2018 FIVB World Championship - Japan

• By the way, Wikipedia (sort of reliable information) states that Serbia is already qualified to the final 6. Is it true? In this case Serbia could just play with the bench players and help Japan even more.

Serbia is the only team which has qualified to the final 6. FIVB has just published it some hours before: "

Serbia became the first team to secure their spot among the best six of the FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship in Japan. On Monday, the Balkan squad continued their impeccable winning streak as they have not lost a single set in the seven matches they have played since the start of the tournament."

So, if Terzic wants, he could play with the bench players the next matches. More than "helping" Japan, he could make the starters get a break. Most of all Boskovic and Brakica.

• By the way, Wikipedia (sort of reliable information) states that Serbia is already qualified to the final 6. Is it true? In this case Serbia could just play with the bench players and help Japan even more.

http://japan2018.fivb.com/en/n…ampionship-final?id=79398

FIVB says so too.

If Serbia plays with Zivkovic.... Japan and Netherlands can win for sure.

I think Japan and Holland can win anyway, but of course if players like Ognjenovic, Boskovic or Mihajlovic are rested it will help the opponents a lot.

• So, if Terzic wants, he could play with the bench players the next matches. More than "helping" Japan, he could make the starters get a break. Most of all Boskovic and Brakica.

I think he will use this opportunity to give his players a break, for some of the match at least. Though it could also be important to finish 1st in the pool to get a possibly easier draw in the F6.

• I think he will use this opportunity to give his players a break, for some of the match at least. Though it could also be important to finish 1st in the pool to get a possibly easier draw in the F6.

yeah finishing 1st is important....and I`m usually against resting players...but considering that they are already one player down I would rest Boskovic and Mihajlovic just to be safe,

• are you kidding? besides ITA, many teams can beat JPN: SRB, NED, BRA, CHN, RUS, USA, THA.

we shall see. i still think NED will likely get to final 6 and JPN and BRA will fight for the last spot.

on the other side, one of CHN/USA/RUS will not get there...

• I think he will use this opportunity to give his players a break, for some of the match at least. Though it could also be important to finish 1st in the pool to get a possibly easier draw in the F6.

I would agree about the importance of being 1st, but we all know that the only country that will get a truly easy draw will be Japan, if they qualify.

• There's not going to be any "truly easy draw" with SRB, NED, ITA, CHN, USA (my most likely guess for F6).

ITA, USA, SRB sounds a little bit more competitive than NED, JPN, CHN (if the rules allow these combinations)

Anyway too early to tell who had the hardest path until we know the finalists, as Poland showed us a while ago

• ITA, USA, SRB sounds a little bit more competitive than NED, JPN, CHN (if the rules allow these combinations)

Anyway too early to tell who had the hardest path until we know the finalists, as Poland showed us a while ago

It has to be 1 1st place team, 1 2nd place team and 1 3rd place team. So those groups are possible, but unlikely I would say.

• May be Serbia will also use the titular a bit to 'train' against a strong opponent: so far, Brazil is the only top team they've met, and Brazil isn't even playing that well at the moment.

Anyway, I think they should use the opportunity to rest few players and test others, but not necessarily for two whole matches.

• Just ran across this accidentally on Facebook....apparently Faig Garayev yesterday simply walked away during the 2nd set of ITA-AZE and today also didn't show up to coach the team :what: Did anyone watch that??

Here's the related info on some facebook page:

While being there (at facebook), the same poster, a real volleyball coach, Fabio Menta, so he speaks authoritatively,. unlike those superfluous fans that talk a lot but empty, Fabio writes interestingly and touches the substance to help readers understand what may indeed happen with the TUR team, why having the so big performance contrast in VNL and now in WCH. Just read his following post: "TURKEY EXITS … FROM THE BACKDOOR! (Post 268)"

I am not a fan of facebook, but the posts by Fabio Menta about the world's volleyballs are worth of reading, he really knows what he writes, and he's rather straight forward, as well as rather funny,,, a man with humour!

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

Edited 2 times, last by samsara ().

• I would agree about the importance of being 1st, but we all know that the only country that will get a truly easy draw will be Japan, if they qualify.

If Japan is qualified eventually... then any team being drawn into the same pool as the host will be truly thankful for the luck, for the easier path... :drink:

Btw, if it's truly a pure draw then its outcome is unpredictable (aside from the rule that each pool should consist of no. 1-2-3 teams of any combination, as set by draw). Theoretically the final six pools can just repeat the exact same lineups of 1-2-3 of the Pool E and F by the drawing chance.

EDIT: Okay, thanks sitenoise for the correction.... the FIVB's formula page at WCH doesn't make it very clear, just like the thing of the point-carrying from the Round 1 into Round 2.

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

Edited once, last by samsara ().

• That's one for the history books! :huh:

• Theoretically the final six pools can just repeat the exact same lineups of 1-2-3 of the Pool E and F by the drawing chance.

"In case E1 and E3 are in the same pool, F2 will be automatically allocated to that pool (E1, F2, E3) and E2 in the other (F1, E2, F3)."

• I supposed Hill-Larson would be starters, and would get more and more court time as the competition progresses.. although to be honest I thought MBH would get more playing time..

I think MBH is liability at the back. Hill & Larson has better FD and Reception. MBH is very goon in offense but same as Hill & Larson plus they have other players who can contribute. they need solid reception & FD.

• Not if Serbia beats Japan with 3 points. Right now Japan is one victory and 2 pts ahead of Brazil, so if both teams lose their next match, JPN-BRA will be a final for 3rd place and BRA needs to win it with 3 pts (assuming both lose by 3 pts in the previous match).

IF the Brazilian team is facing such a situation whereas it has to win over the Japanese team with 3 points, not just any win, in the last match to advance to the F6, then it faces some clear risk of being eliminated seeing the team's performance in this tournament.

• Not true. I remember that Andrzej Niemczyk, ex Polish NT coach, was coach of German NT as well. He was telling many times that he lost 5 friendly matches against Brazil and won that one the most important at the Olympics. I guess he was coach at 1988 OG when East Germany beat Brazil 3:1.

The question is, was this a predecessor of current German NT? Remember, there were two at that time, and especially because after the German unison it was revealed (proven), that in GDR systematically doping was applied in volleyball (many players suffered from side effects from it for example), I don't consider them as representatives of all of Germany at all (there was a saying, that Eastern Germany was "Ivan deluxe", kind of elite Russians than, they learned Russian at that time). And the Western Germany team had never success against Brazil I can assure you. But of course this is only my opinion, but Koslowski, as (born) Schwerin inhabitant (former GDR), also doesn't consider it as counting, due to his statement.

• Well, after JPN-SRB in 2012 Olympic qualifier that got them both qualified and Thailand out, and only one result would achieve that, I can understand such thoughts...

Yes, I didn't like that event too, it looked to much to comfort both sides in the best way, this is not good for integrity of sports.