played and won the championship, is definitely not the way I want volleyball games to look like.
    Furthermore, if Trento was able to defeat an excellent blocking and digging team like Skra, in straight sets, without training and adapt to the system, I'm really worried about the possibility to extend the playtime with this rule. Because, if Trento can improve in attack, Skra can't improve much in blocking.

• 1 - I would like to show you videos about how spectacular the quick attacks and the quick attack combinations from the Men's World Club Championship and another video confirming that the 3 European teams selected ( not to play quick attack ) or they did not get time to train their professional Quick players to adapt to the new system. Others did.

2 - Also I would like to show you statistics ( ready and easy to be checked confirming that counter attacks percentage jumped to 31% and Interruptions after service reduced to 17%

If you are ready I am ready to upload the videos

Upload it if you want. Nothing agaisnt it. But it won't change my mind. I wouldn't like to watch THAT volleyball again.
    Statistics... Statistics are statistics and volleyball is a beautiful sport. "The Golden rule" just makes it predictable, boring and mechanic. When I was a child I had some computer game on old Commodore 64. It was called "Beach volleyball". The Club World Championships reminded me of that game...
    Now I am waitng for such ideas:
    - in basketball, you should shoot 3pointer at the beginning of the each quarter;
    - in football, you need to shoot from 16 meters in your first attack
    - in handball you can't shoot from 7m field in your first attack etc, etc. :roll:

The most important 3: